Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

deuxhero

Arcane
Tanks get a taunt skill

Nice, more Dragon Aging.
:rpgcodex:
That's just dumb.

Skills should be symmetrical, no skill should work by making the AI stupid.
The AI should go for squishy wizards and other such glass cannon builds if only given opportunity and it should be up to the player to prevent it by clever positioning.

The best way to do aggro without mind control I've seen is penalties to attacking people aside from the "taunt"er.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The more i read..considering what we do know about the EE, is a year and four months time of iteration justified for the changes advertised?
Can't help thinking it seems like way too much time for what basically amounts to re-balancing/re-pacing plus console launch.

Basic things like ease of highlighting enemies with melee characters are still missing. And are to remain so apparently.
Now again, not a trolling attempt, just honestly curious if this is how long it 'should' take for so little to get done.

Roguey while i'm with you in regard to the day & night cycle (i still bitch about it), that was a poor trolling attempt. You can do better :)
Rewriting big parts of the story plus voice actors plus art assets for 360° rotation plus tactician mode (yay! ... whatever that means as a paraphrase for the ultimate hardcore death march path of the damned you're so dead mofo difficulty level - will have to try it myself) takes some time. And it isn't like it's their main project atm ... at least I hope not.
Enhanced Edition for backers on PC is just the icing on the cake anyway, this is about the console port.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Supposedly they are also working on TWO more RPGs that use the engine of D:OS. I would give my left ball for a new-age or sci-fi or post-apoc game with this engine. Something with guns, tb combat goodness and even better co-op. Oh Swen, great master, please do

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Supposedly they are also working on TWO more RPGs that use the engine of D:OS. I would give my left ball for a new-age or sci-fi or post-apoc game with this engine. Something with guns, tb combat goodness and even better co-op. Oh Swen, great master, please do
One of them is something developed in-between them and some Cyanide drop-outs as far as I remember.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One of them is something developed in-between them and some Cyanide drop-outs as far as I remember.
Cyanide as in the guys that made Blood Bowl? Not bad

DraQ

Arcane
The two things they need to do pretty badly are adding support for meaningful z-axis gameplay and refining their toolset.

The toolset part is critical because their toolset, while quite powerful is pretty hideous, forces massive amounts of work overhead amounting to needless boilerplating pretty much everything you try to do and is stupidly template-averse meaning jumping through many hoops if you try to do anything in sane or flexible manner.

The z-axis - well, it's a shame that a game featuring exactly calculated projectile trajectories and collisions stays about as planar as DOOM and features scant minimum of tactical positioning in respect to anything but elemental hazards.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Red Bull interview: http://www.redbull.com/en/games/sto...w-divinity-original-sin-came-to-home-consoles

[...talk about Kickstarter and console ports...]

You talk about the ending changing. If I’ve played this game on PC and I want the game on console, is the ending so different that it’ll be worth for me it to play through it again?

I think so, there's a huge amount of effort gone into it. Some players were very disappointed with the original ending, it wasn't very satisfying. That was frustrating for us because it wasn't what we'd intended. We couldn't do the ending we wanted because of a lack of time and resources. But so many people bought the game, we figured the very least we can do is fix something that we wanted to put in the game in the first place. And then typically, we exaggerated and went back through the whole game and started changing things left and right.

Normally when people port a game to console, they might be fixing things that are broken, or maybe adding dialogue, not rewriting the whole thing. Why are you doing this and how are you able to afford to do this, rather than making paid DLC?

I mean, the foundation is that we really care about what we're making, in the sense that we're trying to get better all the time and we're improving our craft. Also, we have big ambitions for our next RPG, and there are things in the Enhanced Edition that we're trying out with a view to using them in later releases. If you look at the history of our games, you'll find that in a game like the old Divinity, we were already exploring ideas for Original Sin. Some things will work, some won't, but eventually you'll see that some of the things we're doing now are going to be useful for our next game.

For instance, we learned a lot from doing all the voice recording from the Enhanced Edition, so we know how we can improve those processes and make them more efficient for next time. Likewise, our tools are getting better. You can see every single visual effect has been redone now, and they look a lot better thanks to some new technology, which will be used again in our next game. It's a continuous process, and rather than just waste it on prototypes, we might as well use all that effort on games we're making ourselves.

You often talk about the stresses of the development cycle. Now you’re expanding the studio and working on three projects not one. Are you looking forward to doing these projects?

It's a double-edged sword. I live for my job, I wouldn't do it if I didn't, but I have to find a balance between work and life. That was the original purpose of my blog – to show people that there's two sides to things. Often people only see the side that comes from trying to start a product, but there's a lot more going on behind it that nobody ever sees.

Sometimes there are things being written that shouldn't be written. I think every developer has to deal with the negatives, from hate mail to passive aggressiveness on the internet, and that's part of the deal. If you can't deal with it then you shouldn't be doing it, or at least handling it publicly. But all that stuff does touch developers I think, and it does hurt from time to time.

Do you think your experience was more stressful because it was a Kickstarter project, or was it fairly typical?

I think from talking to others, we've all been through the same experiences. It's a lot of pressure, because you have your image to take care of, you have a game you want to be proud of and you want to deliver something to an audience that they're going to enjoy. If people are going to spend some money on your game, you want to make sure they're going to have a good time and get value for that – that's about 40–80 hours in our case, and then have the dialogue with them so you can improve the next game. I think most developers have that attitude.

Do you think you could make a game that’s not based on fantasy, or not an RPG, or are you THAT studio now?

We're not married to fantasy, that's for sure. It just happens to be that when we're accustomed to making these titles, and there's quite an audience for fantasy, it makes sense to do fantasy, right? I have many ideas for many different universes, any of which could be either successful or complete disasters. We're not in a position where we could finance a complete disaster yet, but hopefully we will be one day, because then we can start experimenting, like we did with Dragon Commander.

But from time to time we do need to have our successes, so that we can fund the disasters! To be honest, those experiments are probably the most fun to make, because then you’re going boldly where nobody has been before.

Oh, I'm curious to see what "complete disaster" ideas are.

ArchAngel

Arcane
because then you’re going boldly where nobody has been before.
I would say D:OS already did that with its environment design and how elements affect each other. At least I have not seen anything similar in any mid to large size game.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
FAQ: http://larian.com/news/divinity-original-sin-enhanced-edition-faq/

I quote relatively unknown bits:

What are the PC system requirements for Enhanced Edition?
Min. requirements: Windows 7 SP1 64 bit or Windows 8.1 64 bit, or higher; Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 or equivalent, 4GB memory, DirectX 11 compatible GPU
Recommended: Windows 7 SP1 64 bit or Windows 8.1 64 bit, or higher; Intel i5 2400 or higher, 4GB memory, NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 550 or ATI™ Radeon™ HD 6XXX or higher

When will the Linux version be available?
We plan to release it at the same time as the PC version.

Will the game be simplified for consoles, and will that affect the PC version?
No, the only difference between the console and PC version will be the User Interface (you can still activate the console UI on the PC by plugging in a controller). The main “Classic” difficulty mode is the same level of difficulty as the original game.

How will the user and graphic interfaces differ between PC and console versions?
They are completely different, with PC UI being improved as well. But if you are on a PC and you plug in a controller, the game will switch to the console UI.

Should I play the Enhanced Edition if I’ve already finished the original?
Absolutely! Try the couch co-op and new game modes – you’ll love them. And don’t underestimate what we’ve done to the game world – it’s a much deeper experience now, with a very different end game experience.

I backed the Kickstarter, can I get my copy of the Enhanced Edition on my console instead of my PC?
Unfortunately not, only PC/Mac versions of the Enhanced Edition will become available for free for existing owners.

Are there any new modding tools?
We’ve been working on the editor to make it much more stable. More to announce at a later date.

When can I see more?
Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition will be playable at Gamescom 2015!

Atchodas

Augur
Main question is : Are fucking NPC's still shouting about cheese and wingowurm non stop or they finally were silenced ? MAH FAEC GAIUS SHE BIT MY IN MAH FACE :(

Perkel

Arcane
Main question is : Are fucking NPC's still shouting about cheese and wingowurm non stop or they finally were silenced ? MAH FAEC GAIUS SHE BIT MY IN MAH FACE :(

"No one has as many friends as man with many cheeses !"

why y no rike ?

ArchAngel

Arcane
because then you’re going boldly where nobody has been before.
I would say D:OS already did that with its environment design and how elements affect each other. At least I have not seen anything similar in any mid to large size game.

Bioshock? Magicka?
Didn't play Bioshock, don't remember people talking about any special innovations. Magicka is cool and probably a good example but it has less of everything than D:OS.

pippin

Well, the environment interaction in Bioshock is mostly limited to using electricity on water or fire on ice or oil. And most of the times it's just to kill one enemy, get more items or opening doors.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If what I heard was "less frequent" I'd hate to hear what it was like before.

Let's see. Halibut. Sheep's cheese. Tomatoes.

Atchodas

Augur
no one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses
I tried to replay D:OS not long ago and quit as soon as i got into Cyseal because i heard this , still have to do it sometime before EE gets released i guess ill remove sound files as the guy suggested

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom