Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Dreamfall Chapters - Console Immersion Action Decline Kickstarter [Spoilers]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
"Dreamfall Chapters arrives on consoles"

Of course it does. I was semi-surprised when I read that though, because I thought it was on consoles already. I guess this is where it truly belongs.

Boleskine

Arcane
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey/posts/1920395

The Final Cut release date and key art

We promised you'd be the first to know, and here it is:

Dreamfall Chapters: The Final Cut arrives July 21st on Steam, GOG and the Humble Store, for PC, Mac and Linux.

We're creating brand new marketing and box art for this special edition; here's an exclusive work-in-progress preview:

7e9a6e58197e6448a1d1c358a83135ea_original.jpg

The Final Cut includes all the changes and updates from the console version, including new music and audio, improved character models, shaders and lighting, revised menus and user interface, remastered voice overs, a new Dreamfall recap video and plenty of extra features. This edition also includes the final batch of in-game rewards, along with general engine enhancements and optimisations, and performance upgrades.

The game looks, plays and runs better than ever...and, of course, it's a free update for everyone who pledged and helped make Dreamfall Chapters a reality in the first place!

Dreamfall Chapters, the vanilla version, is currently 33% off on Steam (40% if you pick up the Special Edition) – and you can also buy The Longest Journey Bundle and get an incredible 58% off the sticker price. This bundle includes The Longest Journey, Dreamfall and Dreamfall Chapters, and it'd make a great gift to anyone who's yet to embark on the journey. Please spread the word – and watch out for more on The Final Cut in the very near future!

Team Red Thread

Lacrymas

Arcane
Only those who pledged during the Kickstarter campaign are going to get this for free or anyone who has the game in general?

it's a free update for everyone who pledged and helped make Dreamfall Chapters a reality in the first place!

Paul_cz

Arcane
Funny, I played TLJ, then Dreamfall and then Chapters all within span of two months, all for the first time, about 6 months ago.

I enjoyed Chapters the most. Yeah it is flawed, but at least the gameplay wasn't this totally passive bullshit with inane puzzles (yeah I am not a fun of puzzles in TLJ and point and click gameplay style). It also looked beautiful and I enjoyed most of the story and characters, even if it's weird/lame what they did with April and Crow.

Deleted member 7219

Chapters is pretty bad. But the worst part of it was the social justice bullshit they did with Kian. It is one of the most obvious, shameless attempts at inserting identity politics into a video game.

In the first few episodes, you can choose to have Kian start a romance path with a female character. Then suddenly, in episode 3, he announces he is gay and there's no other option. Not even BioWare, for all the flak they get, went that far with a protagonist character.

I don't really care that much about romances in video games but I can smell bullshit when the game encourages you to start a straight relationship with another character only to suddenly say, "LOL, YOUR CHARACTER IS GAY NOW, DEAL WITH IT!".

The fact that most of the gay stuff happened while you are trying to infilitrate a concentration camp is the silliest thing of all.

Anyway, game itself is disappointing, story doesn't make sense, and there's social justice crap. Don't buy.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Kian "being gay" is horrible writing (like literally the whole game) for a myriad of reasons, but the game doesn't encourage you to start a romance with what's-her-face, she lunges at Kian and you have the option to kiss her or not. I have no idea why there's an option at all, she should've just kissed him without him having time to react, but whatever. I think the choice thing told me only half of players chose to kiss her, which means it does come out of nowhere and people don't know what to do in that situation, so they go with whatever. This is compared to pretty much every other choice, which is always skewed towards one of them.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Member that line:

"Crow, i am gay. I dont mate with women"

Yeah fucking cringefest right there. Nkt even bioware has ever done that level of cringe.

And yeah, o guess he wasnt gay at the beginning, but for reasons, he is suddenly one.

I dunno, there are alot ways to write a gay chatacter and i never mind one, but i didnt expect this 14 years old tumblrina level of cringe with a ragnar tornquist writing.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Yeah, that line was incredibly cringe-y.

Here's an interesting question - was the game commercially successful?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Chapters was a free giveaway from last year's GOG Summer sale for buying 25$ worth of games. It was also at 90% off from the Indie Pinata after that, I think that's where I got it from (3 euro), either from there or from the Insomnia sale. Welp, so much for that. It's interesting what they'll do next.

Boleskine

Arcane
Final Cut is released. 40% off this weekend. I might finally play this game but will wait for reports on bugs and performance.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Can confirm that GOG "upgraded" mine to it. I'm interested whether they changed anything in the narrative, but not interested enough to play it again.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Final Cut is released. 40% off this weekend. I might finally play this game but will wait for reports on bugs and performance.

I played and finsihed the full game half a year ago pre-final cut and didn't encounter any bugs. Performance was good apart from one or two places where it dipped into 40s.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Yeah, that line was incredibly cringe-y.

Here's an interesting question - was the game commercially successful?

I don't know the numbers, but I do know that Red Thread is going strong and working on their next project. Last time I talked to the guys they said they were financially secure for a while. For whatever that is worth.

bylam

Funcom
Developer
I haven't played through Chapters so I wouldn't even be able to ask that question and know what I am talking about :(

Boleskine

Arcane
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey/posts/2063474

Another rewards update

Hi all,

We're sure many of you have been asking the same question: what's happening with the physical rewards?

The good news is, we're close. The bad news is that we won't be shipping everything at once – more on that below. First, here's what the Journeyman Edition box looks like:

fb73922fd030597a1c91914da27a7389_original.jpg

dd65a0a0b17d7e15409957186c06b6c0_original.jpg

The Journeyman Edition comes in a six-panel DVD Digipak, with the game on a single, dual-layer DVD. It's a great-looking box, designed by art director Christoffer Grav. Production on the boxes begins shortly, and they're shipping in January. Different territories may see different ship dates.

Before we get to the rest of the update, here's a brief recap of what’s been happening with Dreamfall Chapters in 2017.

We spent the first six months of the year working on two new ‘complete editions’ of the game: the “definite experience” for consoles, and The Final Cut for desktop platforms. These were both massive projects that, not unexpectedly, ended up taking more time than planned – but they were worth the effort.

The Final Cut (TFC) is the culmination of a dream we had since before Book One was released. It was always our intent to return to the beginning and rework the game before committing it to physical media for posterity. TFC turned out as well as we could hope, and reflects the vision we had for Dreamfall Chapters five years ago: one complete and continuous story divided into five acts.

TFC launched July 21 — right in the middle of summer holidays (in retrospect, not a fantastic idea) – as a free update. We received very positive feedback from players, and, with both Steam and GOG promoting the re-release, we sold more copies than expected.

We had planned to patch the game shortly afterwards…because when have we not had to patch the game after a release? Well, as it turned out, not this time. The version on Steam, GOG and Humble is the best, most stable and optimised version of the game. And it’s very likely that this will remain the final final cut of Dreamfall Chapters.

In mid-August, we began work on the first batch of boxes, starting with the $110 tier: the Journeyman Edition.

At the end of September, after multiple email reminders (and attempts to get in touch with unresponsive backers) we locked down shipping addresses. We hit a snag, unfortunately, when the person responsible for organising and handling backers and rewards took a leave of absence. This required some reorganisation and changes, putting a sizeable strain on our already thinly-stretched team.

We’re finally back on track, and following the Journeyman Edition will be the higher-tier boxes, containing additional printed materials and other goodies — maps, books, USB keys. These are pencilled for production in February.

The official soundtrack CDs will ship separately, most likely in January. This CD Digipak features the remastered musical score from The Final Cut. If you pledged $50 and up, you can already download a digital copy of the soundtrack through your Humble account. If you've forgotten how to access your account and digital rewards, please follow this link.

The remaining digital rewards will arrive around the same time as the second batch of boxes. The art book is done, and we're working on Journeys Birth and the accompanying comic, containing several short stories that provide more context and background to the game. We look forward to expanding the universe and sharing our stories with you.

Oh, and you may have missed this one: the extra outfits and hairstyles for Zoë are already available in The Final Cut, for those of you who backed the relevant tiers. To access them, you'll need your forum badge key (this is also listed in your Humble account). Boot up the game, go to 'Settings' and select the 'Redeem key' tab. Paste the forum key into this box and click submit. If your key is valid, you should see a message confirming the unlock. If it's not valid, please make sure your pledge level included these rewards.

Finally, we’ve heard from a couple of people who never received t-shirts. While we don’t know the reason for this — the shirts were handled by a third party — we want to sort it out: if you pledged for (but never received) shirt(s), please send us an email at backers@redthreadgames.com and include ’t-shirt’ in the heading; we’ll get back to you shortly. These shirts will be different from the originally produced shirts, but that makes them all the more unique!

Quite a few of you have also asked for a general Red Thread Games update: what's the status on our new games, are we planning another Kickstarter, will we ever make The Longest Journey Home. (Etc.) We will answer some of those questions in our Christmas update – and hopefully share some more good news.

Until then, we wish you all a wonderful (and not too dark or cold, or, if you reside on the bottom hemisphere, hot and humid) December!

The Red Thread Games Team

Boleskine

Arcane
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey/posts/2287511

Kickstarter update for September 2018
"Delays, delays, delays — games, updates, shipments…life."

Hello.

It took most of spring and summer, but we’ve shipped boxes out to almost all $110 tier backers. A few of you have still not updated or confirmed your contact information or shipping addresses; we’ve tried to connect to arrange for shipment, please get back to us if you haven’t already.

If you pledged at the Journeyman Edition tier and confirmed your address earlier this year, but your box hasn’t arrived, please get in touch via the contact information listed here:

https://www.redthreadgames.com/backers/

(As always, keep that link bookmarked for the latest updates.)

The team is continuing their work on the $200+ tier rewards. As usual, it’s taking longer than anticipated, partly because of the amount of work involved in the first batch, partly because we’ve underestimated the amount of work involved in the second batch.

We’ve also made life slightly more difficult for ourselves by increasing the page count and complexity of the printed materials. The Tome of the Balance has tripled in size, mostly because of the amount of art and lore we want to include. This is, after all, the culmination of almost six years of development…and we only get to do this once.

To make matters worse (for us; better for y’all) we’ve decided to combine the various books into one massive opus: the new and expanded Tome of the Balance is currently around 400 pages long (though this could change in the coming weeks) divided in two halves — Stark and Arcadia — and will be printed on premium paper with a beautiful cover. We think you’ll be happy with the end result.

This has, of course, necessitated a redesign of the boxes to fit the Tome and the other materials. (Did we mention how we’ve made things more difficult for ourselves?)

Here’s a sample page-spread from the upgraded Tome:

b721bab6b113cb9daf23d5ae4e445998_original.png

We plan to print everything in October. Shipping will commence after that.

T-shirts: we won’t be offering any new designs for sale. We’ve had terrible luck with printing partners, the quality's been below par, and we simply can’t handle the logistics. Backers who didn’t originally receive their shirts are getting new ones, but that will be it — at least for the foreseeable future.

In non-backer rewards related news, we’re also working on a game.

Draugen — a first-person mystery set in 1920s Norway — is due out next year on PC and consoles, and there’s a new trailer arriving in October. To stay updated, you can visit the game’s homepage (www.draugengame.com) or follow one of our many social media channels (see below).

If you liked Dreamfall, you might like Draugen. It’s a very different game, but the red thread is narrative, characters and dialogue. Even if you don’t play first-person exploration games, you should check out the trailer when it arrives — it could be that this is the one first-person exploration game you actually end up playing.

Thanks for reading!

Red Thread Games

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom