Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Dreamfall Chapters - Console Immersion Action Decline Kickstarter [Spoilers]

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Constant badly edited cutscenes really make for a jarring experience.

In the epilogue, you play Saga as an old woman, reminiscing about things, and she gets visited by April Ryan. The end of the game is pretty heavy on the idea that April Ryan has more adventures to come.
Final scene is a throwback to the first game, where April meets an old woman called "Lady Alvane" who turns out to be Saga adopted by Kian. Not to mention Saga is April reborn.

Last edited:

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Constant badly edited cutscenes really make for a jarring experience.

In the epilogue, you play Saga as an old woman, reminiscing about things, and she gets visited by April Ryan. The end of the game is pretty heavy on the idea that April Ryan has more adventures to come.
Final scene is a throwback to the first game, where April meets an old woman called "Lady Alvane" who turns out to be Saga adopted by Kian. Not to mention Saga is April reborn.

Yeah, I think I like it better when the obvious speculation was simply April when she was older. Best of all, it makes The Longest Journey self-contained!

Keshik

Arcane
The barrage of cutscenes and loading screens at the end got annoying. Not sure what to say about this really, kind of hard to care about these characters that much.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Not donating to Kikestarters is p. much a given.

There are some potentially GOOD one out there, that are definitely possibly worth backing. It wasn't exactly rocket science to figure out how this was going to turn out. ESPECIALLY since they wanted to continue the Dreamfall like series of games, and NOT the actual good one (that was most beloved and very well liked)... :M

Cabazone

Educated
it doesnt touch the original TLJ which i still think to this days, the peak of point and click adventure especially in term of worldbuilding and writing

While I've enjoyed TLJ a lot, I don't agree that you can say it's the (or even one) peak of PnC considering this game is so obviously a disaster when it comes to gameplay. It seems like Funcom had, back then (not that I'm completly persuaded they've learned a lot since), some difficulties to grasp how to design interesting puzzles (or simply decent ones, frankly); not to mention doing ambitious things with it (non-linearity, multiple solutions, CnC, etc.).
At best, you can say that it's a peak of PnC, but only in terms of worldbuilding and writing (to which I would still disagree, albeit in a more subjective way).

Last edited:

bddevil

Educated
Believe it or not, I actually enjoyed book five and especially the ending. Game is still essentially a spam of short cutscenes, but I'll give props to Ragnar for stopping spewing bullshit mysteries and tying up almost all the loose ends he created, including probably the biggest one of TLJ.

Now if someone wants to continue TLJ Home IP, they will have a somewhat of a clean sheet to make a game about some of the best adventure characters ever - April Ryan and Crow.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Just finished it. Despite deus ex machina galore at the end, it was actually enjoyable.

I am mostly glad we finally got to see April again. Also i really liked old Saga recounting her past.
What pissed me off is how they ended Zoe's story. She got back with her hipster boyfriend, had a baby and lived a regular life? Oh, and Saga says that Zoe just wanted normal life from the beginning and never wanted to go on any adventures?
Awesome. Why have we spent two fucking games following this boring cunt again? :mad:

Shadenuat

Arcane
All worth it to see adorable anime-like new April model with big blue eyes

Rest of the game may burn in hell, and let it's developers go down with it

I DON'T MATE WITH WOMEN CROW, IMA GAY

:incloosive::deathclaw::timetoburn:

Last edited:

Malpercio

Arcane
I'm glad they manage to finish it and I'm glad I managed to witness the end... but at the end, can't say I have any other particular feeling other "thank god, it's over"

I didn't even particularly end up caring about the mysteries in retrospect, mostly because I felt they were either lame or it was impossible to tell what the hell the game was trying to tell you. Kian was the one that felt like had a direction, whoever wrote and paced Zoe's story is somewhat a very confused individual, me thinks.

Overall, it's just another series that had great first episode and made a series of shitty sequels. Made me think that maybe it's a blessing we'll never get Anachronox part 2, eh. I had too many disappointments in my life.

Oh yeah, the "telltale formula" is the worst thing that happened to adventure games. Fuck off with this shitty use of budged, no one cares about having 10 versions of the same story is none is told well! Or none of your choices matter in the end.

I miss April so much. :negative:

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
So could somebody spoiler the plot and ending of DC for me? I played through about half an hour of the first chapter before getting bored, but I'd like to know what happened for old time's sake, since TLJ is one of my favourite adventure games.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So could somebody spoiler the plot and ending of DC for me? I played through about half an hour of the first chapter before getting bored, but I'd like to know what happened for old time's sake, since TLJ is one of my favourite adventure games.
-zoe is a genetic experiment to create an artificial dreamer, so is the girl you met in ep 2/3 and the girl in the first DF, but only zoe is a success, others are too weak or incomplete
-the dream machine/the azadi tower is some kind of relay to absorb dreams from ordinary people and they can use it to change the world/merge/destroy it.
-the big bad is brian westhouse, who is possessed by the undreaming, and set the azadi/WATIcorp in motion
-Saga ex machina came and save the day. basically saga, now adult, with no explanation (aside from "i know" and prophecy that's never explained come and shift some characters from arcadia to stark to hack the the magic/tech tower. they succeed)
-crow died, but saga somehow revived him and he came back as a baby crow
-ending: saga get adopted by kian, kian become the bloodless king, and after some time, arcadia and stark is safely (well, million of people died, but it doenst result in extinction of life or anything) merged together and craete a golden era.
-now skip to the epilouge, we see old and withered saga (dubbed lady alvane from the ending of TLJ) back to her house, filled with artifacts and memento from multiple worlds (it turns out the world isnt only arcadia/stark, but other dimensions and realms that isn't connected and filled with alien culture and people) we see old crow perching on a table, saga talk about her adventures, and someone knocks on the door.
-aparently it's april ryan and that scene continues to the epilogue of TLJ where april talks with lady alvane

Septaryeth

Augur
-zoe is a genetic experiment to create an artificial dreamer, so is the girl you met in ep 2/3 and the girl in the first DF, but only zoe is a success, others are too weak or incomplete
-the dream machine/the azadi tower is some kind of relay to absorb dreams from ordinary people and they can use it to change the world/merge/destroy it.
-the big bad is brian westhouse, who is possessed by the undreaming, and set the azadi/WATIcorp in motion
-Saga ex machina came and save the day. basically saga, now adult, with no explanation (aside from "i know" and prophecy that's never explained come and shift some characters from arcadia to stark to hack the the magic/tech tower. they succeed)
-ending: saga get adopted by kian, kian become the bloodless king, and after some time, arcadia and stark is safely (well, million of people died, but it doenst result in extinction of life or anything) merged together and craete a golden era.
-now skip to the epilouge, we see old and withered saga (dubbed lady alvane from the ending of TLJ) back to her house, filled with artifacts and memento from multiple worlds (it turns out the world isnt only arcadia/stark, but other dimensions and realms that isn't connected and filled with alien culture and people) we see old crow perching on a table, saga talk about her adventures, and someone knocks on the door.
-aparently it's april ryan and that scene continues to the epilogue of TLJ where april talks with lady alvane

By the time I play Chapters, I've completely forgot about the merge of two worlds from the TLJ epilogue.
Glad to know that Chapters decided to mention it in this rushed clusterfuck they called ending.

Did the game actually just brushed it off as "Few millions died but at least the two worlds have safely became one"?
And what does the bloodless king mean anyway? Is that a fancy alternative title for an Azadi King?
I'm guessing these were materials for the cancelled TLJ sequel.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Septaryeth I don't think that is ever actually explained in-game unless I missed it.

I just played the last episode yesterday and the ending was definitely rushed. The pacing generally felt off across the episodes; some things were too rushed while many others were just pointless padding.

Also, this game is just LOL in general.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

By the time I play Chapters, I've completely forgot about the merge of two worlds from the TLJ epilogue.
Glad to know that Chapters decided to mention it in this rushed clusterfuck they called ending.

Did the game actually just brushed it off as "Few millions died but at least the two worlds have safely became one"?
And what does the bloodless king mean anyway? Is that a fancy alternative title for an Azadi King?
I'm guessing these were materials for the cancelled TLJ sequel.
Yeah, its rushed as fuck and saga is practically a living deus ex machina
Bloodless king probably meant a king that doesnt come from royal/noble blood

Mark Richard

Arcane
I’ve just finished Dreamfall Chapters and think it has suitably epic feel for a finale to a trilogy. Its visuals and music are striking, the characters we know and love are back for one last ride, and the voice actors reprise their roles. Money has been poured into this, money and love.

I don’t feel one way or the other about the puzzles because I’ve always been drawn to point & click adventure games solely for the world and story. Puzzles are now generally solved in the immediate vicinity through trial and error, their lack of depth being somewhat supplemented by the game’s choices.

The ending however, is awful.
A meta character literally named Saga shows up out of the blue to solve all problems while everyone else stands around looking as baffled as me. Saga handwaves away questions and says ‘I’ll explain everything later.’ She never does. Fuck you. Credits.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
Just started The Longest Journey. Should I stop after Dreamfall or endure the final chapters to conclude the entire saga?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Just started The Longest Journey. Should I stop after Dreamfall or endure the final chapters to conclude the entire saga?

It's a decline with both games that followed, but you'll want to know more so you'll stick with them.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
You will not miss a single thing by not playing Dreamfall. Just finish The Longest Journey and then cry uncontrollably, because you will never ever get another game as good as that again. Ever.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
You will not miss a single thing by not playing Dreamfall. Just finish The Longest Journey and then cry uncontrollably, because you will never ever get another game as good as that again. Ever.
Actually I've read the thread and uninstalled the game.

hello friend

Arcane
Dreamfall is alright if you've got time to waste. I don't regret playing it, but it doesn't hold a candle to The Longest Journey. Give it a spin when you're done with your backlog, see for yourself if it's worth playing or not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom