Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragons Crown (new game in dev from Odinsphere studio)

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Good memories, the doujins were p. glorious,

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I tried to play alone or with just one other adventurer but npc seems to join randomly in quest so either way by end of it you will be doing 4 player smash.
You can disable that and play solo if you want. Forget where the setting is exactly, but it's there.

Perkel

Arcane
I think you description is correct.

Yeah playing max 2 people only now. With 4 people you can't figure out what is happening on screen especially with mages.

edit:

This is some high level necromancy right here.

Well it is only thread search showed me.

pippin

I wish this game had a pc port. Might as well buy a second hand Vita and try some of the consolefag stuff I've been missing.
The art looks like that because iirc Vanillaware asked Kamitani to do a cartoonish style, since banal shit boring medieval characters wouldn't look special enough for the general market.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
My only gripe so far is that you can't fucking see sometimes what is happening on screen.

With 4 people you can't figure out what is happening on screen especially with mages.

505.gif

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The art looks like that because iirc Vanillaware asked Kamitani to do a cartoonish style, since banal shit boring medieval characters wouldn't look special enough for the general market.
Is the style of Dragon's Crown substantially different from Kamitani's other work?

dragons-crown-screenshots-18.jpg

Compare to Muramasa: The Demon Blade
muramasa-the-demon-blade-ps-vita-12.jpg

or to Odin Sphere
odinsphere-30.jpg

This is some high level necromancy right here.

Well it is only thread search showed me.
There's a Dragon's Crown thread in the jRPG forum, which seems to be the repository of almost anything Japanese rather than just RPGs.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
yes style is different.

Dragon's crowd has this "legendary treatement: where each and every character look like a god walking among men.
Odin Sphere has only 2 of such characters.

Muramasa is something still i have to play so idk.

Still their games on Vita are pieces of fucking good art. Odin Sphere just look amazing. Dragon's Crown too.

Perkel

Arcane
Also it plays like D&D session with GM.
There is narrator that plays role of GM and gives you objectives, sometimes giving you hints etc.

I dont know why but game had this Temple of Elemental Evil atmosphere. Probably because of music.

Perkel

Arcane
Lvl 22 warrior. So far i like it. A bit repetition but overall it is interesting. Hope there will be more than those 5-6 maps.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
There are more than 5-6 maps; there are 9 maps (not counting the final boss stage) each with two divergent routes midway through and a different boss at the end of that route. And you'll likely traverse each of those 9 stages multiple times to complete sidequests or just to level up and gain better equipment. It's perplexing that Vanillaware decided to extend the length of a playthrough in this repetitive manner, since they created six player-characters each of which plays differently from the others. It would have made far more sense to simply encourage the player to complete a shorter, less repetitive game multiple times with a different character each time.

Vanillaware's other games have similar issues. In Muramasa, for example, although there are two player-characters, they play nearly identical to each other, and over the course of a playthrough with one character you traverse the same maps as the other character, merely in a different order, and fight the same lesser enemies, although the boss fights are different.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You can actually skip the quests and just claim the skillpoints. You miss out on the xp/gold rewards but those become trivial after a certain point. Dragon's Crown also has a couple of postgame dungeons with randomized content, so you get a bit more variety that way as well. Still made of the same sort of rooms and stuff obviously, but keeps it from being 'that level with the zombies and skeletons' and so forth.

Ebonsword

Arcane
It's perplexing that Vanillaware decided to extend the length of a playthrough in this repetitive manner, since they created six player-characters each of which plays differently from the others. It would have made far more sense to simply encourage the player to complete a shorter, less repetitive game multiple times with a different character each time.

Agreed. I really loved the gameplay, but, damn, did doing the same maps over and over and over and over and over and over and OVER get boring.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why the fuck haven't they ported this to PC yet?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom