Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dominions 4 Intercommunity Game

Johannes

Arcane
What pretender/disciples did you ultimately go with?

KoolNoodles

Arcane
What pretender/disciples did you ultimately go with?

Probably out of the bag for most teams by now, so......Great Mother Pretender, Moloch + Gorgon Disciples.

And as a bonus, here's the first Disciple kill in the game I believe, done by yours truly several turns back. Roast boar. And Rpgnet is almost dead, holed up in castles. So even if we go down, you guys can be proud that we own the rpg mantle, or something.
q4gRTMp.jpg

Dayyālu

Arcane
You got their caps?

Of course not. The retards started a suicide run aganst us by dropping their boar on one of my forts, losing me 800 G in the process. Then they got smashed in a couple of battles, lost their boar and then got knifed with surgical precision. We could not rush fast enough, and other people got the spoils.

But what we could expect, it's RPG.Net

KoolNoodles

Arcane
You got their caps?

Got one fort+lab out of it, and a half dozen middle of the road provinces. Domg swooped in and grabbed the rest + caps(and throne), so they are easily in the best position right now(well, once they actually take those caps). They also found the throne of Life AND Death. Talk about lucky as F.

Edit: Stream snipers. :lol:

Pathetic.

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
Of course not. The retards started a suicide run aganst us by dropping their boar on one of my forts, losing me 800 G in the process. Then they got smashed in a couple of battles, lost their boar and then got knifed with surgical precision.

I hope they got the message that RPGCodex can be quite F.A.T.A.L. :smug:

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Things are still going well, so far. We jumped on team underwater(of Sauromatia/Abysia/Pelagia) next to us and have basically wiped out Sauro in a few turns. We'll see how the sieges go(two down, several to go).

Still no thrones though! :argh:

KoolNoodles

Arcane
The Sauromatian Pacification Force is in place. TLF won't read these boards/already sallied forth, and /domg/ or whoever already knows what's up. :lol:

If there's a big horrible battle, I'll try to post a video.

rvP81D8.jpg

KoolNoodles

Arcane
We are about to have our first double(triple?) team against us, though we are fairly big now. We have, perhaps, one ally in this. Wish us luck. :positive:

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Since everyone likes maps and it shouldn't be a surprise to many:
Our position relative to our neighbors.

Red are possible enemies, soon. None of them have been very friendly except /v/anheim, who we allied with to take out TLF.

TLF in green are down to Pelagia and two besieged caps at Abysia/Sauromatia.

Blue is the eternal struggle from almost the beginning, of dom4mods hanging on to their caps(two besieged) against a gangup.

TROW is the biggest nation in the game, with some luck and good poaching on wars other people started, and nobody actually went after them. So, if they take us down in a coalition, the game will essentially be over. There are two smaller nations out there that that could theoretically do some backstabbing of some of these others, but only one is playing aggressively.

D6kh4eI.jpg

mondblut

Arcane
I expect complete AAR when it is done. Anal rape of rpgnet should never be forgotten!

KoolNoodles

Arcane
It turns out I was wrong, a bit, about size. Someone cast EoG and posted graphs on 4chan(I know, I vomit almost as much visiting there as I do here :neveraskedforthis:).

http://boards.4chan.org/vg/thread/172835704#p173194220

Edit: Basically we're fine, except our research sucks, early constant wars and long sieges, I guess. :lol:

Shame, usually try to get my nation near the research top, but in this game I've needed a lot of mages out fighting/moving around.

I am surprised, a little, at my army size being #2(not that it matters). I guess that's what cheap ass levites can do.

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
It turns out I was wrong, a bit, about size. Someone cast EoG and posted graphs on 4chan(I know, I vomit almost as much visiting there as I do here ).

HEY

Their historical games board in tg is very good! Tons of resources! And kind people!

But yeh, we're going to get mauled by alliances. Fun thing is, Codexian games are usually "carebear" and low-key compared to what other forums claims. We can at least say that being a bunch of non-insane players helps with results. Good job, team. you upheld the honour :)lol::lol::lol:) of Codexia

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It turns out I was wrong, a bit, about size. Someone cast EoG and posted graphs on 4chan(I know, I vomit almost as much visiting there as I do here ).

HEY

Their historical games board in tg is very good! Tons of resources! And kind people!

But yeh, we're going to get mauled by alliances. Fun thing is, Codexian games are usually "carebear" and low-key compared to what other forums claims. We can at least say that being a bunch of non-insane players helps with results. Good job, team. you upheld the honour :)lol::lol::lol:) of Codexia

Yea, domg is very aggressive and its common to weed out 30-50% of the players within the first 20 turns. And I hear that other forums are even more aggressive.

Johannes

Arcane
What turn is this all at now?

The Sauromatian Pacification Force is in place. TLF won't read these boards/already sallied forth, and /domg/ or whoever already knows what's up. :lol:

rvP81D8.jpg
Looking at this image you're doing a basic mistake. Units under a preaching commander don't count to the siege strength you have, so assign the preachers troops to different commanders.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Looking at this image you're doing a basic mistake. Units under a preaching commander don't count to the siege strength you have, so assign the preachers troops to different commanders.

Late Spring of the year 4.

And the troops are probably basic bodyguards, as combat commanders are sieging properly.

Yea, domg is very aggressive and its common to weed out 30-50% of the players within the first 20 turns. And I hear that other forums are even more aggressive.

Very aggressive and very dumb, if my limited experience is anything to go by. Domg tends to go AI and to throw itself in dumb wars (and failing to counter blobbing players) far more than the Codex.

KoolNoodles

Arcane

rvP81D8.jpg

Turn 38. The castle was breached almost instantly, that is not the issue. Was preaching to get positive against their immortal disciple, and waiting on research to assault. They have A LOT of nasty stuff in there.

Edit: Also Abysia had a lot of assassins running around.

Last edited:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

rvP81D8.jpg

Turn 38. The castle was breached almost instantly, that is not the issue. Was preaching to get positive against their immortal disciple, and waiting on research to assault. They have A LOT of nasty stuff in there.

Edit: Also Abysia had a lot of assassins running around.

And whats inside?

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Shadow blast spam, quagmire,stellar cascade communions, handful of flaming arrow archers, skelly spam, 6-8 Oropata commanders w/brand+vine+armor of knights(W9N9) that get body ethereal/protection.....some other stuff including ~150 units. 30ish Oropatas, rest is junk/commanders/Pheonix.

Very aggressive and very dumb, if my limited experience is anything to go by. Domg tends to go AI and to throw itself in dumb wars (and failing to counter blobbing players) far more than the Codex.
That's my experience of their "weeding out" process as well. 25% lose one battle and go AI and another 25% just forget the game and start serial staling.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
More experienced frequenters of the Codex/Dominions, ya'll got any tips on surviving a gang? Johannes Malakal Grimwulf ?

I have tried my best, but feel like I hit a wall diplomatically. We just did too well against Sauromatia/Abysia and quickly climbed to the top in land etc.(not research/thrones though...).

So we have land, we have troops, we have some decent, focused, magic....but what would you do if faced with an imminent attack from possibly all sides? Fall back and consolidate? Counter raid as much as possible? Focus down one enemy(this would take considerable resources, none of these teams are "weak")?

I don't expect a win, but theoretically could find one in the chaos. The game is still at least somewhat fluid.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Usually you either have to win or last long enough for the situation to change.

To win in this situation you need to knock out as many opponents as soon as possible. Focusing on the weakest links while defending against the stronger players is the way to go. Trade land and resources while defeating your target.

If that is not an option then survival. Avoid losses at all cost and pray that someone else presents himself as a top dog or that coalition fractions. This happens very often but also depends how much of a threat you are perceived as. Main point is saving up enough resources to stage a comeback.

Seduction/assassination is a great asset for our team - sure, the enemy can assign bodyguards to commanders but that really cuts at his efficient troop usage - if 30% troops is guarding commanders then they are useless in actual battles. Aim for massed seductions before important fights, especially on forts as then they can't be patrolled out.

Think we also have plenty mobility. You guys got thugs/SCs up? That really helps with raiding and killing off smaller armies.

Johannes

Arcane
More experienced frequenters of the Codex/Dominions, ya'll got any tips on surviving a gang? Johannes Malakal Grimwulf ?

I have tried my best, but feel like I hit a wall diplomatically. We just did too well against Sauromatia/Abysia and quickly climbed to the top in land etc.(not research/thrones though...).

So we have land, we have troops, we have some decent, focused, magic....but what would you do if faced with an imminent attack from possibly all sides? Fall back and consolidate? Counter raid as much as possible? Focus down one enemy(this would take considerable resources, none of these teams are "weak")?
Often force conservation is the most important thing, and dealing damage to their current armies. If you're the biggest on the block retaining that status quo is enough - you don't necessarily need to conquer more right now. Putting too much of your mobile guys to offensive is dangerous, since you can't yet predict which fronts will need the most help. Trapezing a thug to kill an army of theirs, is usually preferable to taking an undefended province. Not to say you shouldn't attack at all, ofc.
IE: you wait for them to bring in their big guns, then you destroy them, then you counterattack.

When fighting alliances you gotta keep in mind though that a lot of the time everyone wants their allies to do the heavy lifting - so it's very possible some people won't commit too much resources to fighting you.

What teams / nations are you facing?

I don't expect a win, but theoretically could find one in the chaos. The game is still at least somewhat fluid.
I expect and will accept only victory from you, do not fail Kodexia.

To win in this situation you need to knock out as many opponents as soon as possible. Focusing on the weakest links while defending against the stronger players is the way to go. Trade land and resources while defeating your target.
I'm not so sure if that's the best approach. If you can beat the stronger players right now, there's nobody credible left to oppose you - it's better to have several weak opponents than one strong one. As time goes by, weak teams get relatively even weaker. But depends on the details, who has shit that can beat you now, and who looks like they'll get shit that can beat you next year.

One thing also is using some Fuck You spells like Rain of Toads etc., and Bane Venom Charms. When here your goal isn't as much to take their land asap, but fuck their economy (and morale) in the long run.

Last edited:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Weakest nation in a particular team is the weakest link, if they could beat the strongest player in every team there would be no problem.

Anyway due to how gem spending works its extremely easy to leverage even a very weak player via gem burning attacks to win wars. Thats why they have to go.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I was mostly torn between "wait and see" or "fuck somebody weaker up right now with a blitz". We have thugs aplenty, with Gath and Van(and theoretically Pan), and three Disciples/Pretender SCs.

The main known antagonist, and other "big" in the game is TROW. They broke the NAP and said something about somebody else wanting to attack us, which kicked this off. They have MA Jotunheim(who is at least at Blood7), LA Caelum and LA Midgard. So that is certainly an annoying combo.

Other possibilities are /v/anheim to our north with MA Arco(Golems), MA Vanarus, EA Fomoria, and /domg/ to our south has EA Vanheim, EA Mictlan, LA Patala.

/domg/ has been, by far, the most undiplomatic and antagonistic of the "neutral" teams. Their M.O. seems to be: do something aggressive without any effort at communication>If good result say "that was ours anyways/sorry too bad" >If bad result, complain/whine, and ask for compensation or a deal.

Case in point, we took TNNs throne(From TNN, that /domg/ could never hold longer than two turns). They first ran some ~30 un-blessed(what) eagle warriors there who of course got slaughtered. So they complained and whined and the province is "theirs" wah wah. Next after no more communication other than whining, they attacked with a bunch of Vans etc., and lightning spam, which of course won against a small force.

Afterwards the line is "that's the way it should be". :retarded:

So the fall back plan, if things go south, is to just fuck them up as much as possible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom