Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DragonQuest Builders

GarlandExCon

Arcane
Has anyone played this game? These days I don't get as much time as I'd like to play video games, but after finishing Persona 5 I picked up playing Unchartered 4 again (cause it came with my PS4 when I bought it), beat it in a week, and I decided out of the 5 other PS4 games I've bought in the last year to play DragonQuest builders. I'm a long time fan of the Dragon Warrior/Quest series and this is a building simulation game, which I love since I'm a long time fan of games like SimCity.

So I started playing it and I'm having fun. A lot of fun. I'm going crazy building and my only complaint is it seems more geared to a younger audience because it's pretty easy. Then I realize that I've been fucking up. Apparently there's a "light border" where the map is lighter and anything you build outside of that border doesn't count and your villagers won't go there. Fuck.

But oh well, right? It still sucks because that area is actually pretty small and you can barely see the "light, especially once you start building on top of it. The music also changes when you cross, which gets incredibly annoying.

I soon realize that because I built over the line monsters basically appear right in my fucking city because that's the point they generate. If your city is there, they'll still appear there. But most of them I fight off without doing too much damage and I can rebuild in 10 - 15 mins.

Well I get to the last part and it's a gauntlet of fighting monsters after monsters until a big golem shows up. I realize he's going to do some damage to my city so I'm prepared...

But then... but then the motherfucker appears and in an instant, just by appearing, literally wipes out everything I built outside of the light border. My entire city, ruined. God fucking dammit.

So anyway, I've decided I'm done with DQ Builders. Apparently after you beat the boss you start building somewhere else anyway.

Anyone played this game?

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Dragon Quest Builders 2 is coming to Steam ! I played first one on Vita and it was one of my favorite builder games just to fuck around in spare hours.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dragon Quest Builders 2 is coming to Steam ! I played first one on Vita and it was one of my favorite builder games just to fuck around in spare hours.

Is it good when it comes to combat? And coop? I am looking for a better Terraria to play with my kids.

Perkel

Arcane
Is it good when it comes to combat? And coop? I am looking for a better Terraria to play with my kids.

It is more like minecraft with campaign and some actual thought put into why you do something.
Co-op only is via building your own city. Combat is weakest part of game, very simple and not engaging.
Think of it like play old clishe jrpg with building. And that jrpg isn't that long and doesn't have many npcs.

I hope they will expand on room mechanic in sequel which was the best part of DQB1.

I haven't played 2 yet. Honestly I'm afraid to. DQB 1 was addicting as shit

That is the weird part about DQB. It is super simple game, with just slightly better buidling than in minecraft and yet it is addicting. I think it has a lot to do with its charm and exploration. On paper i wouldn't like it but somehow i like it.

Perkel

Arcane
Ok folks, bought and finished DQB2. 75Hours main campaign and i basically rushed last 2 inslands. Once you finish main campaign you can build anywhere and you get buildertopia which is randomly generated island of your choosing where you can build new towns etc.

Pros:
- Bigger Better and Awesome
- Main campaign is fun
- characters are still fun and charming as in DQB1
- shitload of things to craft compared to DQB1
- 4k blocks instead of like 500 like in DQB
- city mechanics are much improved and Buildertopia is much better implementation of Terraincognita (randomly generated land to build you city on)
- Way more "stuff" to do, medals to collects, shitload of sidequests, plenty of challenges, tools to unlock (even in end game)
- Around 10 times as big as DQB1 in therms of story, quests etc. DQB1 wasn't short game but it was mostly very annoying padding most of the time. This time story is more focused and what you do has more to do with main gameplay aka building
- NPCs can now build for themselves stuff ! This is super helpful when some megaconstruction is created that would waste 10s of hours just for you to finish it alone.
- Randomly generated islands with npcs,monsters, materials is great way to get items you need instead of doing it via "battle" land with monsters in DQB1. This time you can pick and choose island type and know supposed stuff that you can find there.
- combat is improved a bit

Cons:
- Story can get annoying at times. Especially how some cutscenes are handled. Like case of big baddie saying something and then for literally whole 60 second you stare at message with nothing happening, multiple times in a row without ability to skip.
- no cutscene skip
- chest management still is weird like in DQB1. People can sometimes put ingots in kitchen instead of smith etc.
- combat still sucks but at least it is berable now.
- "infinite resources" - i still hit myself in head for exploring first island which gave me infinite wood and leaves. Once you unlock it there is no way to switch it off. Some might call it a pro, but that is not for me pro. I never liked "creative" part of building games.

Perkel

Arcane
Spent some time with this game. I really wish developer would expand limits. 100 room limit is pretty much bullshit when just one house can get you 5-6 rooms if you do house properly let alone something like hotel.

Bed news is that heads of DQB1-2 quit capcom to found their own studio which pretty much means no DQB3...

unknown.png

GarlandExCon

Arcane
Has anyone played this game? These days I don't get as much time as I'd like to play video games, but after finishing Persona 5 I picked up playing Unchartered 4 again (cause it came with my PS4 when I bought it), beat it in a week, and I decided out of the 5 other PS4 games I've bought in the last year to play DragonQuest builders. I'm a long time fan of the Dragon Warrior/Quest series and this is a building simulation game, which I love since I'm a long time fan of games like SimCity.

So I started playing it and I'm having fun. A lot of fun. I'm going crazy building and my only complaint is it seems more geared to a younger audience because it's pretty easy. Then I realize that I've been fucking up. Apparently there's a "light border" where the map is lighter and anything you build outside of that border doesn't count and your villagers won't go there. Fuck.

But oh well, right? It still sucks because that area is actually pretty small and you can barely see the "light, especially once you start building on top of it. The music also changes when you cross, which gets incredibly annoying.

I soon realize that because I built over the line monsters basically appear right in my fucking city because that's the point they generate. If your city is there, they'll still appear there. But most of them I fight off without doing too much damage and I can rebuild in 10 - 15 mins.

Well I get to the last part and it's a gauntlet of fighting monsters after monsters until a big golem shows up. I realize he's going to do some damage to my city so I'm prepared...

But then... but then the motherfucker appears and in an instant, just by appearing, literally wipes out everything I built outside of the light border. My entire city, ruined. God fucking dammit.

So anyway, I've decided I'm done with DQ Builders. Apparently after you beat the boss you start building somewhere else anyway.

Anyone played this game?

So the other day I'm bored and my girlfriend is playing that new Diablo mobile game (Diablo III maybe?) so I decided to look for a game for me to play on my phone. Now, I'm not that into mobile games. I am a console guy first and a computer gamer second. If I play mobile it's usually time wasting puzzle games and the like for times I'm waiting at the dentist or something.

But I wanted a for real game and months ago I discovered almost all the DragonQuest games are now available in app form. They're not free, but also they're full games with no ads or BS. Originally I was gonna get Dragon Quest VIII, which is my favorite all time in the series. I was worried about the controls but figured it would be fine. But then low and behold what do I see!? DragonQuest Builders! They've ported it to mobile! Whaaat.

Apparently this just happened recently and my timing was perfect. I forgot all about my control concerns (mistake) and immediately downloaded it, deciding it was time to get back into it having learned from last time. I'd actually been thinking about it lately ironically and had a desire to play it. I even had mentioned it to someone recently.

So I download it and it's literally the exact game ported to mobile. Like identical. The only difference is...the controls...

Now, to be fair, they're by no means unusable or make the game unplayable, but boy oh boy can they be frustrating. I can't believe I was worried about controls before even considering how bad it would suck in a BUILDING game especially one that is more advance like DQB and not designed for mobile originally. They did integrate some things you can only do with a phone or tablet into the game, like the ability to place blocks and objects by simply pressing the screen. That helps A LOT, but when it comes to tight rope walking on top of your building when building up it's so hard not to fall off the edge.

Overall though I'm having a blast playing it again and this time am prepared to go the distance having learned what not to do

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom