Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DLCs as Independent Games

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So I use Backloggery to keep track of what games I have and haven't finished. Lately I've decided to marathon through the Fallout: New Vegas DLCs (which I've never tried).

An accounting issue I've faced is whether expansion packs and DLCs count as independent games. For example, I feel as though Throne of Bhaal is definitely an independent game but am unsure whether Tales of Sword Coast would pass, even though Tales of Sword Coast is much longer than either (or both) of the Half-Life 2 Episodes, which have to be reckoned as independent games.

The issue is complicated by the fact DLCs often 'feel' like different games because of introducing new challenge mechanics and independent narratives.

Mustawd

An accounting issue

The best kind. Continue...

whether expansion packs and DLCs count as independent games

What's important when you're classifying these things is how usable this information is. In other words, if you feel a DLC is a completely self sustaining experience, is it really all that useful categorize it as merely DLC?

In other words, don't follow the letter of the rule but instead follow the spirit of the rule.

But I get that even a "feeling" is hard to quantify. Why not try this experiment?

Game A has DLC B. Obviously Game A feels like a game. What about DLC B?

Try flipping it. Can you see DLC B being the main game or at least equal value as Game A?

If yes, then DLC B is a game. If not, then DLC B depends on the existence of Game A and should not be considered a separate game.

Disclaimer: I have had less that 3 hours of sleep and on my third beer with only a grilled cheese sandwhich in my belly. This bar is p. Cool tho...

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom