Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Dreamfall Chapters - Console Immersion Action Decline Kickstarter [Spoilers]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I binged DC for a couple of days and I was shocked by how dumb it is. It's so liberal they managed to make the Communist Party look like the only way to political progress. I can write a whole essay on the stupidity of the whole ordeal, not to mention that it's not really a game. The pacing, the Saga ex machina, the story being moved by McGuffins and Chosen Ones by virtue of being Chosen Ones, the retarded and inconsistent characters ("He's FUCKING a magical?", "I AM GAY!", Likho is one dimensional to a fault and him being gay makes it worse, Enu is the embodiment of Tumblr, Zoe is useless, Anna is just there, don't get me started on Saga), the constant rhetoric written for 8 year-olds that resolves conflicts (if there was a conflict that matters at all), the ineffectual villains, the in-general irrelevancy of the plot etc. etc. etc; I can go on forever. Sure, there are good moments, but it's all drowned in this mire of nothingness and amateurish writing, the worst part is that it had potential and one of the things I hate most is wasted potential.

The much hyped "choices" are Telltale-type dialogue flavoring, but I expected as such. This is so very far away from The Longest Journey I can't imagine it being done by the same people. I'm going to replay TLJ now so I can remember the glory days. It's terrible to see how the mighty have fallen.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The "puzzles" are getting pathetic in each episodes too. Ep 1 got decent puzzles and real choice and consequences, but apparently, they listened to dumb people who said the puzzle are too hard, and the consequences are unpredictable and should be toned down.

With that, we go from the potential that is the first chapter (with puzzle, a choice that changed a major part of the game) into this brainlesscopy of nu-telltale shit.

HHell even nu-telltale game had its great moments like wolf among us and to my surprise, tales from borderlands.

DC is such a crushing disappointment that leave my heart broken in hope that the devs might produce something on the level of TLJ again

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It's a decline with both games that followed, but you'll want to know more so you'll stick with them.
Nope. TLG is completely self-contained. Finishing it doesn't leave any loose ends or unresolved plots, no cliffhanger, and in fact until the final scene of the game got retconned much later it was a very satisfying farewell. As Jaesun said you do not miss a single thing by stopping at TLG. Only reason to keep playing is if you haven't read anything in this thread, or are a masochist.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That's true, even April says as much in Dreamfall (the whole bit about her role being over). Dreamfall and Chapters are completely unrelated to TLJ, the only similarity is the setting. I think most people liked Dreamfall because they played it before TLJ, that's the case with me anyway, but I was also young and naive and couldn't see the decline in front of me (compared to other adventure games and storytelling in general).

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
It's a decline with both games that followed, but you'll want to know more so you'll stick with them.
Nope. TLG is completely self-contained. Finishing it doesn't leave any loose ends or unresolved plots, no cliffhanger, and in fact until the final scene of the game got retconned much later it was a very satisfying farewell. As Jaesun said you do not miss a single thing by stopping at TLG. Only reason to keep playing is if you haven't read anything in this thread, or are a masochist.

I meant more in the sense you'll want to see more of the setting. I know I wanted to find out what went down in Arcadia and Stark after TLJ, for example.

:|

Lacrymas

Arcane
I am currently replaying TLJ and I've forgotten how exposition-heavy the game is. You spend more time being talked to than actually playing. It's actually quite boring. Maybe it's boring because I know all of this already, but it still seems very thick on dialogue. Not the good kind of dialogue as well, just exposition dumps.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i am still bitter about this game

i just want another the longest journey :( maybe i should smack my head hard so i have amnesia and forget it so i can play it the first time again

bddevil

Educated
I am currently replaying TLJ and I've forgotten how exposition-heavy the game is. You spend more time being talked to than actually playing. It's actually quite boring. Maybe it's boring because I know all of this already, but it still seems very thick on dialogue. Not the good kind of dialogue as well, just exposition dumps.
I mean, it's not like TLJ was known for its intricate puzzles, so I'm not sure why you were trying to get some great gameplay out of it.

Dialogue, a lot of exposition-esque hot spot quips, a lot of text, ie writing is what made the game in the first place. I mean, Minstrum Tobias' monologue probably has more words in it than most 'adventure' games these days, and it's quite organic and doesn't feel out of place a ta ll. TLJ is one of the few games that pulled it off well imo. I've never went on to say 'oh christ stfu give me tldr; about stark/arcadia and let me go to the next location'.

Keshik

Arcane
Just started The Longest Journey. Should I stop after Dreamfall or endure the final chapters to conclude the entire saga?

Don't even bother with Dreamfall. Can watch a playthrough on Youtube if you're curious - don't think it is that far removed from the normal gameplay :P

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Our mission

We want our games to have heart and soul.

We want to make games where story and characters are in focus; games with mature themes, diverse worlds and moral complexity. Games that don’t underestimate players. Games that treat players with respect.

We believe games is the most powerful storytelling medium in history. We believe that games can be emotionally engaging and challenging. We believe that games can have a soul.

It’s our mission to find that soul.
Dreamfall Chapters sang the blues.

Boleskine

Arcane
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey/posts/1777799

"Things Take Time": January 2017 update
ea6624de975d9f3e0fa8fcba528b09d1_original.jpg

The new key art for the console versions.
Happy New Year, dreamers!
First off, we’d like to apologise for the long silence. The team was kept busy with tight milestones towards the end of 2016.

As 2017 boots up, however, we can finally draw back the curtain on what we’ve been working on since last summer.

You may have heard, but in case you missed the announcement: Dreamfall Chapters is coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in an enhanced special edition on March 24th! Our publishing partner Deep Silver is releasing the complete game both physically and digitally — here’s what the cover looks like:

5d1f4a09587b7b31e6e806fe9991628c_original.jpg

(You should also check out Deep Silver’s announcement trailer for PlayStation 4.)

For the PC/Mac/Linux folks — our backers and existing customers — we’ll be releasing a new and updated version of the game (‘The Final Cut’) to coincide with the console release.

We’re very excited about this opportunity to revisit Chapters one final time. There are several improvements and changes we’ve wanted to make for years — along with requests and suggestions from our players and community — and we finally have the time and resources to address them.

So what’s new? There are changes to character art and animations, music, sound-effects, shaders, lighting — and gameplay. We’ll be talking specifics soon, and we’ll have more on the console enhancements and special features before March 24th.

Speaking of “soon”: back in September we made some promises that we haven’t delivered on — yet. We’ve had a number of staffing challenges, particularly in project management and QA; these have been solved, but we’re way behind schedule on two patches.

The first is the long-awaited German language patch. We received the final voice overs for books four and five in November, and we’ve been working to integrate these into a larger patch, which also contains bug fixes and optimisations. This patch is still in QA, but it won’t be long now.

The second is what we’re calling the ‘benefactors patch’. This update contains missing in-game rewards — including the town crier and Benefactor’s Wall in Marcuria — and it’s next on our schedule.

The third patch is the big one — the aforementioned ‘The Final Cut’ — which upgrades the game to match the console versions. This version will also be included in the Kickstarter boxes scheduled to ship close to the release of the console versions along with the remaining physical rewards.

Things Take Time — almost four years now — but we haven’t left Dreamfall Chapters behind. Far from it! We’re still very much focused on completing the journey in a way we can all be proud of.

One last thing: we know there’s been some issues with our website and forum, both in terms of performance and support, and we plan to address this soon. We haven’t had the resources to make the necessary changes, but it’s on top of our list. Your patience, as always, is very much appreciated.

Once again, we want to thank all of you for making this possible. When our journey began four years ago, we had no idea where it would take us — and we’re grateful for having had this amazing opportunity. Wherever Red Thread goes next, it’s because of your support.

Thanks for reading!

Team RTG

Lacrymas

Arcane
That's just what I was going to say. They wasted four years with this garbage, I don't think adding some salt to the wound is the best course of action.

Boleskine

Arcane
Console release date and new trailer

Hello backers!

Dreamfall Chapters is coming to consoles on May 5th and Deep Silver has just released a new trailer to mark the date – and the beginning of pre-orders. Check out the Two Worlds Trailer now.

(And yes, you're not wrong: the release date changed from late March to early May without us sending out an update – something we realised and regretted after receiving a deluge of emails and messages on the 24th. We sincerely apologise for the confusion and frustration.)

The Final Cut – the updated and complete PC/Mac/Linux edition – will arrive shortly after the console version. We'll lock down a date soon and post some screens and videos...and this time we'll definitely let all of you know when it happens!

Red Thread Games

Tom Selleck

Arcane
I tried searching and I'm not reading 36 pages of this, but is this 'ultimate cut' free for people who already own it or do idiots have to pay for it?

I might give it a shot after May 5th or something, then. Though I've heard it's shit.

Boleskine

Arcane
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey/posts/1857774

Dreamfall Chapters arrives on consoles
18 Comments

5d1f4a09587b7b31e6e806fe9991628c_original.jpg

This Friday, May 5, Dreamfall Chapters finally lands on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

We've been working on the console versions since last August, and we've made a lot of changes – but more on that in a couple of weeks, because that's not all: we're also working on The Final Cut for PC/Mac/Linux, which will be released as a free update to backers (and anyone who's bought the game on Steam, GOG or the Humble Store) "soon". It will have all the changes from the console versions, including improved character models, audio and music – and more. So stay tuned for that!

To prepare players for Friday's big release – a refresher for those who have played the previous games; a primer for those who haven't – we've made a video recap of Dreamfall: The Longest Journey.

Watch the recap video here!

We've said it before and we'll say it again: we couldn't have done any of this without you. We're nearing the end of the journey, and it's amazing to look back and see how far we've come. We hope we can provide a fitting end to the journey with the upcoming Final Cut and all the Kickstarter rewards.

We'll be back with more details later in May. Until then, thanks for reading and thanks for your continued support!

Team RTG

It's fitting that this project would end with a console version of the final cut coming out before the PC version.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom