Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dominions 4 Intercommunity Game

KoolNoodles

Arcane
We aren't out of this. Seems to be a lot of miscommunication and arbitrary deadlines going around.

I'm submitting a draft list, and then we'll probably be in.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
If anyone has any nations they REALLY like to play, post them here and I will put them on our list tonight. Look at the bans first though, of course. They are mostly up to date in our thread except LA Xib and LA Atlantis are banned too(nobody likes fun).

sqeecoo

Arcane
As team leader you should pick what's most synergistic, but I guess Vanheim may be on the OP spectrum and not banned? Or a triple Mictlan team? :D

KoolNoodles

Arcane
As team leader you should pick what's most synergistic, but I guess Vanheim may be on the OP spectrum and not banned? Or a triple Mictlan team? :D

Just to let you know, I need to submit 10 nations, and then they have some weird system that picks from them and rolls dice if another team picks something, blah blah.

So yeah, anything that stands out for you that is enjoyable.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Well, maybe we should pick some good bless nations? The Mictlans, Jomon and Shinu, Vanheim, Nifel, Lanka?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Anyway on a more productive note here are my guidelines for disciple games nation picking:

1. Pick nations that work together scale wise - but you can take one nation that prefers heat scale that is 3 scales separated from the other two. The odd heat nation will be the pretender tanking scales and earning 120 points while not hurting the other 2 nations.
2. Pick nations that can earn points on scales. Sloth nations come to mind as tanking sloth 3 is another 120 points.
3. Pick nations with strong access to Earth/Air/Blood magic as those are, in my opinion, strongest paths. Secondary ND.
4. Pick nations with solid troops and sacreds.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Examples of teams that fit:
1. Jotunheim/Pangaea/Asphodel - sloth 3, Pangaea pretender with a lot of chassis to pick from and cold, very strong sacreds, good EBDN access.

Sloth nations with solid sacreds and good magic: Jotunheim/Pangaea (EA and MA), Asphodel (can't be pretender), Sceleria (magic on the weak side but fits the sloth theme and can fill the SD need of the team), Utgard (weaker Jotunheim). No LA nations fit sloth other than maybe Lemuria but thats risky. Most EA nations have troops that are too weak to work in all ages game in my opinion.

Solid scales nations with good magic:

2. MA Ulm - very potent early and mid game and forging for the team .
EA Berytos - very good thug access via Melqarts, very good magic, absolute shit troops - needs to be protected.
MA Vanarus/MA Vanheim/LA Vanheim (forgot the name) - good troops, good magic, usable sacreds. Top tier scales picks.

3. Nations giving something via their dominion effect:
MA Agartha - stronger lifeless, works for golems.
Arco any age isn't worth it.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Some of the bans make incredibly little sense (Ea Atlantis?!?!?!? EA ABYSIA?!?!?!? LA Atlantis is also a somewhat stupid ban. It's strong, but not THAT strong.)

If sea is an option, all the top-tier UW nations are free. But it's a risky bet.

The only EA nations left somewhat strong are Elves (Tir, Vanheim, Helheim) but they are one-trick ponies. Helheim has the sweet Blood+Air+Minor Earth combo, and their troops are almost reliable. Tons of sacreds, they work somewhat with Sloth. Cold nation, though.

On MA nations, I'd like to defend Marignon. MA Mari is unglamorous, but as a "works rather well in most circumstances" pick it does the job. Good early expansion, low res crossbowmen and great (if a tad overpriced) summons. Pity their battle magic is so one-note to be painful to see. MA Pangaea is good for a variety of builds, and has a shitton of toys. Magic isn't top tier, but it has E and minor Blood access. Sceleria is flexible but kinda weak.

LA Ulm is also a rather flexible choice (a tad predictable, though). Bogarus as a novelty pick :lol:

sqeecoo

Arcane
Why aren't you playing this Malakal?

To defend my suggestions, the Mictlans suit your priciples quite well, and while I have no experience with the other nations I was under the impression that Shinu/Jomon can be a very effective disciple nation with a high air disciple summoning up konoha tengus with gems from the whole team. Nifel was sorta a random mention, I agree, but they have a strong thug game, right? Especially with teammates doing the forging for their biguns :)

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Why aren't you playing this Malakal?

To defend my suggestions, the Mictlans suit your priciples quite well, and while I have no experience with the other nations I was under the impression that Shinu/Jomon can be a very effective disciple nation with a high air disciple summoning up konoha tengus with gems from the whole team. Nifel was sorta a random mention, I agree, but they have a strong thug game, right? Especially with teammates doing the forging for their biguns :)

I am a bit tired of big games and of disciples.

As for Mictlan, yes, it fits very well. But it will be hotly contested and also a rush bait.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Thanks for your thoughts, mostly people not playing. Remember I asked for enjoyable nations? :lol:

I don't expect to win, so you guys might as well have fun. Due to the amount of teams though, don't be surprised if you are stuck with Jomon(which actually did quite well in a recent Disciple game!).

Edit: sent our first round of picks in, we shall see.

Last edited:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Thanks for your thoughts, mostly people not playing. Remember I asked for enjoyable nations? :lol:

I don't expect to win, so you guys might as well have fun. Due to the amount of teams though, don't be surprised if you are stuck with Jomon(which actually did quite well in a recent Disciple game!).

Edit: sent our first round of picks in, we shall see.

Jomon actually has very nice summons and their troops aren't horrible IF you do not face a lot of crossbows early on. Since LA mostly uses crossbows early on its reputation for being horrible is fairly warranted, could work better here.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Our first nation is MA Pangaea.

And results are in!

Ten nations was probably unnecessary. 5 will be enough for future rounds.
Lots of teams had lots of national overlap, but there was a lot of variety in which one they put first. So,
Something Awful gets EA Pan!
Dom4mods gets LA Mictlan!
The Last Fantasy gets MA Pelagia!
TROW: The Doom that Walks gets MA Jotunheim!
RPGNet gets LA Ulm!
TeamLiquid gets EA Caelum!
RPGCodex gets MA Pan!
Clockwork Forest gets EA Berytos!

There was a three way tie for Lanka between the University of North Florida's Junior Varsity Dominions Team, /V/anheim, and /Domg/, either putting to bed whispers of collusion or exploding them into the light.

University of North Florida won the roll. Accordingly, they get LANKA.
/V/anheim goes down one step, getting one conflict point and gets Vanarus
/Domg/ skips the already selected MA Pan, and goes down two steps for two conflict points and EA VANHEIM

Dayyālu

Arcane
MA Pangaea is good for a variety of builds, and has a shitton of toys. Magic isn't top tier, but it has E and minor Blood access.

As I said, MA Pan is top-tier and very flexible. Supports scales, sacreds, research-intensive strategies and has very good expansion.

So, let's check the picks. They are all very predictable, bar the MA Pelagia (if they are going UW they are going rapetrain, it's a risky yet effective strategy) and EA Caelum. EA Caelum? Wut? They work, but... wut?

EA Mictlan is still open and it's a good pick. EA Sauro is painfully predictable, but it's adequate.

MA Sceleria, MA Mictlan and MA Ulm are all good, solid middle of the road picks. We're lucky that Pans have good synergy with pretty much everything.

Good elves and giants are still there, but I never liked them too much.

One detail, what was "our" ban? I count only 10 bans and 11 teams.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
EA Birds best birds - skele spam, usual thunder spam, excellent eagle kings. And bird troops suck both MA and EA, LA has decent troops but the mages suck.

EA Sauro has trash troops and weak magic if you ask me. Not a fan of humans + death. You want a cheap nerd nation there are many better picks.

MA Ulm forces you into a scales route, I'd wait with that. Sceleria and Mictlan are not worth it yet either in my opinion.

I second EA Micltan. Also consider Gath (even works with some sloth), Utgard (weaker Jotun but still has skratti), Midgard, MA Vanheim.

Not sure what was banned tho.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I elected not to ban. Was thinking Gath. Also I like O3 Pan builds. If you don't spread too many candles early(with cheap ass temples you can pick and choose, or save yourself in a pinch), border Pans or Pans in enemy lands will still generate plenty of chaff.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
And our 2nd is MA Vanheim.

Dong receives EA Mictlan
Vanheim receives EA Fomoria.
SA receives EA Helheim
Team Floridaman receives EA Tien Chi
RPGNet receives EA TNN
TeamLiquid receives LA Utgard
TROW: The Doom that Walks receives LA Midgard
Clockwork Forest receives MA Ashdod, and one conflict point
RPGCodex receives MA Vanheim, and two conflict points
The Last Fantasy receives LA Abysia, and four conflict points
Dom4mods receives LA Marignon, and six conflict points

I'd like to congratulate dom4mods for predicting what literally all of the first round entries were, and using those for their top 6 picks. I wish you had won the roll off to prevent going through that. If you are having second thoughts on la marignon (ie, just entered it to fill the last few spots), let me know ASAP.

24 hours to submit a round of nation bans. Just email them/post them/whatever if you want to participate in the banning.

After that, pick order is:

Dom4mods
The Last Fantasy
RPGCodex/Domg
Vanheim/Clockwork Forest
Everyone else.

Nations currently not available:

EA TNN
EA Helheim
EA Tien Chi
EA Fomoria
EA Mictlan
EA Abysia
EA Xibalba
EA Atlantis
EA Pan
EA Berytos
EA Caelum
EA Vanheim
EA Lanka

MA Ashdod
MA Vanheim
MA Vanarus
MA Jotunheim
MA Pelagia
MA Agartha
MA Ermor
MA Nazca
MA Asphodel
MA Pan

LA Midgard
LA Utgard
LA Abysia
LA Marignon
LA Ulm
LA Mictlan
LA Ragha
LA Xibalba
LA Atlantis

Dayyālu

Arcane
Good one. Blood, Air, and Dwarven smiths. Limited Cold affinity, but happens.

Tons of adequate options still around. We pick third and with "advantage points", that I guess give us priority compared to domg in sum1won 's addled mind or something.

The only pick I don't get is LA Abysia. The Last Fantasy is Chinese, their meta must be kinda crazy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom