Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Anyone can gimme 2 builds to have fun on the game?

Hydromancer & Aeromancer

Gord

Arcane
They keep trying to feed the players this fantasy humor schtick, and its not working, and it wont work because humor, especially game humor is much harder to write well than "serious" fantasy.

What they did in Div2/DKS worked quite well, imo. You had "normal" fantasy, but it didn't take itself to seriously and had some good jokes from time to time.
In D:OS I think it's mostly the artstyle that makes it look a bit wacky and some few characters (especially Imps). Most of the story doesn't seem especially aimed at humour, it's just that the tone of the dialogues often doesn't seem to fit.
Anyhow, I don't think they ever intended something like a full-blown fantasy parody in any of their games.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
IMO there's nothing particularly wrong with Larian's humor for the most part, it's the bog-standard by-the-numbers everything else i.e. the serious parts. If you ask me, Bioware's always been in a similar boat, except at times their humor can be annoyingly dumb.

Also in what world is tongue-in-cheek fantasy harder to write than serious fantasy.

Hmmm...
You seem surprinsingly reasonable and non-inflammatory these days. Has Wasteland 2 become the sole object of your derision, or is it something else ?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Hmmm...
You seem surprinsingly reasonable and non-inflammatory these days. Has Wasteland 2 become the sole object of your derision, or is it something else ?

I turned over a new leaf last year (I think?) where I decided to make an effort to curb the mania and become a more reasonable poster, so new posters/those who don't pay too much attention will get all perplexed when they see I'm the most ignored poster.

Seeing posts like http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/free-agentorange.97673/page-2#post-3793380 is a victory.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
so new posters/those who don't pay too much attention will get all perplexed when they see I'm the most ignored poster.

Right, to each his own priorities i guess.
And i imagine you must relish seeing older posters reluctantly agreeing with you... :lol:

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, as long as she/he ain't harping about Sawyer Roguey has some actually solid opinions. We'll just never agree on that Sawyer issue is all.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
IMO there's nothing particularly wrong with Larian's humor for the most part, it's the bog-standard by-the-numbers everything else i.e. the serious parts. If you ask me, Bioware's always been in a similar boat, except at times their humor can be annoyingly dumb.

Also in what world is tongue-in-cheek fantasy harder to write than serious fantasy.

Their style of humour lacks subtetly.

Their writers should have enough confidence in their script that they don't feel the need to spell out the punchline to the player.
Belgian humour has never been subtle.

hell bovine

Arcane
That's Larian for you, can't write for shit. Maybe I'll apply as a writer, TBH. I lived in fantasy worlds all my life, should be easy.
Not as easy as it seems. I have applied twice and got nowhere.
Maybe I should not have tried to emulate Larian's style in the samples they requested, or maybe they just rejected me because I am dirty potato, but most probably my writing is just not good enough. Although I am pretty sure I could come up with a better storyline than what Original Sin has - which is not very hard, considering they have done a major rewrite during last year of development, with not much room for iteration.
I am also assuming they have a huge number of new applications and their selection standards are pretty high right now.
It's not just the storyline, it's the writing itself. Those bland walls of text were the main reason why I've uninstalled the game. And I've managed to play through Skyrim (albeit modded), so it's not like I have any standards when it comes to writing.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, but that is also caused by that re-write and lack of iteration, so it is just more symptoms of the same problem.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
72 hours into it, with some alt-tabing, exploring Hiberheim. I'm having fun in general, tons of fun, but I've noticed that I more or less don't give a shit about the story.:( It just seems pretty shallow and uninteresting.

Just finished it and what I said earlier still holds true. Also got a bit too easy towards the end but OK. Had a blast, can't wait to see more from Larian.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So, got my ass handed to me a few times by that stupid bitch Evelyn with her flaming luitenant, but eventually I just disabled her with the heavenly fist and hacked away at her lackeys until they finally went down. I'm at the Black Cove now, Lvl 7 and it looks like the fights are getting easier already. Overall I'm having fun, but I have to say the story seems dumb too, unlike Div2 which I found not bad.

Also what's up with the vendors having like 200 gold each? I have expensive yet useless lewt to sell dammit.

Black

Arcane
That's even better than day/night cycles stretchgoal which people paid for!

kazgar

Arcane
4bFXh1o.png

bobblehead worthy?
(may be able to get a better quality cap)

Aenra

I thought re-balancing and sorting the pacing was actually a higher priority...? Along with the sound issues, cannot be fixed before re-balancing, as apparently they need to alter the spell effects for those.

But localisatione italiano? You gotta be kidding me. AND wasting money shooting a vid??? Need me some Germans. Where are ze Germanz when you need them.

edit: avanti o popolo !!!
alla riscossa

Lios

Cipher
all these guys look like assholes and this "add" is stupid as shit,
yet they deserve every penny they get and I hope they prosper and deliver again and again

edit: bandiera rossa bandiera rossa

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom