Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you still play Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament 1999?

Renegen

Arcane
I actually play UK2k4 every now and then too. I like the action more, the map are better I think? The SP is also more challenging.

thesoup

Arcane
Oh, I forgot that ut2k4 is newer than ut99 meaning it's inferior by default. Sorry, my mistake.
It's inferior in every single aspect save for vehicles and onslaught mode.

I'm not saying it's bad in general, mind you.
Well, I don't really care about ONS or vehicles. I like 2k4 for other reasons.
- feels more balanced
- has more color to it so spotting opponents is easier, especially if you use certain mutators which are pretty standard on every server (i.e. custom brightskins as seen in Quake 3, QL and Warsow)
- I like the maps a lot more. 99 is a lot more claustrophobic
- I like the movement a lot more
- while many hated the shield gun for turning the game a lot more defensive, I think it adds depth to the game
- the rocket launcher in 99 feels derpy

UT99 is also fun and I don't mind playing it. UT3 was and still is shit, though.

Renegen
Really? Do you play on European servers?

DraQ

Arcane
- has more color to it so spotting opponents is easier, especially if you use certain mutators which are pretty standard on every server (i.e. custom brightskins as seen in Quake 3, QL and Warsow)
Spotting opponents isn't hard in UT'99 due to relatively simple geometry, and the skins are bright and colourful enough for that and for flawless team recognition.

I don't consider garish plastic looks to be an upside of an FPS.

- I like the maps a lot more. 99 is a lot more claustrophobic
User made content is mandatory in a chiefly MP FPS anyway, and user made levels can be no smaller in '99 than in 2004.

- I like the movement a lot more
How so?
- while many hated the shield gun for turning the game a lot more defensive, I think it adds depth to the game
I don't mind shield gun, but impact hammer could be also used to repel many projectiles.
- the rocket launcher in 99 feels derpy
6 > 3 and UT launcher is more versatile. Plus it has grenade launcher mode that isn't horribly unwieldy to activate.

Then there is derpy flak with glowy trails, unimpressive looking projectiles and so on.

And fugly Skaarj with green blood. Why.

As for UT3, it was first and foremost unfinished. Many stylistic decisions were actually right - art design of weapons and vehicles was far superior in UT3 (if quite a bit baroque), and weapons actually gave off somewhat U1 vibe (apart from flak, UT3 flak sucks a big time).

catfood

AGAIN
Also Unreal > Half-Life

Surely, the weapons in Unreal had balance issues and lacked real power
Mostly the latter, though I would change few things. HL weapons were certainly more specialized which made for more diverse gameplay when it came to weapon use.

I think you need to look at how encounters are designed if you want to talk about the lack of firepower of weapons. Unlike a lot of other shooters, in Unreal you're fighting a limited number of opponents at a time (2 or 3 for the most part), so killing them with one or two shots would have felt undramatic, especially since encounters were further spread apart from each other than some other games. I believe they wanted the player to feel that every fight is important, rather than killing wave after wave of enemies like, say Doom or Quake. Imaginative as they were, the weapons were always the low point of the game for me.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Who cares about balance? Make every weapon powerful, even the starting gun, and watch everyone having fun with. I was genuinely and pleasantly surprised to see that UT3 returned to its roots.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
It's Quake Live for me. I had shitty internet connection back in the Q3 times so I'm happy to play QL at least.

Achilles

Arcane
Oh, I forgot that ut2k4 is newer than ut99 meaning it's inferior by default. Sorry, my mistake.
It's inferior in every single aspect save for vehicles and onslaught mode.

I'm not saying it's bad in general, mind you.

Those two are pretty big "save for" reasons though. Vehicles were great and onslaught was fantastic.

MetalCraze

Arcane
UT99 once in a while. Too bad it's hard to find low-ping servers due to living in third world where people know only about CS.

UT2004 is inferior because it's (or rather UT2003 which is the same in gameplay) a console game first and foremost (on consoles it goes under a name Unreal Championship) - which in turn means it's SLOOOOOW. Jumping and firing rockets in it feels like you are swimming in a water.

Onslaught is a good mode though. Way better than BF2.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Onslaught mode is a lot of fun, especially during those rare moments when your team actually works together.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I always hop in for a few rounds in Unreal Tournament every few months. I'm not quite as responsive as I used to be (apparently I am no longer a caffeine-filled 15-year-old) but it's still just as fun as ever.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Who cares about balance? Make every weapon powerful, even the starting gun, and watch everyone having fun with. I was genuinely and pleasantly surprised to see that UT3 returned to its roots.
Too bad it's kind of unpolished and unfinished. And UT3 flak = FFFFFUUUU-.

True, and I got into it late, when the game received a fair amount of patches already. Still you can tell that it could have had more content (no CTF-FACE at release, seriously? The signature map of the serie?) but in the end it played more like UT than UT2004, and that warmed my old heart. The ut3 flak doesn't bother me that much. I prefer the original one but at least this one is brutal.

Anyway the various Community Bonus Packs added a fair amount of quality content, which helps to make UT3 a bit whole. Given the choice I'd rather play UT3, thanks to all the various enhancements it has, but the original will stay with me for a very long time.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I really enjoyed Unreal Tournament 3 as well. No, it wasn't as balanced as UT2004, but I thought it had some really good maps, and as of the Black Edition it has a pretty huge amount of game modes and content. Onslaught in UT3 is a lot more fun for me than the one in 2004, and having vehicles in the "standard" game modes is also pretty cool. I can't say if I prefer it or the original but I will say that the weapons are a hell of a lot of fun to use in UT3, great sense of impact and power to everything. The only thing about it that sucks (and what I think killed it) is the netcode and the Gamespy integration. I've rarely had lag-free games and having to login to Gamespy (the one account I am most likely to forget my login information to) really makes it more trouble than it's worth for me.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
I also find that the vehicles handle much better in UT3 than UT2004. Anyway what do you refer to when you talk of balance between both games? Most people refer to the weapons when they talk of balance, citing that UT2004 is more balanced because its weapons aren't as powerful as they used to be, but that's also what made the origin UT fun: every weapon is brutal and deadly if used correctly, and you even got a fighting chance with the starting pistol, which wasn't the case with UT2004's puny starting SMG. UT3 came back to that, and also decided to drop the silly combo system and put power-ups in the maps again.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I also find that the vehicles handle much better in UT3 than UT2004. Anyway what do you refer to when you talk of balance between both games? Most people refer to the weapons when they talk of balance, citing that UT2004 is more balanced because its weapons aren't as powerful as they used to be, but that's also what made the origin UT fun: every weapon is brutal and deadly if used correctly, and you even got a fighting chance with the starting pistol, which wasn't the case with UT2004's puny starting SMG. UT3 came back to that, and also decided to drop the silly combo system and put power-ups in the maps again.
Mostly it's just that some weapons in UT3 are a bit too powerful. A couple, like the Flak Cannon and Stinger are extremely good at too wide a variety of ranges (though the Stinger was extremely underpowered in UT2004), while the Enforcer kinda sucks compared to the original one (slightly less damage and accuracy). There's also a reduction in air control and jump height even compared to the first game, which puts the focus more on twitch reflexes than maneuvering. The original Unreal Tournament was impeccably balanced save for the Shock Rifle, so even small things kinda stand out. It's not a big deal for average players, but on the competitive side, this sort of thing is enough to stop people from picking the game up.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Must be because I do not care about the competitive side that I never paid much attention to this. As for jump height and air control, won't the double jump move (kinda one of the only things I don't get mind getting from UT2004, though I prefer regular jumps) compensate for it?

thesoup

Arcane
UT99 once in a while. Too bad it's hard to find low-ping servers due to living in third world where people know only about CS.

UT2004 is inferior because it's (or rather UT2003 which is the same in gameplay) a console game first and foremost (on consoles it goes under a name Unreal Championship) - which in turn means it's SLOOOOOW. Jumping and firing rockets in it feels like you are swimming in a water.

Onslaught is a good mode though. Way better than BF2.
Uh. It's fairly obvious you never played UT2k4/3 anywhere but on a demo server. It's a highly competitive game which requires a fuckton of skill which you won't acquire over one night, or even over a year. It's a hard game where both aiming, positioning, movement and, above all else, timing play a crucial role.

Try moving or aiming like this with a gamepad.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
I barely ever play shooters (maybe once every few months), but when I do play one, it's almost always UT99.

The sniper rifle in that game is amazing at any range if you're good at getting headshots.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Uh. It's fairly obvious you never played UT2k4/3 anywhere but on a demo server. It's a highly competitive game which requires a fuckton of skill which you won't acquire over one night, or even over a year. It's a hard game where both aiming, positioning, movement and, above all else, timing play a crucial role.

If by "fuckton of skill" you mean me being in Top3 frag lists on random servers then I guess I'm a very l33t player? Even though in UT I'm in the middle usually.

@video - this is what I'm talking about. It's SLOOOOOOW. Even look when dude jumps/falls down from something - it's like low-gravity.

thesoup

Arcane
Random servers don't count. I'm in Top3 on random servers in QL and I can't even move properly.

Ut2k4 may be slower paced than UT99, but it's still a fast paced game. It also has more advanced and harder movement. I can also say UT99 is a console game because it's a lot slower than Quake and Warsow.

It is weird that HL got mentioned in a QvsUT thread, simply because HL never did emphasis on multiplayer, but nevertheless, it was fun. Maaang, those games on Crossfire, with all guns from singleplayer, turrets, bunker and nuclear launch...

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Too bad no one went for the nuclear launch after a while. I always loved to put a satchel charge in the door and blow the poor sap that though he'd go push the red button.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I occasionally fire up some Ut 2k4 for onslaught. Mostly against bots though, since players are hard to come by these days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom