Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh yes, of course, he advertised the possibility of making a shitty game so that people would kickstart him money to make it. Hope he's happy giving refunds.
Yeah, no. If it's terrible, you still have my money.
Caveat emptor. Don't give money upfront if you can't handle the risk.

I like how Roguey changed it's tune from "Sawyer is the best designer on the Planet, his game will be great, just you see" to "his game will be great for me and others like me, the rest of the world, tough luck. Be carefull who do you give money on kickstarter suckers".
When have I ever been the former and not the latter? Show me a post where I said grognards would enjoy the Pillars of Excellence.

Rake

Arcane
I like how Roguey changed it's tune from "Sawyer is the best designer on the Planet, his game will be great, just you see" to "his game will be great for me and others like me, the rest of the world, tough luck. Be carefull who do you give money on kickstarter suckers".
When have I ever been the former and not the latter? Show me a post where I said grognards would enjoy the Pillars of Excellence.
It depends solely on how much of the IE audience is grognards. If a sizable portion of them are,and dislike the system, Sawyer will have failed as a designer of PoE.
But don't worry about your idol. Avellone and Feistenmaker will salvage his wreck in typical Obsidian fashion.
(i find funny though that a "core gameplay is king" designer like Sawyer does much better job in the narrative part of systems(reputation mechanics, CYOA interactions etc.) while his combat/character system is so mixed bag. He belongs to Obsidian after all.)

Last edited:

Waterd

Augur
RTwP is broken because it forces the player to design the game. However most turn based systems have the same problem.

Real time games intend you to limit your amount of actions to the capability of your skills. I hate it but it test a specific core of skills set, and let the designer decide how to test it.
Turn based games with infinite time are problematic, because they allow you to think the answer to a specific position of pieces, but it gives you unlimited time so you have to control and design your own time limits. Turn based with infinite times require you to design your games, and generally people choose a number that keep constant through their play. I do not like it but is better than...
RTWP not only have now the turn based problem, now you also design how often you can pause. And it´s terrible because optimal numbers are like pause evrery second. Creating a more annoying state than turn based games, with also the problem of turn based games. Also graphically is a lot worse because everytime you pause you do not have a clear state of the situation. First you must understand what´s really going on, and hope you understand the rules of the game with respect to the animations. It´s very common to stop a RTWP and now knowing exactly what is going on.

Turn based game with time limit= the best system, but there are almost zero games with it that are singleplayer

but going back to RTWP. Is like taking turn based games, and pile up on top of it a lot of problems. So it´s without doubt the worst possible system.
having said that Baldur gate and sister are so far of interesting games with interesting and challenging mechanics, and more like sandbox where you play with your toys, that having a system that you can adjust to your wishes to the point of being GOD suits them very well.
I do not understand why those games do not have buttons that give you god mode, heal all your life, instant kill anything you want or so on. Those are the bad design decisions, those interactive systems should have those features as it´s aimed to a public that look that kind of ¨sandbox¨, Im sure they will be appreciated.
The lack of it, confuses people that look for a challenging GAME with a goal and ambigous decision about how to reach that goal. and make waste time to those people like me. they shouldn´t be called games, they should be called sandboxes or toys or interactive godlike software.

Waterd

Augur
I ended losing my last challenge on the entrance to the cave early on by being mass frozen. Im going to start again with this set of rules and the new version.

Ironman, except with instant death traps (those are bad design imo)
Hard.
No crafting
No-prebuffing or out of combat attack or spells (Despite what people say its very valid to prebuff in this game)
Can´t sell normal weapons armor or accesories.
Can´t steal
No summonings
No glass cannon
No leech
No zombie
No charm arrows

drae

Augur
Any news regarding the new companions and when they will be added?

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is there any C&C in the game??

I've killed Grutilda's child, but she doesn't seem to care at all. There isn't option in dialog to tell her that...

Cadmus

Arcane
Is there any C&C in the game??

I've killed Grutilda's child, but she doesn't seem to care at all. There isn't option in dialog to tell her that...
I actually killed the child without talking to ..it... because the dialogue would always get bugged and I didnt even get the quest XP or any word from Madora about it=/ that sucked, I was hoping the game would react to that event even with no dialogue initiated. The same thing happened with the armory key in Hunter's edge. I only got the dialogue option to turn it over to the orcs after Id talked to the bartender even though the key had been already in my inventory

On a brighter note, I finally got to fight the death knights, on lvl 17 and they totally brutalized my until now overpowered party. I'll have to redo the fight again today to get it right.

Waterd

Augur
Mm, I died again with no chance on the same fight than the past run, it seems that with these restrictions the fight of the undead to enter the cave is really hard, specially because to survive until this point i need to use a lot of scrolls. I think i will have to soften up the challenge a bit.
It´s incredible how much difference summons make.

I think I will go with this next time
Ironman, except with instant death traps (those are bad design imo)
Hard difficulty
No crafting
No-prebuffing (Despite what people say its very valid to prebuff in this game)
Can´t sell ingredients.
Can´t steal (With the exception of keys, books and parchments, since that is needed to advance the game , since that is needed to advance the game)
Can only open doors, shelves and chests (can´t open boxes, baskets and similar)
No summonings
No glass cannon
No zombie
No charm arrows
Can´t Flee past the first round.

Last edited:

sbb

Learned
Waterd is sort of an interesting creature to watch. Keep going imo

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"RTwP is broken because it forces the player to design the game. However most turn based systems have the same problem.

Real time games intend you to limit your amount of actions to the capability of your skills. I hate it but it test a specific core of skills set, and let the designer decide how to test it.
Turn based games with infinite time are problematic, because they allow you to think the answer to a specific position of pieces, but it gives you unlimited time so you have to control and design your own time limits. Turn based with infinite times require you to design your games, and generally people choose a number that keep constant through their play. I do not like it but is better than...
RTWP not only have now the turn based problem, now you also design how often you can pause. And it´s terrible because optimal numbers are like pause evrery second. Creating a more annoying state than turn based games, with also the problem of turn based games. Also graphically is a lot worse because everytime you pause you do not have a clear state of the situation. First you must understand what´s really going on, and hope you understand the rules of the game with respect to the animations. It´s very common to stop a RTWP and now knowing exactly what is going on.

Turn based game with time limit= the best system, but there are almost zero games with it that are singleplayer

but going back to RTWP. Is like taking turn based games, and pile up on top of it a lot of problems. So it´s without doubt the worst possible system.
having said that Baldur gate and sister are so far of interesting games with interesting and challenging mechanics, and more like sandbox where you play with your toys, that having a system that you can adjust to your wishes to the point of being GOD suits them very well.
I do not understand why those games do not have buttons that give you god mode, heal all your life, instant kill anything you want or so on. Those are the bad design decisions, those interactive systems should have those features as it´s aimed to a public that look that kind of ¨sandbox¨, Im sure they will be appreciated.
The lack of it, confuses people that look for a challenging GAME with a goal and ambigous decision about how to reach that goal. and make waste time to those people like me. they shouldn´t be called games, they should be called sandboxes or toys or interactive godlike software."

You really are an ignorant toolbag.

Waterd

Augur
Pleasure derived from sex is not on the challenge. The comparision is terrible

Waterd

Augur
Btw, to those that do not understand why I post how i do my runs, is that I would have appreciate that someone did a list of everthing that is op so i can play without that. Sadly I had to do my own trial and error, so I guessed there is people that would value my input , because I woudl have appreciated.

If you noticed I did similar things on the DS SL threads and KOTC threads and people have said they appreciate it.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Thanks. I'm more interested in the whole balancing aspect. I understand the endgame battles became boring, and that they had some plans in mind to improve that part of the game.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Now that I'm finally getting around to playing this, there are a few things I find aggravating, mainly to do with skills and character creation:

• Charisma is by all accounts fairly useless aside from a very few notable exceptions.
  • Lucky Charm, when maxed out, gives you a sub-10% chance to find an additional mundane or slightly magical item or a bit of extra gold in chests, and some additional Offense Rating. Wow-ee, I'm jerking my cock just thinking about all that extra swag.
  • Bartering is relatively skippable due to lol economy, although perhaps that's for the best, because fuck Bartering.
  • Lockpicking is relatively skippable thanks to bashing, although there again, perhaps that's preferable to mechanically forcing Lockpicking to be the only means of accessing locked stuff.
  • Newbie trap in the form of only two set companions which might be near-carbon copies of the characters you've already created.
  • Newbie trap in the form of having absolutely no idea what spell schools can ultimately do for you unless you check a wiki, an understandable trap but fairly annoying.
  • Crafting skills easily shunted off onto some hireling, or so I've read.
  • If you're making a Rogue, your customization options are extremely limited, especially if you're not skipping Lockpicking and/or Pickpocketing.
  • Sword-and-board not nearly tanky enough to justify far shittier damage, or so I've read, ESPECIALLY since it calls for an additional skill.
  • Hybridization severely weakens a character, limiting viable customization choices.
  • Instakill traps essentially forcing a reload. Some people don't mind this; I don't mind it if some clue is available giving at least subtle warning. Orc mourning on the beach, I'm looking at you.
  • I read they nerfed summons in that enemies now rarely target them, thus rendering summons near-useless since their offense typically sucks ass. Anyone care to weigh in on that?

None of that's particularly game-breaking, and near-useless skills/dump stats, imbalances, borked economy, etc. are cRPG standards, so that's fine. I think I'm going to at least wait until they release the companions update, though. Hopefully it's not too far away now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom