Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is what happens when I "create" threads.

Athelas

Arcane
One of the cool things we’re doing to boost our team size is setting up a new office in Quebec City. Our purpose is straightforward: to get access to some of the experience and talent that’s running around there so that our combined craft gets better.
Quebec as in Canada? Home of the talented Bioware? :P And right in time for the mass layoffs that will presumably occur now that DA:I has shipped.

Fixing things is not all we’re doing however, far from it. We’re not hiring all those people just to transform D:OS in a better experience, no, obviously we’re also working on our new RPGs.

Notice the ‘s’. It’s intentional and while I’d love to tell you more about them, I need to refrain for fear of losing whatever press momentum we’ll be able to muster when we’ll announce them.
:argh:

I wish they'd tell us already. Though on the whole, incredibly good news.

Last edited:
Weasel
Good to see Swen feeling positive about the future and making some ambitious plans that sound right up my alley. Just hope they don't expand too much, going "all in" can only work so many times. Would like to see them have the reserves to survive a game that doesn't sell too well too.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You’re not going to see huge animated movies with barely interactive worlds from us in which millions of dollars go to cutscenes. Instead, you’ll see dense, highly interactive worlds where the amount of possible interactions continuously increases and your freedom to do as you want approaches that of a pen & paper RPG. That too costs a lot, but it yields gameplay which is much more up my alley and thankfully, there are a lot of you who enjoy it. As long as that is the case, we’ll keep on making games like this.

Oh Swen, you say all the right things :love:

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm really happy that they've chosen to build on the D:OS engine instead of starting from scratch with their next game - now they can just keep improving the (fairly solid) foundation and focus on creating quality content. :)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yep, we’re fixing parts of the story, improving the UIs, revisiting the encounters, rebalancing the loot, rewriting certain dialogs, adding extra feedback, looking at what we can do to fix character progression, improving the companions etc…

Wasn't expecting that. See, this is why I wait. Looks like Vincke would really prefer I not write them off.

You can iterate less(bad idea), you can reduce scope significantly(bad idea for a RPG) or you can increase team size, with a focus on increasing redundancy and removing bottlenecks from your development process.

Starting off with a reasonable scope is always a fantastic idea. Damn RPGs as a checklist-of-required-features.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
But there’s one I thing I can already tell you, and it fits well with the second big thing we’re doing to improve the quality of our future offerings – both RPGs are being built on top of the D:OS engine.

:yeah:

Which mean MOAR turn-based goodness!

You’re not going to see huge animated movies with barely interactive worlds from us in which millions of dollars go to cutscenes. Instead, you’ll see dense, highly interactive worlds where the amount of possible interactions continuously increases and your freedom to do as you want approaches that of a pen & paper RPG. That too costs a lot, but it yields gameplay which is much more up my alley and thankfully, there are a lot of you who enjoy it. As long as that is the case, we’ll keep on making games like this.

MASSIVE INCLINE!

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Would Kickstart again without hesitation. Congratulations, Sven&co. - I couldn't be happier such a bold gamble ultimately paid off. :salute:
Crossing fingers those Quebec perverts refrain from coming up with any "clever" ideas, keep them on a tight leash as a precautionary measure.

himmy

Arcane
>wins Gamespot PC Game of the Year Awars

>writes dissenting blog-post on why their game sucks

:hero:

Seriously, I know I have a small fetish for modesty, but a company that describes in minute detail the weak points of their successful and acclaimed game a few months after release are looking towards receiving the himmy PC Bros of the Year award.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can't they tell us wtf they are working on already?

Dragon Commander used the same engine as Original Sin, right? That means we won't know exactly what time of game this will be. I hope it's a turn-based game once again.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
Svens blog post is filled to the brim with incline! Nice to see they can expand and have their ambitions set very high.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can't they tell us wtf they are working on already?

Dragon Commander used the same engine as Original Sin, right? That means we won't know exactly what time of game this will be. I hope it's a turn-based game once again.

He said RPGs.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I really hoping they might try an original Sci-Fi setting with this engine. Would be AWESOME.
I have the same wish. One Sci-Fi and one cyberpunk or steampunk. (I'm guessing one of the games will probably be in the Dvinity series. In that case, I hope for an Original Sin sequel.)

What I am hoping for the most, though, is better story and writing than in original Sin. Writing was mediocre and I didn't care all that much about the story. It was all about the gameplay for me.

I'm thinking to myself, Larian building on the combat system of Original Sin and Obsidian doing all the writing. Both companies have programmers and artists on the project.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
They told that they are working on two games. I really hope on of the is cyberpunk or steampunk themes. I'm also very OK for a Dragonlance game (or Lord Soth?)

Sykar

Arcane

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin wins PC GOTY over at Gamespot. Probably old news, but I am happy that this game is getting some recognition.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I really hoping they might try an original Sci-Fi setting with this engine. Would be AWESOME.
They should partner up with SQUAD and give us Kerbality: Original Win :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom