Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Doom vs Quake(s)

... in single player mode of course coz in MP there's no contest - Q's win.

But... why so many people find SP Q1/Q2 so bad? At least comparing to Doom? I CAN understand the aversion to Q2's slowness but Q1 is fast as hell, has varied enemies, excellent level desing and so on. And Q2 mission pack The Reckoning has da most satysfying gunz like Phalanx or Ion Ripper in history of fps gaming.

Obviously it's a thread about games that all deserves the notes between 9/10 and 10/10 but... blah, DISCUSS!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Playing Doom and Quake back to back makes Quake feel very much like a ghost town thanks to full-3D, also movement doesn't feel as good either and it's harder to tell when you've been damaged.

A horse of course

Out of curiosity: Codex, what do you think of Quake 4?

I honestly can't remember anything from Q4 other than the rhino-esque enemy you fight early on, the Stroggification sequence, and the Makron fight (or rather, lots of bloomy explosions during the Makron fight).

potatojohn

Arcane
Quake 1 I guess. Better engine, more complex levels, rocket jumping, etc.

Astral Rag

Arcane
movement doesn't feel as good either and it's harder to tell when you've been damaged.

There is no first-person shooter game that has better "movement" than Quake. Did you play it with some shitty HD source port?

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There is no first-person shooter game that has better "movement" than Quake. Did you play it with some shitty HD source port?

"As good (as Doom)."

I played it back in '97.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Played lots of Doom (1, 2, Final, Ultimate, user made WADs) arund '95.
Only played shareware version of Quake when it was released.

20 years later I replayed all the early Doom games and Quake 1, and I had lots more fun with Doom than with Quake.
I used Doomsday Engine for Doom and DirectQ version of Quake.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Out of curiosity: Codex, what do you think of Quake 4?

I honestly can't remember anything from Q4 other than the rhino-esque enemy you fight early on, the Stroggification sequence, and the Makron fight (or rather, lots of bloomy explosions during the Makron fight).

Plus it was very short. That's what I remember from playing it.

Overall I spend more time in Doom and custom wads. Quake is good for mp and has custom content but frankly I just repeat the vanilla plus optionally the expansions and that's it.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I played Doom 1 & 2 and Quake 1 & 2 back-to-back a few months ago so these are my updated opinions: Doom wins, no contest. Monster variety is a lot more interesting, levels are better, guns are a lot more satisfying and the unique sprite death animations > those lame 3d giblets. Plus everything is a lot more colorful in Doom and thus far more interesting to look at, yet it still retains its sinister and demonic look (modern devs pay attention!!). Monsters are very pronounced with their colors and it's easy to make out what you are looking at. Everything in Quake is muddy and dark and there's hardly anything note worthy to look at in the environment.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I only played Quake 4 briefly, but it was so extremely scripted and "busy" that I soon lost interest. Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault came out around the same time and had the same problems, and they still remain the last new shooters I bought and (tried to) play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom