Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
THAT is awesome! :lol:

A user named cat

For the record; there's no hidden meaning there, just random PS.

Enjoying the game so far despite the quirks and game engine, I knew what to expect going in and I'm having a good time with it still - especially the combat. Dialogue isn't bad if you ask me. I don't mind the humorous approach and don't need 'tis-the-plague-our-king-is-evil-what-is-a-paladin-im-looking-for-my-father-maybe-youve-seen-him' conversations in every RPG. Larian gonna Larian, nothing wrong with it. Douches need to lighten up.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
For the record; there's no hidden meaning there, just random PS.

Enjoying the game so far despite the quirks and game engine, I knew what to expect going in and I'm having a good time with it still - especially the combat. Dialogue isn't bad if you ask me. I don't mind the humorous approach and don't need 'tis-the-plague-our-king-is-evil-what-is-a-paladin-im-looking-for-my-father-maybe-youve-seen-him' conversations in every RPG. Larian gonna Larian, nothing wrong with it. Douches need to lighten up.

Larian gonna Larian, douche gonna douche.

Image3.jpg

Mraston

Learned
Starting playing this.

Does the "roleplaying between party members where you choose the dialogue of each party members" go away or gain a purpose? Seems like a real waste of time to me.

Mraston

Learned
Thanks!

It seems a kind of bizarre thing to include, I could just write dialogue between characters myself if I wanted to dictate if characters disagree/agree on things. Weird concept to include in the game.

Cadmus

Arcane
Thanks!

It seems a kind of bizarre thing to include, I could just write dialogue between characters myself if I wanted to dictate if characters disagree/agree on things. Weird concept to include in the game.
it's obviously for the cooperative multiplayer...?

Mraston

Learned
Any one know of a mod or some such to put a "confirm movement" option into combat, the amount of times my dudes have run next to an enemy rather than attack them with a ranged weapon is infuriating.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The game should have used fuzzy targeting somehow instead of simple mouse click. The animations are just too dynamic, and it's gridless, so it's a mess right now without something like that. Fine positioning for backstab is also utter shit since you can't even tell if you'll end up on a position to backstab at the end.

Maybe only making the area around feet (selection circle) clickable would 'solve' it.

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
The game should have used fuzzy targeting somehow instead of simple mouse click. The animations are just too dynamic, and it's gridless, so it's a mess right now without something like that. Fine positioning for backstab is also utter shit since you can't even tell if you'll end up on a position to backstab at the end.

Maybe only making the area around feet (selection circle) clickable would 'solve' it.

We already went over this.
Make the portraits on the initiative order up top selectable as targets.
This works on normal attack, but not special ability last time.

A user named cat

Weird, I haven't had any issues with performing backstabs. I'm knifing everyone using one of the new DLC henchmen. He's actually quite a destroyer once I'm up on someone's ass. If there's one complaint in regards to that, its the enemy AI being too stupid to turn around/maneuver/move and prevent it. They just let me backstab spam.

What really stirs my hate regarding targeting is trying to speak to animals, especially rats who won't stay still. Holy shit, that can drive you nuts.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Weird, I haven't had any issues with performing backstabs. I'm knifing everyone using one of the new DLC henchmen. He's actually quite a destroyer once I'm up on someone's ass. If there's one complaint in regards to that, its the enemy AI being too stupid to turn around/maneuver/move and prevent it. They just let me backstab spam.

What really stirs my hate regarding targeting is trying to speak to animals, especially rats who won't stay still. Holy shit, that can drive you nuts.
Only select the character with the talk to animal skill. Rats won't run away from you now.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

we've been over this, deselect all except for the guy with Pet Pal perk.
There. the Rat / Animal will stop running from you and let you put your meat in.

A user named cat

Ah man, that Braccus Rex fight was a party. Only took two attempts surprisingly. First time getting bombed by that meteor shower and burn-raped was a major gloryhole surprise. Second time spread out and whored summon tanks, one by one they fell. Giant Spider was a destroyer.

A user named cat

I'm starting to realize the biggest problem in Rivellon isn't the undead, it's all the oil spills. Larian needs to do a DLC where you investigate the matter, discover a BP cult and eradicate the menace.

Weasel
I'm starting to realize the biggest problem in Rivellon isn't the undead, it's all the oil spills. Larian needs to do a DLC where you investigate the matter, discover a BP cult and eradicate the menace.

They could have an evil villain running the cult who complains that he "wants his life back" instead of being stuck doing villainous stuff...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
as big as the game is, it feels very linear. I didn't finish it and I doubt I'll start a new game.
the writing is terrible, plot boring, setting too silly. the combat is alright but it gets tiresome after a while. mouse targeting is wonky and irritating and the randomized loot is horrible.
music is competent but does not fit the game's areas. probably what happens when you shove in a lot of music for the sake of having a lot of music.
for all its content, it feels very shallow.
:2/5:
Gonna have to be unpopular and agree with this. Mind you, I've never been a Larian fan. The writing is what destroys it for me. I concur with most of Zed's points, though I think the combat is fairly fresh in the use of environmental hazards. It's something I haven't seen done that way in a game before. But this is a good example of how bad writing and a lackluster setting (things all Larian games seem to suffer from) can bring down a game that may otherwise have been quite enjoyable. That said, I do appreciate what they attempted with this game. But let's not beat around the bush, I feel that it's not a very good attempt.

Knut

Educated
as big as the game is, it feels very linear. I didn't finish it and I doubt I'll start a new game.
the writing is terrible, plot boring, setting too silly. the combat is alright but it gets tiresome after a while. mouse targeting is wonky and irritating and the randomized loot is horrible.
music is competent but does not fit the game's areas. probably what happens when you shove in a lot of music for the sake of having a lot of music.
Gonna have to be unpopular and agree with this. Mind you, I've never been a Larian fan. The writing is what destroys it for me. I concur with most of Zed's points, though I think the combat is fairly fresh in the use of environmental hazards. It's something I haven't seen done that way in a game before. But this is a good example of how bad writing and a lackluster setting (things all Larian games seem to suffer from) can bring down a game that may otherwise have been quite enjoyable. That said, I do appreciate what they attempted with this game. But let's not beat around the bush, I feel that it's not a very good attempt.

:bro:

A user named cat

A shittastefag, furryfag and newfag go into a bar, Swen looks up and says, "Get the fuck outta here."

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I do agree with the complaints about overall mechanics (outside of environmental effects), randomized loot (well, more-so that loot power level increases so much), etc. Also that nonlinearity and non-combat issues deteriorated as the game went on.

But complaints about the writing is silly. I find one issue with the plot - that in the end you are the only people that can beat the bad guy. But the rest of the plot details are interesting, such as most of the conflict due to a strained love triangle, the PCs completely forgetting who they used to be, Astarte being an innocent Pandora-like character, etc.

And as far as the setting being silly, that's also a silly argument. A game's setting can be whatever it wants to be. It's the execution of the setting what matters, not the choice of the setting. Note I'm not judging the execution of DOS's setting, just that the argument is retarded. A silly setting is fine if it is implemented well. If you don't like the setting, then that's your subjective preference coming up inappropriately in an objective analysis of a game/book/movie/whatever. Might as well say Nolan's Batman is the best@#!@$@!@$ because it is realistic.

The writing and lackluster setting brings down the game? That's retarded. No, the game is brought down by having interesting non-combat quests in the beginning and then deteriorating in that aspect, by having encounters that don't progressively become more difficult (in terms of design, not HP or damage bloat or whatever), later skills that don't really add much utility in relation to early level skills, and shitty loot system.

If you can't understand this, get your head out of your ass and actually think about game design when you play a game.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Eat more carrots to improve eye sight.
Wait. Can't tell if this is a Journey to the West joke or this actually works in game.

Ah man, that Braccus Rex fight was a party. Only took two attempts surprisingly. First time getting bombed by that meteor shower and burn-raped was a major gloryhole surprise. Second time spread out and whored summon tanks, one by one they fell. Giant Spider was a destroyer.
I used the door as a bottleneck. Yeaaahhh fatass bosses can't get through.

sbb

Learned
Lava made that fight ez pz. Teleported the Ghoul into that stuff without knowing it, happy accident. Felt like a total pro afterward.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom