Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dominions 3 kicks ass

We're just getting a group together to play it. I didn't bother reading any manuals or that shit because I like figuring things out, and damn that playing a good turn-based strategy feels just so natural and great. In the past I have had trouble finding people willing to play TBS multiplayer, but now we're getting some real action.

Turn-based strategy is so alive.

Destroid

Arcane
You know, it surprised me that HOMAM3 placed in the top10 strat games and Dominions 3 did not, considering most people have said Dominions is like HOMAM but superior?

mondblut

Arcane
Destroid said:
considering most people have said Dominions is like HOMAM...

WTF??? :x

Perhaps you're confusing it with Eador. Dominions, thankfully, has absolutely fucking nothing remotely similar to Homoes of MM.

mondblut

Arcane
Not when it meets hordes of h1 priests, unless it was left alone to blossom until it's too massive to stop.

Destroid

Arcane
mondblut said:
Destroid said:
considering most people have said Dominions is like HOMAM...

WTF??? :x

Perhaps you're confusing it with Eador. Dominions, thankfully, has absolutely fucking nothing remotely similar to Homoes of MM.

Well thats good. What game IS Dominions like?

mondblut

Arcane
It's like Master of Magic high on meth raping VGA Planets which passed out from all the booze. On the Risk bedsheets.

Johannes

Arcane
What kind of time commitment is playing this MP usually? How fast do you need to submit your turn, and for how long can a game be expected to go on for?

Well turns are made simultaneously so I suppose it depends on how fast your players are. If somebody is constantly wanking for 15 minutes...

We played it yesterday for perhaps 4-6 hours, and during that time my friend was almost destroyed by gangbang from every side and I almost destroyed Ermor. I suppose that doesn't tell anything, but I felt it progressed nicely.

DakaSha

Arcane
Yes dominions 3 kicks ass and when im out of my programming binge ill ask for a game with you and your bros

edit: oh.. i really really recommended the CBM (newest version.. yes the one that makes gem generators and (ZOMG) the hammer unique)

Destroid

Arcane
mondblut said:
It's like Master of Magic high on meth raping VGA Planets which passed out from all the booze. On the Risk bedsheets.

Sounds like I should give it a go then. For some reason I've always assumed it was like HoMaM, i.e. shit.

Yeesh

Magister
Johannes said:
What kind of time commitment is playing this MP usually? How fast do you need to submit your turn, and for how long can a game be expected to go on for?
Turns take very little time in the beginning, with the amount of time needing to plan and order your moves growing as the game goes on (unless your empire starts shrinking because you're losing). Generally the first dozen turns can come quickly on the first day, but as games go on they tend to slow down to a deadline of one or two turns per day. Games can go on for a long, long time.

Destroid said:
Sounds like I should give it a go then. For some reason I've always assumed it was like HoMaM, i.e. shit.
I've had a tremendous amount of fun with it single player, but then I'm a weirdo who likes dwarf fortress. The strategic AI is brain dead, but since both you and it have to rely to some extent on the same free-spirited battle AI, the early and even mid game can still be very tough with the right settings and mods.

But multiplayer is considered the game's true strength.

Rpgsaurus

Novice
Yeesh said:
I've had a tremendous amount of fun with it single player, but then I'm a weirdo who likes dwarf fortress. The strategic AI is brain dead, but since both you and it have to rely to some extent on the same free-spirited battle AI, the early and even mid game can still be very tough with the right settings and mods.

Same. I just don't have the patience for multiplayer and SP dom3 can be heaps of fun: discovering new workable unit+spell combos, trying out different nations/ages, building your super-combatants that wreck the hordes the AI throw at you, etc. Thankfully, there are a ton of things in the game to experiment with.

The game *is* designed for multiplayer, though, so it's a bit like playing DOTA with AI bots. Yeah, it's fun for a while, but... it feels kinda fake.

DakaSha said:
Yes dominions 3 kicks ass and when im out of my programming binge ill ask for a game with you and your bros

edit: oh.. i really really recommended the CBM (newest version.. yes the one that makes gem generators and (ZOMG) the hammer unique)

Yeah, sure. There seems to be a bunch of Dominions 3 players around here.

What do you do with EA R'lyeh anyway? I just turtle in sea of ice and try to throw out annoying spells, however this hasn't worked out all too well since magic gem production is slow. Maybe I should have had a pretender that can exit sea, heh.

DakaSha

Arcane
depending on your magic paths etc you can create am item that will allow a sea bound commander to function on land.. you prob need air though :-/

Ive never really played EA R'lyeh so i cant help much heh

DakaSha

Arcane
If you are playing against people of equal newbishness you are prob in the advantage with any water nation simply because its easier to move out of the water then it is into it.

depends on map and rival nations though of course.

Just keep in mind that EA is all about magic, super combatants and ARCHERS.. low armor of EA makes any kind of spam pretty devastating.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
EA R'lyeh is just weak. Mages look good on paper, but upon further inspection they have just 1 free slot, are really expensive, cost a fortune at size 6 .... Also you got no missile troops, your amphibians are mediocre at best. Only useful for maps with lots of water of provinces.

PS: I call for another PBEM game. OP and Mondblut?

This game sounds very interesting. It must have some serious cons to not be mentioned more often on the Codex? Obscurity certainly isn't something to get in the way of Codex popularity

Rpgsaurus

Novice
Excommunicator said:
This game sounds very interesting. It must have some serious cons to not be mentioned more often on the Codex? Obscurity certainly isn't something to get in the way of Codex popularity

It is first and foremost a multiplayer, PBEM game. Not everyone has the patience for it (myself included).

Johannes

Arcane
Also the micromanagement of the battle formations, and other things too, is very time consuming. And the sheer amount of units, spells, factions, eras, just the amount of detail in everything can be off putting if you'd prefer a more strategy focused game.

So, more of an unpolished diamond then? Hm okay.

Hopefully they are working towards a sequel strictly to improve the design flaws then. They seem to have the right ideas and a certain degree of capability from what little I have read about it, and perhaps once they have had more experience sorting out the problems, they can develop it into something truly special

DakaSha

Arcane
its the third one and they arnt planning a 4th

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom