Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Drakensang Series

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I bought both these games this week for <$5 because they looked like they have potential. Are they any good?

I started playing the original a bit and so far it seems that the combat and most of the gameplay systems are fairly solid, but the actual story and character interactions seem a bit iffy. I thought I'd play an evil rogue, but apparently the game is very railroaded and no matter what you do you end up being the good guy. I just hit the big city in the first game so I'm not very far in. Does it get any better later in the game? I was hoping for something with a bit of choice and consequence but it seems like all your quests play out the same with no option for alternative ways of tackling them.

Anyone play these recently who can comment?

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The combat is pretty atrocious once you start having squishies in your party which you can't protect thanks to lack of collission detection.
Apart from some hubs, you can't revisit areas once you finished your objective there. I hate stuff like this.
You are right about the railroading. The story is nothing to get overly excited about, however, they did an amazing job of getting the The Dark Eye atmosphere right. Also, Chargen is pretty good, like the original.
It is like a poor man's neverwinter night.

People say the successor is superior, haven't played it tho.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The combat is pretty atrocious once you start having squishies in your party which you can't protect thanks to lack of collission detection.
Apart from some hubs, you can't revisit areas once you finished your objective there. I hate stuff like this.
You are right about the railroading. The story is nothing to get overly excited about, however, they did an amazing job of getting the The Dark Eye atmosphere right. Also, Chargen is pretty good, like the original.
It is like a poor man's neverwinter night.

People say the successor is superior, haven't played it tho.
Successor is superior, alright, as in stinking a bit less.

Avoid.

V_K

Arcane
I started playing the original a bit and so far it seems that the combat and most of the gameplay systems are fairly solid
The thing to remember about Drakensangs is that they are essentially blobbers combat-wise - positioning doesn't matter shit, and kiting doesn't work most of the times as well.
Also, IIRC most non-combat non-crafting skills have very limited use in the first game. The second one is better in that regards, as it often offers alternative non-combat solutions to quests - but it does so in such an explicit way, that it takes most of the fun out of it (as in, your companions outright tell you that you have options A, B and C here).
Personally, I rate them both above NWN2/DAO, mostly because they are less offensive (better camera controls, less trash mobs etc), but they are not anywhere near as good as other TDE games, like RoA or the first Blackguards.

Gord

Arcane
The games are good if you like the setting (classical RoA is more fairy tale medieval than grimdark high fantasy - eventually RoA had its fair share of grimdark as well, but Drakensang fits more into the former).
That includes not expecting any real evil options, RoA is originally about playing the classical good hero archetypes.
The setting also is relatively low-magic, so don't expect +3 magic weapons left and right (exception being e.g. the magic armor from the first game).

First game in particular has several sections that can be quite boring, especially if you find the problems with the combat system too problematic.

Second game is overall better and quite fun for the most part, but has a few different issues, imo.
While story and combat set pieces are done better, you get less NPCs to choose from, so depending on your main char, you might find yourself somewhat limited in your options.
They apparently had also intended to offer multiple paths (rogue or fighter) to some of the missions, but I think it's only ever brought up once or twice, making it look like they had to cut some content before release.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Well, that's that done, thanks for the help many peoples of teh internets. I think my main problem 1st time on the final battle was the fact that it had already been going on for an hour before the end-boss even made his play, and I was itching to go do something else by a deadline so tried to rush it. But really, having to spend an hour and a half on one battle? That's a debate between hardcore versus ridiculous if ever I heard one.

So onto my review.

I wont make a new thread for this as I'm no Dark Eye expert and have a very low opinion of my opinion matching public taste but I'm sure a lot of the stuff I say will be useful to people who know how to separate useful from irrelevant information and take what they need from such as I'm about to write.

Drakensang: The River of Time (a Dark Eye cRPG) (2010 EU 2011 US)

This was my first experience with the Dark Eye ruleset and I went into the game deliberately blind to knowledge of the ruleset in order to increase my enjoyment of the exploration of the new. I had heard it was a presentable cRPG from the modern era and a Youtube video of the first tutorial fight confirmed to me it was a game which adhered to a lot of my personal expectations of what a modern cRPG should be like. The following is a list of things that stood out to me from this perspective as I played through the game:

The first thing that really stood out in a big way is how awful the camera is. It's appalling. You can be standing out in the open somewhere and rotating the camera will produce a Helter-Skelter effect as the camera dives to the floor and back up again with very little obvious logic. If you wander into a corner you can expect the camera to be on top of your head with every clickable area of the screen being a click on your character instead of a move order. When in battle I often spent more time trying to find and stick with and return to the best camera angle possible than I did executing my orders to the troops. The camera view zooms to whichever party member you select, so, with many of the game's long, long, battles I found myself needing a break more from the epilepsy inducing camera flashing than I did from the minutia of the mechanics. 3/10

When it comes to free roaming the game is pure genius. The game will never force you to proceed without asking you in triplicate if you are sure you want to proceed and will also reassure you in triplicate that you can always come back to that area whenever you want. You are very rarely trapped in anywhere and if you forget to buy something or find you need to craft something half-way through a dungeon you can just go back to the area you require whenever you want. It's basically all one big open world, which is very nice. However, the final stage of the game involves a gigantic lock-in, so I can't give the game 100% here - why do even games which obsess about no lock-ins still insist on shoving them in at the end? Really annoying, just let me find a secret passage out or something! 9/10

Itemisation and loot is piss-poor. There are literally thousands of loot boxes to loot, all with their own descriptions indicating what level of loot interest will be in each sub-category of loot box. You could drive yourself mad making sure you crack open every box, they're literally everywhere, from behind random trees in the furthest part of a forest to sitting at the bottom of a gigantic pile of fooled-you non-interactive boxes. What do they all contain? 95% crafting materials. My character went the entire game without looting one single weapon upgrade, as did Cano, and the other two members of the party found one single upgrade each. Clothing you pretty much just buy from vendors when you've sold enough crafting materials or pick-pocketed enough NPCs. The game doesn't have a loot system, it has a crafting system. I'm not a crafter, I must be the only person left in the world who has never played Minecraft and never wanted to. The 5% of cool loot is nice when it lands though. 4/10

Questing variety is excellent and always fitting/interesting. When you first arrive in the opening city it can appear a bit intimidating, with every Tom, Dick and Harry giving you this and that to do but once you're out and about it settles down into more satisfying adventuring. While many of the bigger quests involve dungeon crawling to an end-boss there are also lots of other quests, many of which revolve around talking to people, having drinking competitions, stirring up a revolt, and even counting sheep (well deer to be precise), some of which even have choices as to how to proceed. Very impressed in this department. 10/10

Monster encounters and variety are quite a mixed bag. The bulk of the game is the basic Humans/Elves/Dwarves/Animals and very, very, very rarely do you encounter enemy mages. There is a smattering of interesting foes but only a smattering and they also tend to come in quantity rather than quality (as in large packs). The only really strange beasts are the various end-bosses, from the first, a Junk Golem, through Demons, Dragons and all kinds of interesting types and what-nots. It does have one really hideous dungeon where you have level after level of repeated set and monster, think the Remorhaz grind-walk in the Icewind Dale expansion Heart of Winter and then repeat that level 5 times and you know what I mean, it had me yelling "what were they thinking!" almost throughout. Generally though, most combat encounters are interesting and thought-required, even the crappy ones. 7/10

The game also has puzzels. There aren't many but they are there and often in crucial places where you'll be desperate to work them out. I found them all quite easy, but not dumbfuck easy and a non-puzzle person might stumble on some. Yes... there's a SLIDEY PUZZLE!!! (lol, in-joke for all slidey-puzzle haters). You could even class some of the people-quests as puzzles in their own right. 7/10

The general ambiance of the game as a whole is one of neither exuberance nor hatred. The opening town feels over-stuffed where-as the Elven Forest feels bare and empty bar one cool dungeon, the Dwarven mines area is a bit of both with an intensely busy centre surrounded by empty pointlessness with two big dungeons. The Dragon's Lair is a long walk to a dragon and literally nothing else. The Temple is just one big appalling, repetitive dungeon. The final section is just really weird as it starts with a dungeon which you can choose to either fight through or peaceably walk through followed by lots of end-boss stalling tactics before finally doing the end-battle thing. So the game is constantly flipping you from too much to too little to just right, never allowing you to make a definite decision about what the game feels like as a whole. Disjointed, but not necessarily badly. 6/10

A lot of people I since read about seem to think the english version has badly acted voice actors and it's not a patch on the original german. I never had a problem with any of the voice acting aside from the odd very small sore thumb and generally found it all fully satisfactory. I didn't dislike any of my forced companions (it's a single player game with forced companions up to a total team of 4) and I thought them and most of the NPCs sounded great. 10/10

The look and graphics of the game were fine for me. They're probably not that much advanced from the original Neverwinter Nights (2002) and there's not much to write home about with quite a lot of repeated scenery, but they present their world concisely and coherently and nothing sticks out as particularly bad. It's all exactly as you'd expect a NWN clone to look. I even prefer this look to how they made NWN2 (2006) look, everything being a bit smaller and less in-you-face but still obviously pretty. If you like just standing next to a waterfall watching deer bounce through the flora for 5 minutes in your RPGs then this game is up to the aesthetic challenge. 8/10

I had no noticeable bugs or technical issues with this game from start to finish. 10/10

So, my big ten categories added up and divided by ten equals a total score for the game of... drumroll please...

7.4/10

(Metacritic critics 7.5, users 8.6)

Unwanted

Endlösung

Unwanted
Stealing and early game economy in the first game are fun. Combat gets trashy fast. Its not worse than PoE.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I only ever played the first, but didn't finish it. I think I stopped pretty early after I was assigned a stupid collectathon in the swap. I don't mind the more light-hearted fairy tale approach, but here it was somehow pretty bland.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I too found the first one incredibly boring. I finished it tho for some reason I cannot remember, but it was tedious. Especially the endgame was absolutely horrendous, the game throws hordes and hordes of trash mobs at you before you finally reach the boss - and this is just bad game design, especially considering the combat is kinda meh.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I had to play Blackguards to get a better handle on Drakensang's combat. Make of that what you will.
Also-
MountebankQueenSalina.jpg

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Hmm, thanks for everyone who posted. I'll give the second a try and see how far I get.

imweasel

It is alright. A decent romp for 5 bucks. It is quite similar to Neverwinter Nights, just with the Dark Eye ruleset. And certainly a lot more fun than Pillows of Eternity, as has been mentioned.

skyst

Augur
Fuck the haters.

The first game starts out slow but becomes okayish.

I really enjoyed the second game, however the expansion should be avoided at all costs.

Both play kind of like a poor man's Dragon Age: Origins. Some of the characters are alright, too. Definitely worth it for $5 if you have more time than money.

SniperHF

Arcane
I tried to play The River of Time back during the height of awfulness that was the 2010-2012 area but it was just too pitifully boring. Looked like it had some interesting underlying systems (unfamiliar with TDE at the time) and locations but the combat was just :retarded:.

Drowed

Arcane
It's Neverwinter lite alright. As Snorkack said, the lack of collision means that every mob will run to your mages/squishies all the time. Which in turn makes the AI quite predictable, and easy to abuse. Both the first and the second are "playable", they're just kinda mediocre. I finished both, but I honestly have vague memories of them, I don't remember any specific character or quest, or anything else, really. If you have nothing else to play or replay, and it was cheap when you bought it, then go for it.

Last edited:

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Contrary to popular opinion I liked the first one but got bored very quickly with the second, which was more of the same. Also, it does Dwarves right and the Dwarf city rendered DA:O's version distinctly unimpressive. Dwarves with American accents? Something not right, there...

Unwanted

Endlösung

Unwanted
Its not worse than PoE.

I recall installing it and dropping moments later.

Why? I doesnt feel like a cheap DnD copy and it has rat fights that are tougher than what I've seen Pillars do... Cant bottleneck and engagne them. Gotta get cleverer.

It also has faaar less maps (none) that are stuffed to the brim with identic copy pasted groups of (Skaen Priest, Temple Guard, Skirmisher, Skirmisher, Archer) or Troll Slimes combos or identic Xaur...Kobold squads. I thought people overreact about PoE encounters, but my God its utter fucking garbage.

Drakensang also got better loot...

pippin

Drakensang still has some semblance of the system it came from. I felt the stats were way more relevant than anything in NWN1 and most of 2. At least 2 cared a bit for skills in and out of combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom