Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Swen at 14:20

Tigranes

Arcane
That Tactician difficulty sounds good. If they pull it off, it's going to provide significant replayability, a major weakness in the original version.

Cassar

Savant
To stay in business they'd have to be willing to do stuff for consoles,

Why? With PC sales alone they went from almost bankrupt and heavily in dept to prosperous developer, debt free and so much money they opened new studios and started work on two new games. Console sales and market is hugely overrated and overblown, as the awesome new thing that is Steamspy shows us. The Dark Souls franchise sold roughly 40% on PC alone. That's with Dark Souls 1 coming a year late on PC and being the shitiest port ever. The other 60% is achieved on four consoles. Same with Tomb Raider 2013. Also 40% on PC and the rest divided on four consoles. Same with Hitman Absolution, Dishonored, etc. PC is in fact pretty huge and no, you don't "need" console sales for a computer rpg.

All will be good if stuff keeps happening as it does now. But seeing how they all of a sudden think controllers are so awesome and they all couch play it now over there, it's all but certain that future projects will have a game design closer to what pads and console audience want. I mean, if they had a problem or something was more difficult to translate on pads with Original Sin, you can be sure they'll make it more pad friendly in the future from the start. Why design one thing for PC and another for consoles, they will think. Time consuming, more expensive. Let's just homogenize from the start. God damn consoles.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
8000 lines of dialogue, eh? That's fewer than Dungeon Siege III which had one of the lowest counts at 12,000 (and only had three writers: Ziets, Gonzalez, and Stout).

Pretty easy to see how they were able to do the entire thing with only two then.

It's only the dialogue that's going to be voiced (mainly dialogue of companions), there still should be many lines of unvoiced dialogues.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

Reading had become too hard these days I guess.

EDIT: If you didn't notice it's a double joke. At the same time I'm commenting Larian having to voice everything for console sheeple and my disability to notice a crucial fact in a written RPG watch preview.

EDIT2: I think I might actually be a genius.

DraQ

Arcane
Reading had become too hard these days I guess.

EDIT: If you didn't notice it's a double joke. At the same time I'm commenting Larian having to voice everything for console sheeple and my disability to notice a crucial fact in a written RPG watch preview.

EDIT2: I think I might actually be a genius.
Integer wrap-around is a real thing.
:M

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You're trully a brilliant mastermind of evil. Both keeping trolling levels high while retaining the nerdrage is difficult tho. Some old habits never die, and the cuntpost happens from time to time.

How many alts do you have anyway?

None, this is my only account. An alt seems pointless since, while I do like exaggeration, I don't see the appeal in pretending to believe things I don't.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Why? With PC sales alone they went from almost bankrupt and heavily in dept to prosperous developer, debt free and so much money they opened new studios and started work on two new games. Console sales and market is hugely overrated and overblown, as the awesome new thing that is Steamspy shows us. The Dark Souls franchise sold roughly 40% on PC alone. That's with Dark Souls 1 coming a year late on PC and being the shitiest port ever. The other 60% is achieved on four consoles. Same with Tomb Raider 2013. Also 40% on PC and the rest divided on four consoles. Same with Hitman Absolution, Dishonored, etc. PC is in fact pretty huge and no, you don't "need" console sales for a computer rpg.

All will be good if stuff keeps happening as it does now. But seeing how they all of a sudden think controllers are so awesome and they all couch play it now over there, it's all but certain that future projects will have a game design closer to what pads and console audience want. I mean, if they had a problem or something was more difficult to translate on pads with Original Sin, you can be sure they'll make it more pad friendly in the future from the start. Why design one thing for PC and another for consoles, they will think. Time consuming, more expensive. Let's just homogenize from the start. God damn consoles.

You seem to not understand one thing. Mac forms like 5-10% of marketshare on PC market. Linux - similarly. Despite of it, more and more developers are making OSX/Linux versions of their games nowadays. The reason is fairly simple - lately it became much easier to do it as far as technological matters go(it's also cheaper). These games would easily survive without having OSX/Linux ports, sure, but porting became so easy, that there's no reason NOT to do it.

The problem with most franchises going to consoles lies in mentality. When developing AAA multiplat, companies like Activision or Ubi think about it like:

"Okay, we have a game for console gamers, but there are also some people(reasonable amount of people to be fair) who would want to play the game on PC's. It's not our focus, and don't try to compromise the console versions for favour of PC version because while there's decent amount of them, they're not our main audience"

Which makes sense if you think about it.

The smaller guys, who tried to turn PC-typical games into console games(Firaxis for example) were like:

"Okay, we have game for PC gamers, they'll probably our main audience but seriously, if we make the game more console-friendly they will be only little bit mad, but we will steal CoD so many millions of sales this year that it'll be worth it!"

Didn't worked for Civilisation:Revolutions, nu-xcom didn't flopped only because the audience of such games was starved as fuck, still didn't get lots of console sales, that says something I guess.

This approach seems to be replaced by:
"We have a PC game, for core PC gamers, but we want to port it to console as well. Make the game the best you can for PC, and try to make it playable on consoles, but no compromises because console gamers aren't our main audience".

Finally, the proper mindset for multiplat development should be:

"Our game, due to its genre/core gameplay, brand image and variety of other factors should be targeted at <platform>, we shouldn't ignore the other platforms, but don't compromise the quality of <platform> version of the game by design because you want to make them fit/better on other ones, they're not our main audience."

Where platform has to be understood little wider - as console, mobile and PC.

Cassar

Savant
You seem to not understand one thing. Mac forms like 5-10% of marketshare on PC market. Linux - similarly. Despite of it, more and more developers are making OSX/Linux versions of their games nowadays. The reason is fairly simple - lately it became much easier to do it as far as technological matters go(it's also cheaper). These games would easily survive without having OSX/Linux ports, sure, but porting became so easy, that there's no reason NOT to do it.

I already pointed out, if stuff keeps happening as it does now, it's good. Console to PC is different than PC to console. Console games are designed to be playable with a pad with a few buttons. Design+gameplay able to play on the imprecision and slowness of two thumbsticks. It's easy peasy to get them on the vastly superior M/KB of a PC. On PC you have other systems running in a different way, at different speeds, with other layers of complexity. If future projects are like this one, good. A proper PC game, in every sense, then ported and adjusted for consoles years later. Perfect. But do you think it will be like this ? Aren't there enough examples over the years? They're gonna take the shortcut, most likely. So many games fucked after they went from pure PC to multiplatform, Invisible War and Deadly Shadows which probably started the "consolisation" term. Supreme Commander, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, Crysis, Unreal Tournament, FEAR, etc. God, they made Commandos a PS2/original xbox FPS after the ground breaking trilogy for PC, which made history.

So again, if us PC gamers won't suffer because of their new found love for pads, consoles and couch gaming, good. Nothing lost. But after i read how Swen doesn't even game on PC but likes consoles, the team at Larian realized over night how awesome couch gaming with pads is, what hope should i have. Are you confident their next game is going to be a thoroughbred PC game or some Dragon Age 2 nonsense ?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think I'm finally nearing the end of this after months of on and off playing. Just met the two guys from the Watch

who told me about how the Codex imps escaped. I was wondering why I had Crooked Bee and Dark Underlord running around in muh Shelter Plane. I sent those fags to the beach. Because FUCK the Watch

Nice touch, Codex.:greatjob:

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Easier and cheaper? Is that why it's always listed as a stretch goal for Kickstarters? Is that why despite it being over a year since the original release of D:OS that there was never a Linux release like was 'promised' (yeah, there was a mac release, I do acknowledge that)? Sure, there are 'reasons', but none of them seem to indicate that it was any easier to port them to Mac/Linux than it was in the past; there just happens to be a larger market share there than there was before. Larger market share means more resources can be dedicated to a project with a better chance of return value.

The new version of D:OS:EE is the linux version that backers are finally going to get, and some of them won't even be able to play it because new hardware requirements that weren't imposed previously (new version of directX, in particular).

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
some of them [linux version] won't even be able to play it because new hardware requirements that weren't imposed previously (new version of directX, in particular).
Linux version has to run on OpenGL, so this may be a misconception.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Multi platform distribution is easier now than ever, however, it is as easy as ever to fuck it up.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This fella must be really dumb if he has to look at youtube videos to find out THE OBVIOUS GLARING PROBLEMS WITH HIS OWN DESIGN.
I don't want to brake it to you, but if he saw the problem with the design, he would have fixed it during development. Looking up the opinion of an outsider is much more helpful, because sometimes you are so into designing your own stuff that you are not seeing the problem with it.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Actually D:OS combat mechanics combined with truly remarkable resourcefulness of people of the internet gave devs truly great database of useful info. You wouldn’t imagine what folks somewhere out there figured out to go through some fights.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
None of which would've happened if the game had a basic AI. Or if somebody from the studio actually tried to play the game.

D:OS is complex. Eternity Pillars combat appears less complex by comparison, and yet there were so many shortfalls despite an attempt to make a more-balanced than usual game.

RPGs are difficult and really time-consuming to test. I also wouldn't call the AI noticeably worse than the usual AI we see role playing games.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
L0L DOS complex. L0L If a Codex idiot like me can beat it easily it isn't complex.

Tigranes

Arcane
This fella must be really dumb if he has to look at youtube videos to find out THE OBVIOUS GLARING PROBLEMS WITH HIS OWN DESIGN.

Game developer conducts some research towards building a higher difficulty option, internet moron thinks is bad idea

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The new version of D:OS:EE is the linux version that backers are finally going to get, and some of them won't even be able to play it because new hardware requirements that weren't imposed previously (new version of directX, in particular).

What the fuck :lol:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
It's not complex. It's simple. DEAL. WITH. IT.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom