Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I will never understand the love for Larian games on this forum and nobody has ever tried to seriously explain it to me. What do you like about these games? I've played them. Tell me why you like this game / other Larian games.
We're not German.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
4982614+_b75833d08f2e00d6a0946e86cb83b5fc.jpg

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Even better.
The fuck Obsidian?

Wait, are you talking about betas too? Because if that's the case obviously DOS and WL2 have had a lot more.

The Pillars of Eternity beta has had several updates. I just didn't newspost them because I find changelogs as news to be boring. See here: http://forums.obsidian.net/forum/102-backer-beta-announcements/
Nobody cares about your newposts, spammer.

Typical Black posting sequence:

LOL X PEOPLE ARE DUMB FOR Y REASON

"but you've got Y reason wrong"

WELL Z THEN

"nope, also wrong"

NOBODY CARES

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Even better.
The fuck Obsidian?

Wait, are you talking about betas too? Because if that's the case obviously DOS and WL2 have had a lot more.

The Pillars of Eternity beta has had several updates. I just didn't newspost them because I find changelogs as news to be boring. See here: http://forums.obsidian.net/forum/102-backer-beta-announcements/
Nobody cares about your newposts, spammer.

Typical Black posting sequence:

LOL X PEOPLE ARE DUMB FOR Y REASON

"but you've got Y reason wrong"

WELL Z THEN

"nope, also wrong"

NOBODY CARES

ur just jelly

Lhynn

Arcane
I will never understand the love for Larian games on this forum and nobody has ever tried to seriously explain it to me. What do you like about these games? I've played them. Tell me why you like this game / other Larian games.
Larian won me over with D:OS, mechanically speaking that game is fucking amazing. They poured their hearts and souls on it and it shows, and there where this close to make a great one (havent seen dedication like that in a long time). Probably in a few years when all the areas get the polish the starting area had we will have one. Plus the potential from the community making good modules is there, and its something gud.

Divinity 2 was pretty good too. A fun game that had a really good expansion.

The rest i didnt really care for.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Are there still more big features / companions to add to this game? I only want to start it once it's really 'finished'. Also, is the UI still shit?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Are there still more big features / companions to add to this game? I only want to start it once it's really 'finished'. Also, is the UI still shit?
They're adding some new skills (like throwing, wands, dual-wielding) plus a hardcore mode with upgraded monsters. I think they're finished with companions.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
We're not storyfags.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's a strange thing to say since I'm not either, though I don't consider good writing a bad thing.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I really don't appreciate how your argument is making things up. Some of my favorite RPGs have next to no story, such as Wizardry 1 and 8 or Dungeon Master or Knights of the Chalice or, hell, Realms of Arkania with its clumsy (yet somewhat charming) writing. I am very fond of games that focus on tactical combat. You will need to learn that you can't just pigeon hole people into categories. I like every genre of RPG, solely on its merits as a game. Naturally if it's focused on the story I expect it to be good, if it's focused on the combat I expect that to be good and when it's focused on the exploration I expect that to be good. That's why I don't like Skyrim: it's not even the writing, though it's a flaw; it's how similar every dungeon is, making exploration unrewarding. It is a bit similar in this game as there's a whole lot less 'neat things' to find, unlike Ultima 7 where exploring randomly felt rewarding on its own merits.

I object to your wrong classification and I feel like you haven't read my posts carefully if this is the stance you're going to take.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Yeah D:OS is a crpg masterpiece, for me its a symbol of whole genre reborn. From previous games of Larian, Divinity II: Director's Cut [DII with Addon and patches] was great, but first 2 divinity games were mediocre.
Anyway, I think there is no any sense to aruge which crpg is better or why, for me all crpgs are great becouse i love them, dedicated years of gaming for them and thats all.
For example, as Jasede said Skyrim had mediocre story writing and its dungeons were almost as generic as in the Daggerfall. But its hard not to like this game, when you look from perpsective of whole series, their lore and modding potential. I spend over 550 hours in Skyrim from 2011 [haven't played it for a long time now], and play with mods etc. , i created 2 little mods myself and had almost 50gb of installed mods from Nexus for it. Im judging Skyrim as part of the whole Elder Scrolls universe games , look at website Imperial Library, ammount of lore and story content for these games are really deep.
I think Bethesda shoud hire more talented writers and designers to show real greatness of that universe potential. For now they are realeasing mediocre crpg games, with great audio-video at their release times [look at Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim at their times], but what these games really need is more soul into their worlds. For example Skyrim without installed fanmade mod called Interesting Npcs [near 2gb of almost over hundred npcs with great voice acting,nice quests,many dialogue lines, some of them are followers] is boring as fuck. That's the problem, for me new ES games without mods are close to unplayable.
In comparison with D:OS, Fallouts [ i mean original ones], Ultimas, heck even IWD or BG ,etc. they lack large number of memorable characters, lack long and interesting dialogues and it is what kills role playing. Good crpg gives you feeling " wait a moment, i'm really walking inside this world, need a break ;) "
They [ES games] are based not on story, dialogues, awesome quests but on almost generic fights, similar quests etc. While games like D:OS give you complete world, packed with interesting quests, nice stories, not generic npcs, fine writing, great mechanics and YOU DO NOT NEED MODS to ENJOY THEM. But as i said at first, lets enjoy fact that we have both AAA titles like Witcher 3 or DA:I, Mass Effect or like that [which i not praise too much] , and great smaller in terms of marketing titles which are true gems like D:OS, Lords of Xulima [really try it!], Wasteland 2 or upcoming Pillars , Torment etc.
There will be always developers oriented on budget only and sales, like Bioware and sometimes they can make good game but fall into "too much AAA philosophy" , and we will always have smaller pearls like Heroes of Broken Land, Underrail and mentioned above. I will play them all for sure, as im playing most of crpgs i can, even if i don't like some of their concepts. I just love kick into other worlds, thats all.
And great crpg really don't need innovative and groundbreaking story or amazing graphics, it can be "kill the evil dragon" one , but what it really needs is:
-Good Npc's with interesting dialogues - it really need some feeling and time
-Great mechanics , including deep combat system and character development/creation
-Well designed world, full of details, where you feel that designers put whole heart into creation
-Nice lore
-Varied quests with lot of satisfaction, not only "kill 10 rats and gain 10 exp"
-It's nice when player can "shape" the world, even little by his actions

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Some of my favorite RPGs have next to no story, such as Wizardry 1 and 8 ... I am very fond of games that focus on tactical combat.
Games with no movement significance and thus no positional tactics = tactical combat :lol:

It is a bit similar in this game as there's a whole lot less 'neat things' to find
Nothing neat to find in DOS. :lol:

Something tells me you didn't try exploring randomly in DOS.

I object to your wrong classification and I feel like you haven't read my posts carefully if this is the stance you're going to take.
Autism detected.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I don't understand why you have to be such a jerk about it. I like tactical games you nitwit. I love Incubation and JA2 and ToEE and KotC. Yes, I do explore randomly in all my games. And I don't understand why you need to resort to personal attacks. I'm really not certain why you're behaving this way. You're trying to depict me in a manner that is simply untruthful and it's not conductive to a debate. It'd be like attacking someone's position, but that position is merely made up.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I don't understand why you have to be such a jerk about it.
Because you're thin-skinned and easy to provoke.

You're trying to depict me in a manner that is simply untruthful and it's not conductive to a debate.
Lol debating why person A likes a video game while person B doesn't. Very conductive use of time.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I'm NOT trying to convince you or anything; I was just curious to hear what features you might like that I might have missed or may not appreciate the same way you do.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I haven't played any Larian game yet. Will buy Original Sin once it is on sale because i'm a bum. However, best i can tell it seems people liked the original Divinities not because they were particularly good, but because they seemed to be made by people who cared or had good intentions, but simply didn't have the talent or means necessary to make a great game. Apparently, now they do, so those good intentions eventually paid off, and everybody is congratulating Larian for their commitment through out the years, even after so many mediocre efforts.

Would this be correct?

dryan

Arcane
You guys are almost convincing me to give D:OS a second chance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom