Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
You got what you deserve, attacking poor animals with smelly penties is a serious crime!

thexsa

Educated
There was that dog in the Cyseal cemetery that tells you can bring items from suspects so he can sniff them. I tried to drag and drop a cloth on him and the game engine translated this into an attack with a throwing weapon and not only the dog attacked me, but the whole town.

Seems like a completely pointless thing to be even slightly upset with. You must not have much patience or you were just looking for arbitrary reasons to dislike things.

roshan

Arcane
I wonder why this game won GOTY but... almost no one in these forums really seems to be enthusiastic about it? I mean every post I read is that it's too silly, has bad writing, poor content after the first map, drops in quality very quickly, the second half is terrible, has really bad balance issues or is too easy... I mean how are comments generally negative on a supposed "RPGOTY"? I mean the best I've read about it is probably "it is fine" or "I liked it". Could it be that this forum has a massive lurker population of Larian fans? I mean when I polled regarding best Diablo clones, Divine Divinity actually overtook Diablo itself.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder why this game won GOTY but... almost no one in these forums really seems to be enthusiastic about it? I mean every post I read is that it's too silly, has bad writing, poor content after the first map, drops in quality very quickly, the second half is terrible, has really bad balance issues or is too easy... I mean how are comments generally negative on a supposed "RPGOTY"? I mean the best I've read about it is probably "it is fine" or "I liked it". Could it be that this forum has a massive lurker population of Larian fans? I mean when I polled regarding best Diablo clones, Divine Divinity actually overtook Diablo itself.

Try reading more towards the beginning of the thread, perhaps? To put things in perspective, the thread's original name was "Divinity: Original Sin - RELEASED - THE INCLINE IS HAPPENING!!". Nobody raised an eyebrow.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

:butthurt:

roshan

Arcane

:butthurt:

?????

Perkel

Arcane

Maybe you should try reading this thread. DOS deliver something innovative in this genre, it was turn based game which automatically meant better than 88% of all RPGs released, then went overdrive with its systems where you could take for example candle lying at throw it into a fire which then would burn enemies. Add to that asynchronous turn based combat which resolved long time turn based combat flaw (being slow) as you could just do something else instead for a while or you wouldn't need to watch some dudes clubing each other because game need to start turn based combat for that. Add to that 2 or with mods 4 player coop that works.

Then there is the biggest thing. No one here expected from larian to deliver PST quality story. It was always about combat system and huge RPG.
Are there problems with game ? Sure. But when you value sum of its parts then DOS is huge incline.

Now take for example other game Wasteland 2. Game has better story and quest but gameplay itself, combat is simply not as fun as in DOS. It isn't fun because teh guns are different to sword but because of said options which DOS is full of. Take barrels stack them and detonate. Why you need to fight? Just teleport you dude outside of enemy vision range and continue and so on. W2 doesn't even have stealth.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Popularity reflects nothing at all. You have your own taste to judge things.

hiver

The writing and the second half are actually not that bad at all as reading just negative outbursts on codex makes it look like. Silverglen is a pretty good RPG place, has several quests, all with options how to approach, Hunters edge is pretty great, two factions to play against each other if you want, or deal with as you like, hidden villagers, orc subplot, and options to take out stronger enemies one by one, with various dialogue choices, then see them hanged in the village square and so reduce enemy strength for final showdown.

It has pretty good parts, but it has a few places where it feels like you are running into walls for unclear reasons, but its nowhere as bad as those critiques would make it to be.

Jezal_k23

IMO, Hunter's Edge was fine. Silverglen was easily the most boring for me. That whole fucking area, actually, except for the spiders (fighting them was fun as shit, especially if you're a lower level than them). Cyseal was still the best one, though.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I hope they beefed up the stuff after Cyseal. It felt that after the first part of the game, they just threw some stuff around and took a quick look at how it plays.

thexsa

Educated
They even made a town that served no purpose in the second area, unless you decided to solve a quest in a certain way and wanted a certain skill.

The second area also in general felt so poorly designed. Cyseal had a natural flow with the town that lead to different areas with the small houses around it leading up to the lighthouse, to the east with the abandoned manor and the church.

I get that Silverglen was just supposed to be a mining colony, but the whole placement of the town in relation to the mines location just felt so off, even when considering the broken bridges.

That area could've used a better and larger overall design of the colony, with believable routes that were leading separately to Hunter's Edge, the Immaculate-areas, and a forest-area where the White Witch + Trolls would live, instead of the boring linear corridors that directly lead you to the objectives.

hiver

Just went through the start in coop for a hour or two, feels pleasingly difficult on hard.
two archers, battlemage and jahan.

doggfookker

Educated
I got burned out on this bitch about halfway through the Luculla Forest or whatever the fuck it's called. I've been meaning to go back for a while now, but I want to wait until they've finished the dialogue/story tweaks they mentioned. I need muh dialogz. Do any of you fuckers have any idea when that's going to happen? I don't give a shit about combat changes. It was fine how it was.

thexsa

Educated
And a revised loot system. This uninspired Diablo-esque loot system is for bad devs. That's however too much to hope for, ever. Because sadly they think it's a good way to handle loot when levelling up. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz die in a fire, whoever thought it was a good idea.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Nobody cares about the dialogue and the story. All that matters is turn based combat and better AI.

If this were true, Larian wouldn't be expending resources on rewriting and adding more of it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You are assuming there will be medium to big changes.

I say they will just change few lines

Yep, we’re fixing parts of the story, improving the UIs, revisiting the encounters, rebalancing the loot, rewriting certain dialogs, adding extra feedback, looking at what we can do to fix character progression, improving the companions etc…

More than a few lines right there.

hiver

How is it compared to Wasteland 2?
As far as writing goes, its smaller sub quests and smaller instances of content that fill the world work much better. Some of them deal with harsher themes too but do so in much more fitting ways then W2. Ive criticized a few but only for not taking things a bit further to a more satisfying conclusion.

Most of the main quest is presented and imagined in a better, more gameplay engaging ways, especially through Cysael, the starting murder investigation and so on.
The second map or half of the game has ups and downs but the good parts are actually quite good.

The main plot idea of the both games is "Eh,.." just of different style.
Nothing new to either on that front. Storywise. Stop the big bad etc.
- still, i think its obvious that OS involves the player with its main plot in much more direct and numerous ways then w2s collection of cat liter and convoluted radio towers fixing.

Both games try to strike a more funny side, both with overblown settings. Of course super epic high fantasy tends to burden itself down with the "epicness" over a long run, but thats an inherent problem of all such settings.
And the setting of high fantasy has been of course one of the most exploited ones so we are all mostly full of it.

Even so the game is full of situations and details to appreciate, and a lot of details that are clearly labor of love. Thats a palpable feeling that stays with you throughout the game.

-
And thats not mentioning the co-op which brings a great surge to emergent gameplay and two players constructing their own little stories together as they play.

Last edited by a moderator:

catfood

AGAIN
Hopefully they'll hire someone more competent than that guy who did the writing for DOS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom