Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Dreamfall Chapters - Console Immersion Action Decline Kickstarter [Spoilers]

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
In before shitty fucking console game with fucking horrible controls. :roll: Yeah, I'm really excited.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Red Thread Games has recievied 175000$ from the Norwegian Film Institute to continue the TLJ series in the form of chapters like they planned, they're supposed to pick up where Dreamfall ended

9029.jpg

Attention: Grunker

Keshik

Arcane
Hm, reminds me I haven't played Dreamfall (keep hearing that it sucks, to be honest). I guess this is kinda good news though.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I guess this is kinda good news though.

No it is fucking terrible news.

Take a GREAT looking, classic hand drawn 2D aventure game (that you will either HATE or love). Then they do do a new installment of it in shitty fucking console 3D IMMERSION AWESOME BUTTAN! terrible fucking controls and interface. And now they are going to do this a 3rd time.

No. Just let the fucking raped corpse stay dead. Show some respect for the fucking dead Funcom.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Red Thread Games has recievied 175000$ from the Norwegian Film Institute to continue the TLJ series in the form of chapters like they planned, they're supposed to pick up where Dreamfall ended

9029.jpg

Attention: Grunker

HOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLSHIY

HOLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

:bounce::bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

okay so it might be complete popamole and terrible crap and okay it probably will

BUT HOLYYYYYYYY HSITTTTTITTIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
I hate to agree with Gaysun, but he is right. Dreamfall was decline of decline and I'm pretty sure Tomquist is not going back to the style of the original game, but rather he will continue with xbawks "lite" adventure design of Dreamfall.

Deleted member 7219

I liked Dreamfall. Some parts of the game were a bit twee and girly for me, but overall it was a story well told and it definitely merits a sequel.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
If they dump Zoe, make it all about April and make her less emofaggoty than in Dreamfall, I'll give it a chance.

As games, both TLF and DF were terrible. The story was pretty decent for the most part, until DF went full retard in the second half. DF did end on the mother of all cliffhangers though, so I'd pirate play it just to get some resolution. Just as I went to see Star Wars episode 3 after the trainwrecks of 1 and 2.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I wish I had racofer's photoshop skill so I could counter your mocking with something awesome. All I'm left with is this weak comeback :(

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
You could always accuse me and Jaesun of brofist harvesting. Or dig up that amazing photoshop hiver made of my avatar in a dirty toilet bowl. That one always cracks me up.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Why don't you simply take it to the streets of Copenhagen, mano-a-mano, no popamole, no regenerating health?

Cabazone

Educated
I don't feel like dreamfall was such a failure. The Longuest Journey was already a really badly designed game, and the same go for Dreamfall. What save them both is Tørnquist solid writing skill.

I'm under the impression that people overate TLJ because there is a bizarre lack of critical sense among PCist when it come to classic adventure games (especially if they aren't too hard) and underestimate Dreamfall because it was unplayable without a pad (which is a legit complain, thought).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I love TLJ so much, I can't help but think "what if"? What if it's good guys?

This also fulfills one of my 2 remaining kickstarter requests. Just waiting for Warren Spectre to launch his stealth based action RPG.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Monkeys will suddenly come flying out of my ass before this will ever "possibly be a good game".

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I guess I'm glad I never got far in the first game and played it after the second one as it let me actually enjoy the second one. Sure the story went to crap after a while in the game and the ending was one big wtf, but just checking out the pretty fantasy worlds they were living in was kinda awesome.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
RPS has an interview up.

Some important bits:
RPS: When you say ‘independently funding’, I recall that we spoke a while ago and you did mention that the Kickstarter explosion had got your attention? Is crowdfunding something you’re still considering?
Tørnquist: Yes it is. We will be doing a Kickstarter. Not right now, but we will be doing it in the near future, simply because although we received a grant from the Norwegian Film Institute, which was announced today, that is only for the preproduction phase. That allows us to get started on a prototype but in order to fully develop Dreamfall Chapters we’re going to need more money and we will be going to Kickstarter.
RPS: TSW feels like an experimentation in storytelling and MMO design, whereas an adventure game doesn’t necessarily have that same scope to experiment with the way a story is told. Is it just a way of telling a good story?
Tørnquist: Yeah, maybe. But having said that, Dreamfall Chapters will do some new and interesting things on the story side as well. We’re toying with some hopefully interesting ideas. It’s going to be an adventure game, it’s a going to be all about the story – there won’t be any twitch combat or button mashing or anything like that.
RPS: My feeling would be that TLJ didn’t try to introduce new mechanics to adventuring. It was conversation and puzzles.
Tørnquist: I’ve learned a lot in my twenty years making games. TLJ was one of my first games, and it did lean a lot on slightly obscure adventure point and click mechanics at that point. But at least it had a lot of it.
It was in some ways a very mechanical game. It had a lot of adventure mechanics. Dreamfall went away from that quite a bit, and that’s both good and bad. Chapters will hopefully unite the two, have enough of a challenge and enough interesting puzzles and mechanics to keep players engaged, but making sure that the story keeps moving, with momentum and drama.
RPS: I think a lot of people are going to be happy that you just said ‘Dreamfall will never be a multiplayer game’. You mentioned handheld devices earlier – will Chapters be taking the leap?
Tørnquist: Right now we’re only saying the game will be on PC and Mac. Thjat’s our primary focus and that’s where our core audience is. We’re looking at other options but it’s PC and Mac right now.

Also,
Tørnquist: ...Games that have soul.
soul is a buzzword now :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom