Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Don't expect a turn-based Final Fantasy (or AAA "JRPG" in general) ever again: FF15 sells 8mil units

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Final Fantasy 15 Sales Reach A Breathtaking 7.7 Million Mark
Final-Fantasy-XV-Windows.jpg

By Osama NiaziAugust 7, 2018View image on Twitter

bazztek@_bazztek
https://twitter.com/_bazztek/status/1026438039533314048

FFXV has now sold 7.7 million worldwide, according to Square Enix's product info page for FFXV on the Japanese site. https://jp.finalfantasy.com/news/2000 #FFXV

8:01 AM - Aug 6, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy

With so much game content, especially for the PC version and especially the mods, things really stepped up in terms of sales. To be honest, although the game is good as it is but bets were that it would not be reaching, its goal of 10 million sales, aimed by the company.

Yes, if you have not heard, Square Enix aims to take the Final Fantasy 15 Sales all the way to 10 million. Which at that time felt like a difficult task, even with the appreciations but now based on the numbers it seems like a very much reachable target.

However, they will have to keep rolling out updates and newer mods if they want to reach their lucky number, that is for sure.

If you guys would remember, Final Fantasy 15 Windows Edition rolled out in March and it was as the director of the game said it would be, a generation ahead of consoles. Which it was and so this too adds to the hype of the game which ultimately landed more sales.

As you may know that Final Fantasy 15 rolled out back in November 2016 for Xbox One and PlayStation 4 then Final Fantasy 15 windows edition rolled out in March this year, after a long wait. So it landing on PC too served as a background force for these amazing Final Fantasy 15 Sales number.

That said you can check out more details about this game at the official Japanese website, as well.

With all that said, what are your thoughts about the game? Do you think that Square Enix will be able to reach their target of 10 million? Let us know in the comments below.

Theldaran

Liturgist
I was planning on getting the game, it seems pretty good and I don't think the combat is even that bad, I've heard that Ni no Kuni 2 combat is worse (as in repetitive, boring, banal, etc).

P. S. FF7 Remake, when it finally arrives, will be action RPG too, do you think the modern autists can cope with things from 20 years ago.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Square Enix is AAA of JRPGs. I expect no less than such behavior from them.

Theldaran

Liturgist
I remember the fond times of yore when JRPG imitated D&D.

Truly bygone years.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Square Enix is AAA of JRPGs. I expect no less than such behavior from them.

Not really. The only AAA series they have is Final Fantasy and maybe Kingdom Hearts (and only the main numbered series, not the spinoffs). Everything else they do has an A or AA budget. The other two big series by Square Enix are Dragon Quest and SaGa. SaGa is definitely A and Dragon Quest ranges from A to AA.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
As far as I'm concerned, the last good Final Fantasy game was 5. We haven't seen that level of customization in a mainline FF game since. Final Fantasy 12 came close, but I always get bored of that game after 20 hours.

P. S. FF7 Remake, when it finally arrives, will be action RPG too, do you think the modern autists can cope with things from 20 years ago.

There are a plethora of zoomers who have never played FF7 who will probably enjoy it.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
who cares about final fantasy when you got TRAILS.

vastly more underrated, but far far far superior in an incomprehensible magnitude. the only thing FF get advantage over trails is expensive CG animations which are utterly useless

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
FF15 is a decent game, and without a question the best one since 12 (not that it had much competition there).

As for whether it's better than Ni No Kuni 2: uh, unfortunately the answer is 'YES'. NNK2 combat is atrocious, just pure garbage.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Final Fantasy needs a good failure so that they might go seeking the roots of the series again.
SquareEnix would interpret the failure of a numbered non-MMO Final Fantasy as an excuse to stop making numbered single-player entries in the series, though of course they would continue with their MMORPGs as well as slapping the Final Fantasy name on anything else they can think of.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
FF15 was a mess. Combat system was clumsy and breaks down about halfway through, no character building to speak of, leveling and itemization was totally lame.

And the plot, oh god the plot, no fucking clue. Just a clusterfuck of shit from start to finish.

I suppose it shows how strong the allure of "muh open world" is. You could make a pretty good open world FF game but 15 is not it.

deuxhero

Arcane
Considering how expensive the game was to make, I'm not entirely sure 8 million is actually much (if any) profit. Remember Bravely Default (which had so little budget they had to repeat parts of the game multiple times near the end) got 1.6 million sales in ~1.5 years.

L'Montes

Educated
I think we already knew this when we saw info about the FF7 remake being action-focused. It's where things are headed for them, as far as "RPGs" go.

I assume it's the sort of thing where they figure they can transition all their "spectacle" games with lots of showy graphics to similar engines, and then have FF XYZ (the mainline), Dissisidiaisisis XY (the action-only spinoff that can re-use the same models), Crossover XY (they lend their models/whatever to be used in their own MMO FF14, and other companies' fighting games), BRAVEST-Fantasy (some assortment of gacha mobile games that re-use the designs).

It's just where things are at now. There would've need to be a much much bigger unified outcry (as opposed to circlejerking) in both Japan and in the West to make them even reconsider the action business in FF7. I suspect a lot of fans will wind up disappointed with that for various reasons. But hey... they still make some low budget turn-based games, so there's that.

Dedup

Augur
As far as I'm concerned SquareEnix can do whatever they want with the Final Fantasy series as long as the Dragon Quest games continue to stay true to form.

mogwaimon

Magister
Final Fantasy needs a good failure so that they might go seeking the roots of the series again.
That's basically what Bravely Default was. Haven't played the sequel but the first could easily have been called Final Fantasy and no one would have batted an eye.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
That's basically what Bravely Default was. Haven't played the sequel but the first could easily have been called Final Fantasy and no one would have batted an eye.

Saddest thing about Bravely Default was Square Enix being outright flabbergasted by it doing so well and couldn't comprehend why only to try to recapture the lightning twice afterward with I Am Setsuna and Lost Sphear. That should tell you everything you need to know how far up their own ass they are in terms of re-inventing the wheel for its own sake, which is honestly something FF has been guilty of since practically forever, and feeling the need to throw that net real damn wide to cater to as many people as possible. Turn-based, no matter how well executed or presented, will simply never get them them the numbers action RPG so simplified you don't even have to be aware of the math under the hood would.

Machocruz

Arcane
Not breathtaking numbers at all for a game with the Final Fantasy name in a world of hundreds of millions of people playing video games. But the point still stands as no turn based game sells that much these days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom