Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest VS Final Fantasy Poll

Which Series is better ? and why ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Unwanted

logan

Unwanted
Vote for each game and then vote for which series you think is the best ! Wait Dragon quest 11 to be realesed to vote between Dragon Quest 11 and Final Fantasy 15 !

Mustawd

Never played a dragon quest game. Without derailing this thread, can I get a recommendation on a game to start the series? I heard the early ones were grindfests.

Unwanted

logan

Unwanted
Never played a dragon quest game. Without derailing this thread, can I get a recommendation on a game to start the series? I heard the early ones were grindfests.

I see alot of people recommend DQ4 on Nes,DS or Android,DQ5 on Snes and DQ8 on Ps2 for new players.I playing 3 on Snes and the game is not a grindfest that people say.

DQ8 and DQ5 (PS2 version, it was only released in japan but there's a fan translation) are my two recommendations for first DQ game. DQ5 is more traditional, DQ8 is more open and probably a better game.

Mustawd

Gracias. Let us resume DQ vs FF. FF has always been the mainstream JRPG, but in reality it's kind of an underwhelming series tbh.

On the whole, DQ is just harder than FF, the first games feel like Wizardry lite and there are some restrictions on inventory space etc. Playing DQ, even the best ones, is nothing earth-shattering. The monsters have a ton of personality, though. I'm replaying DQ5 and every monster is a pleasure to look at.

Viata

Arcane
DQ >> FF. Any and all games. I'm guilty as fuck of being a DQ fanboy.
can I get a recommendation on a game to start the series?
4. Then if you liked it, play 5 and 7(PS1, but if you don't want to spend 100 hours per CD, play the 3DS version[which is quite weak compared to ps1 one]). If after that you still want to play DQ, then go play 1 and go in order from that(1 and 2 are sequels, 3 has something really great at the end, but requires you to play DQ1 and 2 to understand that).

Dedup

Augur
I had played all the Final Fantasy games up to 12 previously but have just started playing Dragon Quest games. I've started with NES versions and am currently playing 4. I think I'll end up preferring the Dragon Quest games just because they seem to have stuck closer to the JRPG formula in combat and exploration than the Final Fantasy games.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
DQ 5 is probably the best combination of DQ's vignette-style story-telling and the series take on character class systems. I also recommend playing the PS2 version, however the SNES version is just fine (and was the version of DQ5 I first played).

DQ 3 is the purest form of the series gameplay and a lot of people's favorite, and for that one I recommend playing the SNES fan-translated version. The only DQ games that are grind-heavy are the first two, btw. I don't think there's a bad game in the entire series, tbh. Frankly you could play any DQ game, with the exception of the first games, and have a very good experience as a first-timer...

EDIT: I personally liked DQ 9 (Nintendo DS) title quite a bit, and while it's not as good as previous entries it is definitely very newcomer-friendly. It has some very charming vignettes in it that are very "traditionally DQ".

Okagron

Prophet
Can't honestly say which one i prefer more. There are games i absolutely love on both series.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
BTW, my personal favorite in the series is DQ 7, and I consider it to be the series high watermark in story-telling. Only reason I didn't recommend it is because it's not a great introduction for a first-timer.

Hyperion

Arcane
Dragon Quest is overall better, much more traditional and has always been rather safe in its execution.

DQ7 is a better game than the entirety of the ps1 mainline Final Fantasies, but you can't deny their soundtracks and presentation blow it away. DQ8 tried to compete with Final Fantasy, and was a solid game, but the late game boss fights dragged it down a bit. Presentation was excellent, OST was good, but not quite as memorable as some of the tunes from 6, 9, and 12.

FF 6 and 12 are absolutely wonderful though - when Squaresoft got it right, they struck gold and are more enjoyable plays than any DQ game. Also, I don't know if FFT should have been excluded because it's certainly in there with 6 and 12.

Shinji

Savant
Apples and oranges I believe, but kudos for DQ for trying to remain as true to the franchise as possible after all those years (Final Fantasy lost its track after the original developers left and Square merged with Enix)

With that said, I really enjoyed the job system in FFV, and FFIX was probably the most polished Final Fantasy of that era.
Dragon Quest V is probably my favorite of the series, even though I never managed to beat it.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Apples and oranges I believe, but kudos for DQ for trying to remain as true to the franchise as possible after all those years (Final Fantasy lost its track after the original developers left and Square merged with Enix)

Final Fantasy never really tried to stay true to itself, each episode evolved majorly.

Going in different directions for new iterations is nice for this series; the problem is that they're going in the wrong directions.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Voted for Dragon Quest overall since i highly prefer the classic turnbased system and DQ stayed more true to that style.

FF had some entries that revolutionized story presentation and they had fun combat systems, but most entries lacked challenge and i always thought their plotlines were a little "style over substance". I still dont get what FF6 is trying to say apart from the usual "good beats evil, friendship is important, love is eternal" melodrama bullshit.

I also dont like ATB nearly as much as turnbased combat.

I am currently near the end of my first FF1 playthrough (on PS1, normal difficulty) and i have to say i have had more fun with this one than with any other FF so far, mostly because it actually provides challenging ressource management and much larger and mazelike dungeons. The only real fault this game has is the way too high encounter rate, i would have preferred fewer but more demanding random encounters.

I'm also playing DQ8 on the 3DS and i still dont know if i like the new approach to encounter design. I guess its cool that you see roaming monsters now and you can avoid them, but they have such a narrow aggrorange that you can avoid way too many fights now and going through a dungeon does not really drain your ressources nearly enough. Otherwise, the became quite fun after a superlong introduction phase.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
I am currently near the end of my first FF1 playthrough (on PS1, normal difficulty) and i have to say i have had more fun with this one than with any other FF so far, mostly because it actually provides challenging ressource management and much larger and mazelike dungeons. The only real fault this game has is the way too high encounter rate, i would have preferred fewer but more demanding random encounters.
Play FFIII on NES, the best FF ever.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Play FFIII on NES, the best FF ever.

Yes i've already heard that it is basically like FF1 but bigger and better. I am torn between the NES and the DS version though, Matrix Software seems like they did a good job there. If only the graphics werent so butt-ugly...

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I recommend the DS version. They're the same group who also did the polygonal remake of FF4, and it's one of the very few instances where they retained the original challenge of the NES games.

(Unlike the NDS remakes of DQ games).

EDIT: Also, not many people seem to realize all FF games, including the polygonal remakes for 3 and 4, have been ported to Steam. You don't have to play an emulated NDS (or PSP port) version, you can play a Windows one. I don't think there are any actual differences or extra options though, besides not needing the emulator.

If the Steam ports don't offer resolution options, which is likely, then an emulator with maximum upscaling of the internal rez will probably be the best looking option, which means it would be the PSP ports of the remakes.

Alkarl

Learned
EDIT: Also, not many people seem to realize all FF games, including the polygonal remakes for 3 and 4, have been ported to Steam. You don't have to play an emulated NDS (or PSP port) version, you can play a Windows one. I don't think there are any actual differences or extra options though, besides not needing the emulator.

aweigh, what's your opinion on the sprites in those versions? I preferred the originals (polygonal games aside). Also, as an aside, the Steam version of 3 is missing the Og soundtrack option and controller support in all of them is terrible. You'd think most would map like a regular console controller, but now, I'm talking rear buttons for shit like menus and stuff. I can't remember exactly, but it's weird.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
DQ4 is the only DQ game I've beaten, but it's a lot of fun. Mostly for the section where you play as the merchant.

Your poll is shit btw. Ys is a better long running JRPG series than either of these brain dead popamole series.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
The worst DQ better is better than the best FF game.

Only good FF games are FF1, FF6, and FFT.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom