Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Doom vs Brutal Doom - DISCUSS!

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Apples and oranges, SS (or any other FP game made by LGS for that matter) and Doom are two very different games with different goals and focus, don't see how you can compare them any more than you can compare say PST with Jagged Alliance 2. The only thing they have in common is a first person perspective and that they both excel in things they set out to do (and thus are among the best that their respective genres can offer).

sser

Arcane
Developer
My favorite part about Brutal Doom is the ability to jump and crouch :troll:

Vanilla Doom weapons don't feel as good as mod weapons (not only Brutal Doom, but Complex Doom as well).

Nigga you joking right? Let's go over Brutal Dooms weapons:

Pistol: Now OP and the equivalent of Doom's chaingun.

Shotgun & SSGun: Buffed because Brutal Doom is for casuals

Chaingun: Just made OP and kills everything ridiculously fast. Because BRUTAL I guess?

Rocket Launcher: Pretty much unchanged

Plasma gun: Another weapon buffed because casual.

BFG9000: Literally gutted and turned into a christmas tree version of the Rocket Launcher.

I'd go on about the "new" weapons but they follow the BFG's footsteps of being rocket launchers with slightly different coloration.

DraQ

Arcane
Apples and oranges, SS (or any other FP game made by LGS for that matter) and Doom are two very different games with different goals and focus, don't see how you can compare them any more than you can compare say PST with Jagged Alliance 2. The only thing they have in common is a first person perspective and that they both excel in things they set out to do (and thus are among the best that their respective genres can offer).
Make it PS:T (or Fallout) and Diablo and we can agree.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Make it PS:T (or Fallout) and Diablo and we can agree.

Sure, that might be a better comparison but still I wouldn't necessarily say one is better than the other, depends what I'm in the mood to play. Doom's formula may be simple (aside from level design) but it's executed to perfection, just compare it to today's modern shooters that can't even nail the basics like movement and weapon feel.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
He doesn't look like 13. You could just read Masters of Doom or any interview from the 90s and realize that John Romero wasn't some design genious who was out the make the most balanced 2.5D FPS in existance, but rather a Todd Howard of his day who thought that gore is cool and that ID's game should be more eXtreemee than any one else's. If they had believed in subtlety and craftmanship, they would've made a game called System Shock. But they didn't and instead they made Wolfenstein 3D and Doom, which were naturally infinitely more popular than System Shock because they were eXtreeemee and simple to play.
Original Doom was like Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The brilliance it had could not be recreated, so believing that the developers, who were mental teenagers who wanted to make the most eXtreeeme game possible with contemporary PC tech, were deliberately trying to make a design master piece is foolish. Luckily for them Doom happens to be one of those games where everything fell in place perfectly.

You're confusing intent with result. I don't think there's ever been a game design team which set out to create a masterpiece and then actually did it. Usually they set out to make a good game, and then somehow through a rare synergy of talent, event, flow of energy, whatever it is, it happens to be brilliant.

This was the case with Doom. Carmack's and Romero's maturity and social skills matter little. What matters is the objective truth that id software was a talented team, they set out to make a good game, and they made a brilliant, immortal masterpiece. One that doesn't still have an active modding community 20 years later (which is a millennia in computer years) because of its dated graphics, but because of how it _FEELS_ to play.

Capturing this FEEL was accomplished through a fragile balance of many variables, from player movement to monster movement to damages, reload times, monster-specific behaviors and their placement in the levels.

The combination like the initial members of id software staff does not happen often. It is very rare.

I know nothing about creator of Brutal Doom, except for the information they generously availed to me through the fruits of their labor. Which is their own vision, and no one can blame them for that. But I call them a run-of-the-mill teenager. because it's merely a compact way to summarize the retardation that oozes from Brutal Doom's every pore.

In many ways, Brutal Doom reminds me of Serious Sam. It is the end result of what happens when a multi-faceted game is re-interpreted through the filter of a flat, two-dimensional mind. It is the same transformation that occurred between Diablo 2 and Diablo 3, after Jay "fuck that loser" Wilson saw Diablo 2 as a mindless loot clicker, and set out to accomplish that, and no more than that.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
In many ways, Brutal Doom reminds me of Serious Sam. It is the end result of what happens when a multi-faceted game is re-interpreted through the filter of a flat, two-dimensional mind. It is the same transformation that occurred between Diablo 2 and Diablo 3, after Jay "fuck that loser" Wilson saw Diablo 2 as a mindless loot clicker, and set out to accomplish that, and no more than that.

Hey, stop stealing my arguments and rephrase them with better words.

Also, stawp blaming Jay Wilson for what was clearly a fuck up from Blizzard. He was just a scapegoat, and everybody fell for it, 'cause nobody can bring themselves to hate Blizzard apparently. Just think. Was Jay Wilson involved in Starcraft 2? Was he in charge of Battle.net 2.0? Exactly.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
It's true that Blizzard generally went full derp after becoming ActiBlizzard. I remember them being strictly opposed to a lot of derpitude which later dictated most WoW design decisions.

However, there's also this. The Starcraft 2 team actually produced a worthy sequel to Starcraft 1. A game that looks like Starcraft, feels like Starcraft, is moddable, and has a nice storyline. I'm not talking about the "parts", but about the initial release, which is to me the only Starcraft 2. And it wasn't helmed by Jay Wilson.

Jay Wilson is not just the scapegoat, he's the epitome of retardation which exists otherwise in NU BLIZZARD.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
However, there's also this. The Starcraft 2 team actually produced a worthy sequel to Starcraft 1. A game that looks like Starcraft, feels like Starcraft, is moddable, and has a nice storyline.

lol wtf no. Just no. The only reason Starcraft 2 doesn't suck as much as Diablo 3 is that they basically copied the original game almost vertabim. But everything they added/changed was shit, Battle.net 2.0 was the fucking epitome of decline when it first came out (it might still be so now, i haven't touched Shitcraft 2 since release), and everything pertaining to the story was absolutely idiotic. I'm talking about Bethesda levels of retardation here, sweet mother of durr.

I'm not talking about the "parts", but about the initial release

The game was shit from day one. I know because i gave up on it on day five. That's how long i lasted.

Jay Wilson is not just the scapegoat, he's the epitome of retardation which exists otherwise in NU BLIZZARD.

How odd that nu-Blizzard existed before he was hired and is going stronger than ever long after he's gone now.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Hey, stop stealing my arguments and rephrase them with better words.

Also, stawp blaming Jay Wilson for what was clearly a fuck up from Blizzard. He was just a scapegoat, and everybody fell for it, 'cause nobody can bring themselves to hate Blizzard apparently. Just think. Was Jay Wilson involved in Starcraft 2? Was he in charge of Battle.net 2.0? Exactly.

Also, isn't it Metzen who writes all the plots of the games?

Doom rules. Brutal Doom was a fun spin on it, but it got old very quickly. If I recall correctly, the last half year of Doom's development was used purely on polish and balance. They playtested and changed their level design, loot placement, damage variables and whatnot over and over again to get it just right. Brutal Doom just shits on all that balance. It's still a fine mod with fun ideas, but it ain't Doom.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Serious Sam is also pretty much its own thing, and pretty good at what it does. That it is often compared as a throwback to Doom is unfortunate.

Beautiful Doom > Brutal Doom

:bunkertime:

Beautiful Doom is a... Beautiful... example of how you can add gore and other visual stuff to Doom in a way that adds to the game. As opposed to Brutal Doom where it just turns everything to shit.

What do you think across-the-board buffs to player weapons counts as?

Brutal Doom is most definitely harder that regular Doom, doubly so when playing some custom WADs.

Brutal Doom merely enables a semi-fast monster mode by default. Vanilla Doom has Fast Monsters as an option, and it's harder than Brutal Doom's version. The rest of Brutal Doom's changes are artificial difficulty from boosting damage taken from all sources. Any moron can do that.

St. Toxic

Arcane
So it actually is more difficult huh?

tumblr_n8vw9eQJft1s3xc9ao1_250.gif

lol wtf no. Just no. The only reason Starcraft 2 doesn't suck as much as Diablo 3 is that they basically copied the original game almost vertabim.

Huh? But the original Starcraft was a horrible game for retarded gooks.

everything pertaining to the story was absolutely idiotic

Story in SC? Lol.

bert

Arcane
Brutal Doom is good and fun. Y'all niggas just crusty old white men. Vanilla Doom is perfect yes, but I like to play new things too. It just so happens BD is fun as well.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Huh? But the original Starcraft was a horrible game for retarded gooks.

The only one who appears to be retarded here is you. If you can't even understand why SC1 was superior to SC2 in every way (story included), than its obvious why you can't understand why Doom is better than Brutal Doom either.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Brutal Doom is good and fun. Y'all niggas just crusty old white men. Vanilla Doom is perfect yes, but I like to play new things too. It just so happens BD is fun as well.

Sorry, that isn't the argument. Read the thread, fag.

Destroid

Arcane
This was a great mod (I played the Quake 2 version), class based deathmatch with B.J. Blazkowicz, Doomguy, and the Quake guys.

Perkel

Arcane
At least ripping off Brutal Doom has a chance for :incline:
Alas, the modder who made Brutal Doom is pretty mad that Id are "ripping" his original donut steal idea of 80's hyper violence.

Wait what ? Where can i read buthurt ?

praetor

Arcane
wtf, why is there 5 pages on this ('cause this is teh 'dex, i guess)?! vanilla is by far the superior experience. no contest. if you think otherwise, kotaku/rps is that way ->

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom