Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Does Ocarina of Time get better?

• Thread starter Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal
  • Start date

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

After finding out that the Wii U that I bought to play Breast of the Wild has pretty much every Legend of Zelda game available for download, I went for the most critically-acclaimed weaboo game of all time. I am currently inside the Deku tree fighting spiders, and wondering if the game picks up the pace any time soon. So far I'm mostly fighting with the horrid camera/controls and peering intensely into the godawful dark ages of 3D graphics. When does the brilliance begin?

Beastro

Arcane
If you're looking for a faster pace game OoT doesn't do that, it's a fairly laid back game. What does change is what you can do as you get more equipment that opens up different things.

Also keep in mind I haven't played the game with anything but a N64 controller, so I don't know what it's like without one. I have a feeling like many N64 games it's gameplay would feel odd without it, like with it you quickly get into the habit of hitting the trigger button on the bottom to make the camera look where Link is facing that really fit with ergonomic location the buttons placed at.

Play it to relax, not get excited.

And the graphics aren't bad for the time. It was released in '98 and isn't something like Vurtua Fighter levels of 3D, but graphics have never been a big deal to me.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
No, people hold it in such high regard because of nostalgia and if you're playing it for the first time now there's nothing for you there.

Momock

Augur
The beginning of OoT is boring until you reach adulthood, then it's great. You should continue and finish the game (and then play Major's Mask).

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

Thanks, I'll keep playing it.

Also keep in mind I haven't played the game with anything but a N64 controller, so I don't know what it's like without one. I have a feeling like many N64 games it's gameplay would feel odd without it, like with it you quickly get into the habit of hitting the trigger button on the bottom to make the camera look where Link is facing that really fit with ergonomic location the buttons placed at.
The camera button is on the left trigger of the Weaboo U controller, so not a huge problem. Also, I can reassign my gender all the buttons however I want.

"I'm halfway through the tutorial and I'm not impressed", never heard that one before
I actually want to be impressed, though.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I played the game long after its release (on a Gamecube, long after the Gamecube's release -- I think circa 2010) and while I found parts of it endearing, I finally quit at a segment that involved walking across ropes where the entire challenge arose from the intersection of bad camera angle and sloppy controls. Literally, all you were doing was walking in a straight (albeit diagonal) line. Even then, I had a pretty low threshold for games that generate challenge based on engine shortcomings, and I'm sure I would find it intolerable now.

Hyperion

Arcane
Ocarina of Time is a bit of a slow burn. Similar to A Link to the Past, the first 3 dungeons are mediocre and serve to teach you basic mechanics that you're going to build upon for the rest of the game. Like A Link to the Past, the game gets better and better with each dungeon because you keep getting more tools at your disposal to solve the puzzles. The last of the dungeons was great because of some great 1v1 fights with pretty dangerous enemies. Unfortunately, locked on combat ("Z-Targeting") is no longer a big deal like it was in '98 so I doubt you'll be impressed with it.

boot

Prophet
I played the game long after its release (on a Gamecube, long after the Gamecube's release -- I think circa 2010) and while I found parts of it endearing, I finally quit at a segment that involved walking across ropes where the entire challenge arose from the intersection of bad camera angle and sloppy controls. Literally, all you were doing was walking in a straight (albeit diagonal) line. Even then, I had a pretty low threshold for games that generate challenge based on engine shortcomings, and I'm sure I would find it intolerable now.

That was the Fire Temple, path to the hammer. Not a rope. Low visiospatial skills =\= challenge based on engine shortcomings. Your post reminds me of all those cucks saying DnD is broken. You are broken.

OoT is very well paced, gets better all the way to the end. Still a good adventure game to play today.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I'm sure you know your game best of all, but my recollection was that it was stuff like this:
Goron_City.png

That said, it's certainly true that I've never particularly liked 3D platforming, even back in Landstalker days it exasperated me to no end.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It's pretty boring before the time skip, but unfortunately you wouldn't appreciate the time skip so much if it wasn't for the build up. Also finally being able to use the Iron Shield properly instead of turtling under it.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The Deku Tree is like the Statue of Liberty in Deus Ex. It's here to teach you about the basic mechanics, but it's actually the worse part of the game.

This was the first Zelda game that had an egregiously long tutorial. The older Zelda games just assumed you weren't a complete bumbling idiot and let you actually play.

Other than that, I liked the game. I was 18 when it came out so I'm not that affected by nostalgia, I was already a cynic back then. It was the blueprint for a lot of mechanics (z-targeting especially) and some of the dungeons were pretty cool. Not a life changing experience like the retards in the gaming lolmedia hailed, but still a pretty good game.

I much prefer Majora's Mask, though.

Navi: "This door has a lock on it! We will need a KEY to go inside!"

MRY Damn, I was going to post "no, he means the goron city" but didn't because...well...it isn't that hard. I thought it had to be something else. :M You can walk slowly and/or just hold Z to keep the camera right behind you. The game has auto-jump to prevent platforming shenanigans.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I just remember it being boring and annoying. I have a pretty low threshold for quitting a game.

Alex

Arcane
Ocarina of Time is a bit of a slow burn. Similar to A Link to the Past, the first 3 dungeons are mediocre and serve to teach you basic mechanics that you're going to build upon for the rest of the game. Like A Link to the Past, the game gets better and better with each dungeon because you keep getting more tools at your disposal to solve the puzzles. The last of the dungeons was great because of some great 1v1 fights with pretty dangerous enemies. Unfortunately, locked on combat ("Z-Targeting") is no longer a big deal like it was in '98 so I doubt you'll be impressed with it.

I think Hyperion hits the nail on the head here. But that said, I think A Link to the Past is way better because you don't have to deal with cameras, 3D and a lot of other stuff. Also, getting every single collectable in A Link to the Past felt way more rewarding and fun than doing that in Ocarina of the Time.

Falksi

Arcane
Been years since I played it, but as a big fan of the SNES' Link to The Past I couldn't wait to get my hands on it originally. Was hugely disappointed, and found it very slow, dull, and nowhere near having the depth/challenge/layers of it's Snes predecessor.
Would have to play it again to pinpoint why, probably includes some of the reasons Alex has posted, but to this day I don't get why folk rated it so highly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom