Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Some customers one would pay not to have.

Norfleet

I remember when I first tried it I liked it a lot, but for one thing: the interactions of my two characters. Am I the only one that thinks it's a bit schizophrenic, being both sides of a dialogue? Is there a way to disable that for single campaign play?
Nah, that's not the annoying part. The annoying part is being forced to play an inane minigame that you can't actually influence in any way because the outcome is decided at random anyway, rather than the way you WANT it.

Wulfstand

Prophet
After restarting with different builds 3-4 times, buying a new rack that can actually run the game in a stable and decent manner, restarting again 3-4 more times for good measure, deciding to actually quit the game and leave it be in between those 3-4 tries, I finally manage to get the group I enjoy playing most (a pyro+geo mage and an archer/rogue + the faustian wizard and quixotic warrior with the south-american accent).

The reason why I must've came back to the game so many times is that I couldn't not be attracted to what obviously is the child of a labor of love. Now after reaching level 7 I've grown fully used to the combat system and it doesn't frustrate me as much as it did earlier, but can anyone recommend any tips on other useful spellbooks from different schools outside of pyro/geo? I'll most probably allocate 3 points in all of them in my main and secondary mages, and I just want some helping tips for a starter.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
A lot of schools have strict primary attribute requirement to increase effectiveness, but some don't really care and continues to be effective.
Off the top of my head:
Aeromancer - Teleport
Pick up your enemy and drop him elsewhere. Deals damage as well.

Hydromancer - Rain
This seems like a strange choice, but when you think about it, getting people wet reduces their Air & Water resistance.
This combos so well with:

Aeromancer - Blitz bolt
Low to Medium damage, but the major damage comes from stunning property.
Crowd control wins fight. And when you hit a target with this bolt, the puddle of water (Yes, rain creates puddle) will get electrified as well, spreading it to nearby targets.
Rain > Teleport other enemy to puddle > Blitz bolt > Stun City
If stun fails....

Aeromancer - Bitter Chill
Low AP, does no damage, but it causes Chill.
Why do you want people Chilled? When they're wet...and chilled. They get frozen. Oh shit. A free 4 AP CC skill from 15 meter range. OP.

Hydromancer - Frost Bolt
Same as Blitz Bolt, except it chills. Chills only slow people down, but not if it's wet.
Same principle. Wet > Stun / Frozen.

Those are the strongest, basic combo magic I can think of.
If you take a really high INT mage, most moves are probably unbeatable since you can chain stun/freeze enemies at will with Jahan and your Geo mage.

There's also the crowd favorite: Oath of Desecration under the Witchcraft tree. While under effect, attacks deals 50% more dmg. Fireball, AoE deals shit ton of dmg when cast.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
One thing that absolutely would make combat better is the ability to chose the active combatants in whatever order you want, a la SRR, because as the combat system makes allowances for combination spells you can then work out an efficient strategy as opposed to just having to take the combat turn as they come.

In order to take advantage of the combinations as they are, you have to be able to rely on a correct order of play in choosing your spells/action and to do that you have to know before hand who's going to be learning what skills and make allowances for that taking into account the order your party is in. If you could chose your own party actions order, just as SRR does and that's a REALLY satisfying system, then you would have far more freedom in how you build your characters.

If they changed that.. then ultimately, I suppose, I would accept a patch which messed with other things, because the advantages in this case would far outweigh the disadvantages.

SRR got the feel of the combat spot on, you feel like a team all working together as opposed to, in D:OS, (Wasteland 2 as well as most rpgs are guilty of this too) everyone doing their own thing individually.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
There are spells and abilities that do that or lower enemies resistances,... which raises to hit chance. (judging by that the problem might be a result of incorrectly applied resistances...?)

If you have spells that is. I usually play without mages and healing abilities.
Problem is that you can't build your character in such a way that he will have better chance to hit.

You can't create various character builds. Like light armored fighter that has high acc but lower damage.
Though i don't think rebalancing will fix that.

That will be probably for DOS2 as it would need rather stat overhaul than just re-balancing.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
....Harebrained Studio in Divinity OS Thread.
Uh huh.
Calm down.
Take your meds.

Arkeus

Arcane
You have the GOG version? Awesome! Download the files, back them up to a hard drive somewhere, and you will have the version of the game you want until the end of your days, with no autopatching involved whatsoever.
Amusingly you can do the same with the steam version, as you can run it with steam uninstalled (no drm).

Perkel

Arcane
You have the GOG version? Awesome! Download the files, back them up to a hard drive somewhere, and you will have the version of the game you want until the end of your days, with no autopatching involved whatsoever.
Amusingly you can do the same with the steam version, as you can run it with steam uninstalled (no drm).

That really depends only on how it handles registry keys subject. If game requires them to even start then without installator you are fucked.
To test it you would have to copy DOS folder somewhere else uninstall dos uninstall Steam (because it might reconnect to it) and then run game.

There is also dependency support problem. If game requires something then it usually installs along with game like NET or some other thing so you would have to put those into folder and remember to install them. This is minor issue though.

That is why GOG installators are awesome. Tight and compact and when you choose folder for one of them, installator will remember when to install other games so you essentially have 1 click install for all games.

I know there is general lack of apreciation for good software but GOG installators are best instal software currently on internet this goes as well for uninstalation which removes games in seconds and leave no shit which is common problem for many instalators.

hiver

There are spells and abilities that do that or lower enemies resistances,... which raises to hit chance. (judging by that the problem might be a result of incorrectly applied resistances...?)
If you have spells that is. I usually play without mages and healing abilities.
Problem is that you can't build your character in such a way that he will have better chance to hit.

You can't create various character builds. Like light armored fighter that has high acc but lower damage.
Though i don't think rebalancing will fix that.
That will be probably for DOS2 as it would need rather stat overhaul than just re-balancing.

No, the fighters and rogues have their own lower resistances spell like abilities. Archers definitely have the ... "increase precision stance" and Increase damage stance ability.
The problem with that is that it feels like cheesing, it doesnt come naturally and even with those abilities used - you still have enemies few levels higher that even go to 0% chance to hit. Although its usually something like 5 -20% - generally speaking.

You definitely can create a light armor fighter like that. But you have to take on a few rogue abilities too.
Most people make a mistake of thinking DOS is a class based game - because of how character creation is presented. But it is really a classless game.
You just take whatever you want.

I usually play with extreme hybrids, and without any OP talents, or even companions sometimes.

After restarting with different builds 3-4 times, buying a new rack that can actually run the game in a stable and decent manner, restarting again 3-4 more times for good measure, deciding to actually quit the game and leave it be in between those 3-4 tries, I finally manage to get the group I enjoy playing most (a pyro+geo mage and an archer/rogue + the faustian wizard and quixotic warrior with the south-american accent).

The reason why I must've came back to the game so many times is that I couldn't not be attracted to what obviously is the child of a labor of love. Now after reaching level 7 I've grown fully used to the combat system and it doesn't frustrate me as much as it did earlier, but can anyone recommend any tips on other useful spellbooks from different schools outside of pyro/geo? I'll most probably allocate 3 points in all of them in my main and secondary mages, and I just want some helping tips for a starter.

Air spells are excellent mix with fighter and rogue abilities. Something like Turn to Air or lightning strike, water based ones are mostly for healing and freezing, there is that "winter touch" one that slows enemies by 50% on first touch and freezes them by second.
If the enemies are wet already then its easier to freeze them.

You just mix and match.
Everything works.

And dont forget to eat your vegetables young man, mkay?

Arkeus

Arcane
That really depends only on how it handles registry keys subject. If game requires them to even start then without installator you are fucked.
To test it you would have to copy DOS folder somewhere else uninstall dos uninstall Steam (because it might reconnect to it) and then run game.

Does "Copy D:OS folder to a computer that never had steam installed and can run it" count?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Face it.. I have a legitimate point.
Um... no? Your point was that the Steam autopatching was all Larian's fault. Now your point is that the possibility of a hard drive failure (ever heard of myultiple backups BTW?) is also Larian's fault. Your point is completely, utterly retarded. Because what you really want is for Larian to provide you with a backup version of the game at the patch version of your choice and to keep that backup for you for all eternity. Spoiler alert: this has never been the case for any game developer, ever. Even back when games still shipped on floppies, once the original copies all sold out, the new reprint would almost always be pre-patched. Usually but not always because it was compiled with other games or with expansions, but eg PST's 2-CD rerelease was still sold by itself, pre-patched (and with a bug that didn't exist in the patched 4-CD to boot). Had anyone back then bitched at Origin for not keeping for them a copy of the unpatched Pagan because they didn't like the balance changes brought by the patch and were so lazy they couldn't be bothered keeping proper backups themselves and blamed it all on Origin, they would've been ridiculed exactly as much as you are. Though probably much, much moreso, now that I think of it.

Xeon

Augur
Hopefully it will give the game a fresh feel, similar to some mods that do total conversion, kinda fun, makes it like it you are playing a different game or something a little bit.

I kinda understand people getting upset about changes in strategy or any competitive game with multiplayer but in single player its pretty cool I think.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom