Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you like pixel art?

Pixel art is:

• Total voters

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
Denzi does beautiful pixel art
i2AEpDX.png
rJhUDUS.png
B6PNgNs.png
5ATFtxl.png

Beautiful pixel art, like for example in Legend of Kyrandia games, always makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

I also wonder if I'm in the minority when it comes to emulation/DOSboxing - as in I never use any "advanced scalers/shaders" that in my opinion only distort the original. I only use "normal" scalers, which scale pixels in a linear fashion. Take a look here for example and tell me with a straight face that supersai or advmame looks good?
As a person that grew up with crts I can assure you that I did not like how crts made things bleed into each other. I always preferred the display to be crisp as in I could see the individual pixels themselves for somefucking reason, donno why I just did. This is the main reason why I look down upon people who use filters and crt hipsters.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It was shit CRTs that melted things together. Quality CRTs were much crisper than the first consumer grade LCDs and games looked great even on midrange CRTs.
I have however NEVER seen a CRT so shitty as to make a game look like those filters. Perhaps the shittiest ones would be close to 2xsai.

Last edited:

Delbaeth

Learned
Pixel Art without a scanlines filter is pretty ugly to my eyes, considering the vast majority of pixel arts games. Very few can shine without scanlines.
I believe I am more into digital art but not into pixel art.
I'd rather simplistic 2D vector graphics.

Naraya

Arcane
Beautiful pixel art, like for example in Legend of Kyrandia games, always makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

I also wonder if I'm in the minority when it comes to emulation/DOSboxing - as in I never use any "advanced scalers/shaders" that in my opinion only distort the original. I only use "normal" scalers, which scale pixels in a linear fashion. Take a look here for example and tell me with a straight face that supersai or advmame looks good?

Sometimes I use hq3x and it works great, like the Quest for Glory 2 remake.

qfg2.png
Not sure if you are being sarcastic but in case you aren't - this is exactly what I'm talking about - looks like shit.

Naraya

Arcane

As a person that grew up with crts I can assure you that I did not like how crts made things bleed into each other. I always preferred the display to be crisp as in I could see the individual pixels themselves for somefucking reason, donno why I just did. This is the main reason why I look down upon people who use filters and crt hipsters.
I am perfectly aware how it looked on CRTs (I got my first PC in 1990) and I don't remember such bleeding. And I didn't have a top monitor either (the brand was A-MATIC, lol) - in fact I'm quite sure that CRT is the main culprit I'm wearing glasses today, heh.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Thing is, that much like with text games (or books if you wish), with pixel art it's your eyes and your brain that fill in the details. You're not supposed to count the pixels, you see the image as a whole.

Take a look at that ridiculous screenshot above.
Or at this shit:

ss_564f3e4d9a5396472a8d439ac1d660d80d6c9c64.1920x1080.jpg

is that really how you were supposed to see that font? Or those portraits? Not only do those filters distort the image they also achieve the impressive result of producing an image with even less details than there were in the first place. But at least there's no pixels! Can't have pixels, they give you cancer!

There was no magic blurring standard CRT that everybody made graphics for. You were supposed to see them as they were.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Sometimes I use hq3x and it works great, like the Quest for Glory 2 remake.

qfg2.png

qfg2a.png

Uuuuuh
yeah clearly
clearly

I am perfectly aware how it looked on CRTs (I got my first PC in 1990) and I don't remember such bleeding. And I didn't have a top monitor either (the brand was A-MATIC, lol) - in fact I'm quite sure that CRT is the main culprit I'm wearing glasses today, heh.
Maybe I'm thinking of console games instead since those CRT hipsters are just obsessed with CRT tvs as well, and the fact somebody that my family knew gave us an assload of NES games as a kid. Although I can say with confidence I miss the degaussing button on that were on CRT monitors, I liked the spilt second screen distortion and the sound it made as well.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
TVs were definitely blurry as fuck- there was no discerning pixels on that shit, unless you were playing something really ancient like the earliest NES games. I think that is mostly what those filters are meant to mimic. CRTs weren't that blurry at all that I recall, I remember very distinct pixel edges on games like Scorch on my old 486.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
CRT pixels were defined as fuck and the main thing I remember about my first foray into LCD TV/Monitors was how everything looked like someone smudged screen elements with each other.

Severian Silk

I think the hipster pixel art is okay too. Fez is an attractive looking game.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Put old games through the scan lines and shadow mask grille of a CRT and watch that "pixel art" miraculously turn into standard low resolution digital artwork.

pippin

Take a look at that ridiculous screenshot above.
Or at this shit:

ss_564f3e4d9a5396472a8d439ac1d660d80d6c9c64.1920x1080.jpg

O2ovGve.png

:roll:

Youngfags will think the game is supposed to look like this. Thanks inx1le.

I would honestly prefer changing the font into something more modern, even Arial or some shit like that, instead of applying that cum filter to everything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom