Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Delterius

Arcane
Someone from Something Awful said
Divinity is so goddamn frustrating that it's almost insulting. It's very enjoyable of course and I'll finish it eventually, but the dialogue and lore is just piss-terrible. The writing style smells of Belgian cultural inferiority complex (I say this as a Belgian who struggles with exactly that).

I had to look this up and only got one result, a usenet post from the 1998.
But is it Fun?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'll tell you after they balance it as best they can.

circ

Arcane
Uhh, ForkTong fixed it. I had the same issue...it is working fine now.

Uhh, not for me, he didn't. The DLC remains unchecked in my Additional Content submenu (and I can't check the box by clicking), it isn't listed in the Steam context menu DLC list for D:OS, and there's no Steam button to press to add or install it in any way.

I just now started a new game and slogged all the way to fucking Cyseal to confirm the cage is empty. Here it is:

I don't see a Scandinavian woman in that cage. I see her bow, but no Bairdotr.
Same here. Haven't started a new game just checked out Additional Content which I wasn't aware of before. Source Hunter is tagged, additional companions isn't - and I can't click it either. Have no interest in starting a new game now.

EDIT: lulul. it seems they forgot to add some file to the GoG updater. I don't know how the Steam thing works or not. For the GoG version - install update, go into the Larian folder in documents, then DOS, DLC and create a new file with no extension, text file is fine just remove the extension. Name it 322490. I don't know if it makes the characters actually show up but Bear and Burglar is now ticked in Additional Content for me so should (?) work.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Wow, the gog release of the dlc goes just as smooth as the original release.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

msxyz

Augur
The Steam version of the companions plugin is now fixed. The DLC can be downloaded and, ingame, the additional content can be enabled.

A good opportunity to play D:OS again one more time...
:love:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
as big as the game is, it feels very linear. I didn't finish it and I doubt I'll start a new game.
the writing is terrible, plot boring, setting too silly. the combat is alright but it gets tiresome after a while. mouse targeting is wonky and irritating and the randomized loot is horrible.
music is competent but does not fit the game's areas. probably what happens when you shove in a lot of music for the sake of having a lot of music.
for all its content, it feels very shallow.
:2/5:

msxyz

Augur
as big as the game is, it feels very linear. I didn't finish it and I doubt I'll start a new game.
the writing is terrible, plot boring, setting too silly. the combat is alright but it gets tiresome after a while. mouse targeting is wonky and irritating and the randomized loot is horrible.
music is competent but does not fit the game's areas. probably what happens when you shove in a lot of music for the sake of having a lot of music.

...and yet it's probably the closest thing to a decent RPG we'll see this year. :P

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014

...and yet it's probably the closest thing to a decent RPG we'll see this year. :P
As much as I've taken regular shits on Wasteland 2, I think I'll enjoy it more than Original Sin. Unless those corridor valley area designs completely ruin it.

Pillars in its current state is probably the worst of all the games. Graphics are the best, UI is decent, but the design falls flat. Character system feels bland and combat is meaningless and 'filler'-ish and it's all too chaotic and fast. But if they somehow fix that (but I have a feeling they won't), it has the potential to be the best of all KS RPGs. Of course, it also depends on all the aspects we haven't really seen yet - story, characters etc.

I know it's not bound for this year, but still:
Numenera could be great. It's the game in which Ziets is the most involved. It's turn-based. It tries to do something new. It probably has the most fresh story and characters.

Also... I wouldn't call it an objectively better game, but I enjoyed playing Might & Magix X more than I enjoyed playing Original Sin. I've even enjoyed the Diablo III expansion more than this game.

msxyz

Augur
Let's hope Numenera will deliver something good. I've lost all my hopes about PoE (ouch, the butthurt!). It seems all the 'oldtimer' developers sooner or later reach a point after which they are clearly incapable of understanding what made their games great in the first place. In some cases, it's clearly a case of senile dementia (Molineux), for other it's hubris, but for some of them it seems they've simply become... disconnected from what the fanbase asks.

I still need to check M&M X as I haven't got the time...

Volrath

Arcane
Patron

As much as I've taken regular shits on Wasteland 2, I think I'll enjoy it more than Original Sin. Unless those corridor valley area designs completely ruin it.

Pillars in its current state is probably the worst of all the games. Graphics are the best, UI is decent, but the design falls flat. Character system feels bland and combat is meaningless and 'filler'-ish and it's all too chaotic and fast. But if they somehow fix that (but I have a feeling they won't), it has the potential to be the best of all KS RPGs. Of course, it also depends on all the aspects we haven't really seen yet - story, characters etc.

I know it's not bound for this year, but still:
Numenera could be great. It's the game in which Ziets is the most involved. It's turn-based. It tries to do something new. It probably has the most fresh story and characters.

Also... I wouldn't call it an objectively better game, but I enjoyed playing Might & Magix X more than I enjoyed playing Original Sin. I've even enjoyed the Diablo III expansion more than this game.
Then there is literally no hope for you.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Complain about story, setting and combat in D:OS, admit to enjoying Reaper of Souls more. Popamole claims yet another lost soul.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Congrats for breaking even its well deserved its a great game after all. Sure it have some flaws but its one of the games that i have enjoyed the most in a very long time.

Also love the fact that we will continue to see updates to the game with improvements and bug fixes.
Cant wait to see what else you guys have in store for us.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Complain about story, setting and combat in D:OS, admit to enjoying Reaper of Souls more. Popamole claims yet another lost soul.
Who complained about D:OS' combat?
Who made a comparison?

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Who made a comparison?

You said it the combat was "allright, but gets tiresome fairly quickly". Is that not supposed to be a complaint?

You also said you enjoyed RoS more. It stands to reason that you either liked the writing/setting/story better, in which case, lol; or you liked the combat better, which I can only understand if you simply don't like TB. DivOS has very good combat when measured against TB RPGs, while RoS is decent, but unremarkable compared to its peers.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Who made a comparison?

You said it the combat was "allright, but gets tiresome fairly quickly". Is that not supposed to be a complaint?

You also said you enjoyed RoS more. It stands to reason that you either liked the writing/setting/story better, in which case, lol; or you liked the combat better, which I can only understand if you simply don't like TB. DivOS has very good combat when measured against TB RPGs, while RoS is decent, but unremarkable compared to its peers.
I never intended to compare MMX or ROS with DOS. msxyz said D:OS would probably be the closest thing to a decent RPG this year. I mentioned some other games I enjoyed more without going into specifics why I enjoyed them more. Also note that I wrote "I wouldn't call it an objectively better game" for MMX. Apply that to ROS as well if this makes it any easier for you.

A user named cat

My D:OS experience so far:

qG7NpgG.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom