Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Don't expect a turn-based Final Fantasy (or AAA "JRPG" in general) ever again: FF15 sells 8mil units

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't need AAA turn-based games from Square.

Octopath Traveler
Dragon Quest XI
SaGa: Scarlet Grace
The World Ends With You: Final Remix

That's a great 2018 as far as I am concerned.

deuxhero

Arcane
is the world ends w/ you really good? it has a ton of re-releases.

Yes. Get the original and play it on an original DS (or lite/i). The ports literally remove half the gameplay, and the touch screen heavy nature means it's horrible to control on an emulator or 3DS (which either skews the aspect ration and makes you do stylus movements for longer, or makes you have to reach further inward depending on the setting). Genuinely one of the few games to actually make use of every feature on the DS and virtually none of them feel like a gimmick (the enemy that's killed by closing the DS and setting it to sleep mode is the exception, but it's not a particularly bad or annoying one). Of those few it's pretty much the only one that isn't a puzzle game.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Final Fantasy needs a good failure so that they might go seeking the roots of the series again.
That's basically what Bravely Default was. Haven't played the sequel but the first could easily have been called Final Fantasy and no one would have batted an eye.

Maybe "Final Insult".

I mean, there are literally 5 to 6 cities in the whole world. Such immersion. Like good RPGs, the combat is truly the focus there, but the rest verges on insufferable. Even the dungeons are very lazy.

They even had the nerve to milk it off with a sequel and probably a third game in the future.

P. S. Those Nintendo fuckers... The World Ends With You remake should come out in 3DS. They're so content with their tablet that 3DS is in the dumps. Not buying a Bitch, because who knows if the same will repeat in the future.

Tigranes

Arcane
is the world ends w/ you really good? it has a ton of re-releases.

Eh. I played it on Codex recommendations, and I didn't enjoy it that much. Depends on what you're looking for.

The story is extremely juvenile teenage angst right to the core, where everything is about opening up to other people and trusting in friendship and all that jazz. Not as bad as Evangelion or something, but a lot more than even FF7/8, because basically the entire plot is dominated by this. So it depends on your tolerance level for that.

The combat I found a cool attempt at using the dual screen (I played the DS version), and the controls aren't super-difficult, but it's a fast-paced action game where you're throwing a whole lot of crap everywhere & so is the enemy. Again, if that's what you want.

The 90's Tokyo/etc aesthetic is done really well, and the game has great presentation all round, which is a big plus.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Wasting AAA budget on a TB JRPG is pointless. PS2 level graphics in HD are more than enough (even SNES-like will do the trick.)
Focus on gameplay systems, character development, story and interesting setting instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom