Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Dragon Knight Saga Review

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Divinity 2; Larian Studios

<p>Another review on <strong>Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga</strong> surfaced over at <a href="http://computergames.ro/en/games/viewitem/id/5733/name/divinity-ii-the-dragon-knight-saga/section/review.html" target="_blank">computergames.ro</a> with a final score of 80/100.</p>
<p>An excerpt on the difference between ED+FoV and DKS:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>Why we get a new package</strong><br /><br />The direct comparison for DKS is without doubt The Witcher: Enhanced Edition, a similar pack released with mainly the same reasons: solving technical issues, adding new stuff and improvements. Still, I don&rsquo;t think that DKS sports such huge differences to entice a gamer that already has Ego Draconis to buy the package.<br /><br />It&rsquo;s true that the graphics are better, but ultimately these aren&rsquo;t the point, we want quality gameplay with attractive quest and loot for the more packrat oriented adventurers. Thus, if we consider DKS to be 100%, then about 25% of it is new, including Flames of Vengeance. There are still technical problems, even some that I didn&rsquo;t encounter in Ego Draconis. And the irony is that back then I had a weaker video card and the game was running much better.<br /><br />The framerate in Flames of Vengeance can vary wildly as well, from 40+ frames to some 2 or 3 in moments when the game acted like I had 128MB RAM and a Pentium I. A game restart solved the problem for another four, five hours, but this was an ongoing issue, one I didn&rsquo;t have with Ego Draconis.<br /><br />More to that, I even got a blue screen when leaving Rivellon and the object interaction requires a sniper&rsquo;s precision. There are sausages, bread, apples spread around all over the place, along with keys to open certain doors and coffers, but you have to be in a certain spot and position the camera in a certain way to be able to use or pick them up.<br />&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <br /><br />The animations didn&rsquo;t get much love, as the hero moves and runs around in the same way, the NPCs have the same limited range of gestures and the facial models won&rsquo;t surprise anyone with detail or expressions. On the other hand, the differences can be seen in the surroundings, vegetation, walls or interiors.<br /><br />Also, the special effects and lighting are better, offering a special atmosphere in houses or in the red square near Crow&rsquo;s Nest. However, besides the annoying framerate drops, these improvements also have a habit of stressing weaker CPUs, so gamers might need to lower the details a bit to try and keep the framerate up.<br /><br />On a more positive note, the voice acting, dialogues and musical score are still excellent, and the hero now has a more incisive repertoire when it comes to turning down a side quest.</p>
</blockquote>
<p><em>Thanks to </em><span class="postbody"><em>Vlad 'Bossman' Rosca for pointing this out.</em><br /></span></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
No framerate issues here, and certainly no blue screen (which I haven't had since I got Vista like 4 years ago). The item precision thing rings hollow as well, I have no problem highlighting the items I want and I even have the crosshair turned off.

The graphical improvements are slight, he's right, but they add a good but to the atmosphere. Mostly it's reflective surfaces and what-not. You don't need to re-buy the game for that anyway, Flames of Vengeance has the same upgrades. You didn't need to re-buy the Witcher either, for that matter, as it was all released in a patch.

ortucis

Prophet
Graphically I saw the improvement in lighting mostly and the best part was that they fixed that annoying stuttering (thanks to frame-rate cap) that gave me a headache in Ego Draconis last time.

Other than that, excellent side-quests, really well done NPC's with some really funny idle banter and disappointing and awkward ending.

flushfire

Augur
sad the animations were untouched though, still can't get over the Slayer jumping and strafing like a gigantic queer doing ballet

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom