Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I assume you're playing around in the well?

Capcom decided to do a straight reduction system, ie if you have 500 attack and the enemy has 300 defence, the end result is 200 damage, give or take some for the slash/whatever resistance.
If you find you're doing basically no damage, you're not getting through their armour.

I'd suggest going to the encampment and getting Reynard to upgrade your daggers to 3 stars, it should put you in a much better position to take them on.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I've just started playing this after picking it up for the Christmas sale. Got my ass kicked in the well with a level 7 strider and two starting pawns. There just seems no end to those lizards. I'm either really bad at this type of game or merely underleveled. It's been fun so far.

smashing_axe if anyone's still playing.
First, you should have recruited a third pawn (i.e. a second support pawn) in the Encampment before leaving it anyway. You can still do that easily as there's a riftstone in Cassardis just by the entrance to the well. Second, consider what tactics you're using against the Saurians
i.e. cut off their tails
. Third, consider your party composition in terms of vocations (also, you'll want to occasionally replace your support pawns for new ones at your current level; IIRC, the first support pawn you're given, Rook, is level 4). Fourth, consider purchasing better weapons and upgrading them.

Savour the well experience because it's one of the few times the game feels properly difficult. Don't get me wrong, I love this game, but it becomes too easy too quickly.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Director of DD is teasing a new game:

Could be a new Devil May Cry, Rival Schools 3, or a completely new game. (Or, Dragon's Dogma 2 :o)

Delterius

Arcane
He's new years drunk and this is tweet is No Joke.

:negative: This is the seventh time we could hope for a Dragon's Dogma. After the Japan only MMO, the mobile card game and the mobile dating game we don't have the right to be hopeful. Odds are it will be Rival Schools 3.

Hyperion

Arcane
Or worse, a sequel to that DMC abomination.

800px-Tameem_Antoniades.jpg

With this cocksucker directing it again. Fucking Star Trek extra with a man bun.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
how would the combat compare to monterhunter?

It's definitely heavily influenced by it, as each weapon type plays quite differently, as they would in MH.
There's also a whole slew of other MH influences such as the storage and combination system.

it's much more accurate to compare it to MH as well as opposed to something like Dark Souls.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Ranger here.
Did Griffin Bane (with aftermatch in Bluemoon Tower) but still got no feathers from it (not ever one so Black Cat is out of question) for 3rd upgrade so I wanted to grind them.
Though dragons were post-game things but to my nasty surprise - there is one that spawn few steps away from camp placed south-east from Shadow fort (the one from Wyrm hunt quest pack). Though it was wyvern looking like these from Twitcher series but once they grabbed my pawn and talking - shit got real.
Started combat in the morning, ended next morning. Feels like their wings hitbox is bigger than wings themselves and stop most of my arrows.
And got dragonforget random pants that I forgot to change for better. Bleh.
I think I can handle final boss but the need to deal with quests from that pseudodragonbane Duke slow things down.:roll:

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
I've only encountered a drake once so far, and that was little more than a brief hello after saving the game first. Pawns dying all over the place and finally wrecked before even getting 1 dot down, so I guess I'll come back for it a bit later. I also had a brief foray into the Bitterwhatsit place, but I think I'll need to leave that until later too. On the other hand, I'm annihilating manticores pretty reliably now, and I assume griffons would go down pretty quick too, if I ever encounter another one. They must be hiding.

Just finished getting warrior to max rank after spending most of the initial game as fighter. I'm really missing Burst Strike when it comes to speedy buggers like wolves, but the sheer FUCK YOU power of a charged up swing from a fiery warhammer is great fun. It's like using Dragon Tooth all over again. Whomp. I guess I should give Arc of Deliverance a go; the charge up time was rather off-putting, but it sounds like it's worth it.

My main pawn is a mage so I can have a (sort of) reliable healer without gambling with other pawns, but it's been tricky to find a skill set and disposition that doesn't result in them doing dumb shit. I ended up getting rid of the blindness sphere thing after she'd run into enemy groups to cast it ("I'm being usefu- urk!") and just add some more offensive spells instead. 2 different elemental attacks, the dark bindy thing, the holy weapon buff, the debuff removing spell, and healing seems to work okay with a utilitarian/medicant. She's stopped running into groups so much, and doesn't constantly start a spell then cancel it to cast something else ad nauseam. I did have medicant as primary, but she just used healing near-constantly and didn't otherwise do much of use. Now with medicant as a secondary she could do with using healing a bit more. Life is pain.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Should probably switch out my ranger pawn for something else till such time I get hands on anti-ghost gear. Can't wait to toss the pawn into the sea forever.
Also I accidentally waifu'd Selene or whatever her name. Fuck.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Arc sure is powerful. But it's also slow. May not be everyone's cup of tea. I personally didn't use it much. Found in that time it took me to charge it, I could do a lot of other stuff. And it's really a shame to loose the charge, miss it or fire it on a half-dead enemy, which happens all too often.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Arc sure is powerful. But it's also slow. May not be everyone's cup of tea. I personally didn't use it much. Found in that time it took me to charge it, I could do a lot of other stuff. And it's really a shame to loose the charge, miss it or fire it on a half-dead enemy, which happens all too often.
Yeah, then I found I could move while it was loaded.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Very slowly though. Some enemies are quite mobile. And you can get ragdolled while holding the charge... Enemies I really wanted to use it on rarely gave me the chance. And a lot of stuff just dies very fast, before you get the chance to use it.
I acknowledge it might be great for some, but it just didn't cut it for me.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Why would you?
Are you one of those people that want to start actually playing the game at level 200?
It's more fun to just progress as you go...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom