Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"DRPG" Stranger of Sword City

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
btw, race does matter much more than i initially thoguht in SoSC:

Race STR INT PIE VIT AGI LUC AVI HP MP
Human Nine Nine Nine Nine Nine Nine Low usually usually
Elf Seven 13 Eight Eight Ten Eight usually Low high
Dwarf 13 Six Nine 13 Six Seven Lowest high Low
Migumyi Six Eight Twelve Seven Eleven Ten high Low high
Ney Eleven Seven Six Nine 13 Eight Highest usually Lo

they did a fairly good job at making sure no single one of the races here are an obvious "win-button". you can't even argue a case for the Human, like you cand o in any other RPG ever, because they have the Avoidance base value "Lowest".

http://www.spoiler.jp/srv/tsurugi/index.php?種族

i think it's actually fucking faster to hex-edit the game's save files, spend 1 or 2 days learning which value(s) represent the bonus points roll and just fucking edit the save.
After this you can edit gold, items and story progress... What's the point of playing any game?

BTW did you played Wizardry Online by chance? It had freaking big dungeons, permadeath, multiclassing and ability to sleep in stables... Too bad SOE flipped and now it only available in Japan.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
ThisNameIsFree

well i once edited my age and race in Elminage because i didn't want to start over just because i wanted to try out a new race. Also if you do what i did first time playing Gothic which is the 1st time playing I retardedly made all 6 party members hermaphrodites by choosing the "?" gender option.

i did not know, and how the fuck was i supposed to know, that this fucks you up bad because those chars can't equip gender-specific gear.

that was the very reason why i googled how to hex edit the saves, btw.

but of course i agree, there is no point in cheating. FIXING DUMB SHIT like the gender thing i did by mistake because game was dumb about it during char creation: that is fair game to fix.

oh, also if you're just curious about the game you can hex edit yourself to be any monster rance. fun times.

also you can change summons to be Player-controlled instead of automated by the game by changing only a single Hex value... hehe, changing a specific "03" to "00" in the section where the summon's char data is.

i don't use summons much but that would be fun to do, i mean after one has finished it already.

ANYWAY:

HOW DOES DR % REALLY WORK IN SoSC?

SHOULD I STACK DR %?

IT SEEMS TO ME DR % IS MUCH MORE USEFUL THAN STACKING DEFENSE?

?????

Emmanuel2

Savant
DEF comes first then DR cuts it by that %. It's useful against larger numbers but is negligible against lower damage numbers if its <30%.

Definitely stack both if you can but stack DEF first if you don't have access to alot of DR equipment since the damage is still bearable pre-postgame. You can also get DR from Black Wall and Sword Bond 2, plus some weapons (as early as the B tier) and most high tier armor have them.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
YAH I just noticed one of my chars has fucking 14 DR.

how exactly does the enemy melee attack get resolved?

for example, when a player character punches someone the formula that is utilized to determine the DAMAGE (not sure if it applies to the accuracy of the attack; but am 100% this is for determining the damage) is as follows:

character lands atk on enemy then game determines dmg as the party member's HIT value (whatever it may be at that moment) then + (plus) the char's STR value DIVIDED BY 3 (always) and then finally -n, i.e. the total of HIT + STR x 3 gets substracted a specific number that is dependent on the char's class.

wizards get -10 to their attack dmg result, whereas ninjas only get -4 (they're the most damaging).

however, HIT value goes up every few levels depending on the class, and in fighter's case he gets +1 HIT every single level, HOWEVER the -number substracted from the result of the fighter's attack will ALWAYS be -5, and in a Cleric's case it will ALWAYS be -3.

now, ok the party member hit the enemy, etc, shit was done, how does the DMG NUMBER math-up versus the enemy DEFENSE and AV?

does it first resolve versus a formula utilizing the enemy AV + enemy AGI? (i think so)

and THEN after surpassing enemy AV does it then resolve versus the enemy DEF? and if so how? party member's atk dmg number gets substracted from enemy DEF? as simply as that? seriously?

and then that total, if positive, gets the percentage number in the DR value of the enemy to come in and do its thing?

that about it?

Emmanuel2

Savant
Resolve if a hit gets in through AV -> Resolve DEF -> Resolve racial bonus/penalty -> Cut by DR% -> Damage number.

I'm not sure about the order of Cut by DR% and Resolve racial. But judging from my damage numbers against the postgame even with All Type weapons, it should be like that.

I'm pretty sure there's more to it than Damage - DEF. The game does not explain alot of things but I'm pretty sure it resolves against DEF first then cuts it by DR and race.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i agree. i'm starting to think that it's not worth pursuing the "the perfect amount of DEF", as regardless of what the formulas are we both know almost all of the bosses laugh at that shit and just 7x curb-stomp your 200 DEF char for non-stop DMG.

i'm thinking now, that since this is essentially "the case" with the game and how DEF fares versus the game's heavy hitters... then the only legitimate defense so to speak that the player has is the Damage Reduction.

Think about it: a flat 20 % DR chunk taken off a Lineage boss's atttack? the bigger the numbers the more effective the DR will be.

also abilities like Sword of Chivalry, and the two others after it, and other offensive abilities that enemies have that players don't; there are a lot of abilities that completely bypass AV and DEF.

pretty sure about that, but i'm gonna go look it up

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
>There are better options than Brawlers.
Meanwhile, Brawler outkills entire party consistently.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
ThisNameIsFree

well i once edited my age and race in Elminage because i didn't want to start over just because i wanted to try out a new race. Also if you do what i did first time playing Gothic which is the 1st time playing I retardedly made all 6 party members hermaphrodites by choosing the "?" gender option.

I think this is a sign you've been spending too much time browsing General Discussions.

:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

Celerity

It's not like that necessarily changes either. I mean sure your other classes will get better weapons but so will the Brawler. They still outperform.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
brawler doesn't get access to weapons with high built-in decapitate enchantment, plus brawler's best weapons are all cursed, so you either need to de-curse them first via alchemy or you need to use a Devilish brawler (which is not a bad choice).

dmg output isn't actually the brawler's strong-suit, it's that they're the only other class with Natural Armor Class, same as the ninja.

ninja loses 3 AC every 3 levels or so, something like that, maybe it was five levels, at any rate the Brawler gets the same treatment only 1 level slower.

this is important.

he's definitely what's called a late-bloomer though, as the good brawler weapons start showing up right around the final story-dungeon, and then continue to drop non-stop in the 3 post-game dungeons.

brawlers do good early-game damage without much gear required which is why players think they're a great class, and while this is true definitely i mean brawler is probably the 4th best martial class; they suffer greatly during mid-game in *any* Elminage game because in the mid-game is whne the other martial classes start getting legitimately good gear and start learning their spells and shit.

so, like i said, the actual thing that makes brawlers good is their Natural AC. End-game brawler with un-cursed brawler weaponry will have crazy high hit points, more HP than ninjas gain, and almost-as-good level of AC as a ninja to boot.

problem with uncursing weapons is that it takes up valuable enchantment "space", so this means you will never be able to fit in all the crazy enchantments you might want on brawler weapons.

they're a fun class.

EDIT: as for "better options than brawlers" if all you are looking at here, strictly speaking, is damage output, its alreadby been very heavily researched and it is Valkyrie dual-wielding end-game spears with beheading enchantments.

doesn't mean you should make 6 valks, obviously. but if all you want is DPS then valk is mathematically the best class.

Jinn

Arcane
So have you guys mainly been playing this with a controller or M+KB? I started with M+KB, but tried out the controller controls the other day and found them surprisingly good. It's almost like I could focus more on what was going on on the screen for some reason.

Anyways, was just curious how most of you guys play these JDRPGs.

Celerity

Brawlers get -1 AC per 3 levels. If Ninjas get 3 that would give you -290 AC at level 100. You sure about that?

And anyways by the time I have a Valk like that I'm basically done, as is he hits like this really high level spear except 2-4 times.

Only problem I have with the Brawler is enemies know either who has the worst AC or who does the most damage and consistently focus fire on them. If other classes were doing better they'd go throw themselves at the Lord or Valk.

Anyways, FUCK YOU ROYAL TOMB. That is all. Just go fuck yourself, you entire zone.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
no, i was saying that brawlers get -1 AC every MORE levels than the ninja, thus their AC decline is slower.

it doesn't matter anyway cos i was wrong about that. brawler/ninjas both get -1 every 3.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
royal tomb's the best dungeon in gothic, hehe. believe me i understand your pain... first time playing it i reached a point of frustration about 80% of the way through (couldn't find the necessary "stuff" and/or "secrets" necessary to do in order to open the final-final exit of the tomb)...

but dude, once you finish it you feel like a new man, reborn, first of his name and keeper of the flame.

once your reptile brain isn't overpowering your thought process concerning the tomb (that was not an insult, btw) and you suddenly realize just how incredible brilliantly designed from top to bottom the royal tomb is. it's probably my favorite stand-alone dungeon from any RPG, be they dungeon crawler or not.

but yes, first time in the Tomb oh god i remember spending hours there....

Celerity

latest

So here's the ladder. Except there's stone walls blocking on all sides. How the fuck do I get there? There's not even signs in this area.

Granted, the signs fucking lie but at least I'd know what I should do the opposite of.

I don't see anything brilliant about arbitrary troll puzzles.

Also, anti magic zones can go fuck themselves with a spiked horse dildo. Not because I'm especially concerned about the magic loss, but because they make maps entirely unreadable clusterfucks.

Emmanuel2

Savant
So have you guys mainly been playing this with a controller or M+KB? I started with M+KB, but tried out the controller controls the other day and found them surprisingly good. It's almost like I could focus more on what was going on on the screen for some reason.

Anyways, was just curious how most of you guys play these JDRPGs.

I play with a controller since it looks like those are the way to go. It's also comfy.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
latest

So here's the ladder. Except there's stone walls blocking on all sides. How the fuck do I get there? There's not even signs in this area.

Granted, the signs fucking lie but at least I'd know what I should do the opposite of.

I don't see anything brilliant about arbitrary troll puzzles.

Also, anti magic zones can go fuck themselves with a spiked horse dildo. Not because I'm especially concerned about the magic loss, but because they make maps entirely unreadable clusterfucks.

have you met those tiger with kobold? hehe

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
No one knows how I reach the exit?
Bit difficult to see what you're after on that pic, and it's been a long time since I did that zone but my old Grid Cartographer maps show the stairs you need in the middle, not the top left. You'll come back that way much later on.

Y1Rl1F8.jpg

Royal Tomb was a map I was so glad I made myself tbh. GC is a good piece of kit for mapping imo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom