Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Dreamfall Chapters - Console Immersion Action Decline Kickstarter [Spoilers]

Keshik

Arcane
Well at least this will come to an end. Looking forward to see what kind of mess the conclusion will be. And if I can get Reza killed.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
A lot of passive aggressive Tornquist posts in Steam forum. Seems he's completely done with Longest Journey universe.

Septaryeth

Augur
A lot of passive aggressive Tornquist posts in Steam forum. Seems he's completely done with Longest Journey universe.

Didn't he said it's a planned trilogy or something? With Zoe's story split into two?
In addition to the clusterfuck of new questions Chapters raised, which I doubt they can answer within 1 chapter, I thought they made it pretty obvious that the next game will have the girl with the pink hair as its protagonist.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Man, this game has been a failure. It pains me to say, but I think Tornqvist has lost it. Up until this point I've bought every game written by Ragnar and considered him one of the best writers in the biz.

TLJ is one of my favorite adventures of all time.

Yes, i felt pretty much the same.

I was cringing many times while playing Chapters, but overall it was still enjoyable.

And then this happened:

fcdo3pzmawukijnpakhr.jpg

Fuck you, Tornqvist. What the fuck are doing? I am not even sure i want to continue playing.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't see any of those posts passive aggressive. They seem very calm, despite people criticising him a lot.

And then this happened:

fcdo3pzmawukijnpakhr.jpg

Fuck you, Tornqvist. What the fuck are doing? I am not even sure i want to continue playing.
I don't get it, what is so terrible here?

Hamster

Arcane
Patron

It's a pathethic, insulting, obnoxious, tasteless, immersion breaking, thematicaly out of place and unnesessary attempt to include a modern "serious" political topic into a fantasy setting. It was bad enough when inhabitants of fantasy wolrds were constantly using modern slang, it was barely tolerable when it turned out that they have elections in Arcadia with analogues of modern political forces, but with this shit author crossed the line.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

It's a pathethic, insulting, obnoxious, tasteless, immersion breaking, thematicaly out of place and unnesessary attempt to include a modern "serious" political topic into a fantasy setting. It was bad enough when inhabitants of fantasy wolrds were constantly using modern slang, it was barely tolerable when it turned out that they have elections in Arcadia with analogues of modern political forces, but with this shit author crossed the line.
Wait, is that supposed to be fantasy Auschwitz?

Hamster

Arcane
Patron

Wait, is that supposed to be fantasy Auschwitz?

Yes. It's a 20th century death camp in a medieval fantasy world.

Deleted member 7219

I've finished it.

I would strongly urge anyone who has not bought this game to never buy it, ever. They just don't deserve your money. The people behind this should either leave the industry, or work on something completely different.

I like adventure games, including the modern ones with minimal gameplay like The Walking Dead and other games from Telltale. So the lack of gameplay in this wasn't what irked me.

It was the nonsensical story, annoying characters and interminable dialogue that did.

I backed the game on Kickstarter because the Kickstarter looked interesting (and I got some enjoyment out of Dreamfall), but it was only my weird need to finish everything I buy that got me playing until the end. I did hope it would get better, but it just got worse. Book 5 was the worst out of all of them. Half way through, when I was between worlds with Zoe, I decided I definitely didn't care any more and just kind of zoned out of the rest of the dialogue. By the end I had no idea what was going on, what the character's motivations were, and why I had wasted 24 hours playing this game.

For anyone who actually still cares about The Longest Journey universe: Zoe's story ends with Dreamfall Chapters. But April Ryan has more to do. And Saga.

Last edited by a moderator:

Notorious

Augur
So instead of interesting adventures in a wondrous world with April Ryan and her sidekick we got boring Zoe - even more boring gay guy and an idiotic boring plot full of characters which I don't care about. It really got to me when they first showed April again I wanted to go on her adventure instead of sitting through another set of gibberish cutscenes full of their idea of dialouges. The amount they repeat the same point over and over again is mind boggling. It got no gameplay, I actually prefer Telltale there because they at least don't give you long drawn out fetch quests.

Also they clearly had no money. Most assets were reused and the cutscenes sometimes only took a few seconds, it felt like a clipt show at certain points. Avoid at all costs, only glad I bought it at 2/3 off.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i quite like the ending, but gameplay wise, it was dissapointing. ep 1 has some decent puzzles to come with it, but with each episodes they seem to dumb down the puzzles and the C&C

it actually managed to wrap up most of the plot point, and leave things open a little. i was decently satisfied with it, but as a whole game, it doesnt touch the original TLJ which i still think to this days, the peak of point and click adventure especially in term of worldbuilding and writing

Deleted member 7219

I would assume this is not another sleeper hit like Life is Strange but rather a political statement of an angry Norwegian SJW?

I didn't like Life is Strange much but at least that game never got boring, and the story was kind of interesting even if the dialogue was enraging at times.

Deleted member 7219

i'm not gonna play this in near future, but i'm curious. pls spoil the ending for me

Brian Westhouse was in some weird Buddhist temple somewhere and went through a portal. On the other side, he was in the dream realm (can't remember the proper name) and got infected by the Undreaming. But weirdly he actually took over the Undreaming and used its power to try to bring about an end to all magical creatures with the help of an Azadi superweapon.

At the same time, Zoe's mum tries to 'remake the world' with some machine in a WatiCorp facility. Her actual motives are never explained (same with Brian Westhouse). You know why the Azadi want to kill all magicals (they're like the Nazis), but you never really find out why Brian Westhouse or Zoe's mum are psychopaths.

Anyway, Zoe uses her magic powers to take down her mum and then she and her dad go back to Casablanca. Turns out she kinda dreamed the whole Protopol thing, but because her dreams can become reality, it was all real, even though she was in a coma the whole time. She also helps Kian and Kian's rebel friends take down Brian Westhouse and the Azadi.

During the ending sequences you find out April Ryan is actually still alive, kinda. She's in the dreamworld (again, can't remember what it's called). Also, Saga is opening portals left right and centre and she is actually the reason why Kian doesn't get killed at the end. She helps Kian take down the Azadi. In the epilogue, you play Saga as an old woman, reminiscing about things, and she gets visited by April Ryan. The end of the game is pretty heavy on the idea that April Ryan has more adventures to come.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The devs still need to add a lot of extra content (extra quests, graphic novel, commentary track) to meet their various stretch goal promises. Maybe that will make the game better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom