Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DS III is out.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Just so you'd know. Dungeon Siege III is out for at least day. Kinda wonder why nobody commented, but it's on your favorite site nearby. (Released week or so earlier.)

I don't have space on HD because of GBs of anime I try to get (like Shigurui), however there is a lot of people who have free space and could comment if it's better or worse than DS II.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
It didn't strike me as being very much like the previous two games, though I couldn't bear to play it for very long.

FTR: though it wasn't particularly good, I liked DSII enough to bother to finish it. This seems much more arse.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Shagnak said:
It didn't strike me as being very much like the previous two games, though I couldn't bear to play it for very long.

FTR: though it wasn't particularly good, I liked DSII enough to bother to finish it. This seems much more arse.

It's actually not too bad, but you have to give it time. The first hour or so and the first few levels leave a bad impression - I almost rage quit and uninstalled. But then I plugged in a controller, turned off the stupid auto-align camera and persevered.

Once you get to about level 5-6 and get your first companion, game starts picking up and becomes quite enjoyable. Better than the first games I'd say (not saying much I know) and at least as good as any recent aRPG's of this type (diablo like).

DS2 had some elements that were fun:
1) Non twitch combat (pure stat based) - so many consoletards automatically said the game "played itself"
2) Fun optimize armor / ragdoll mini-game
3) Crafting that allowed for some massively overpowered builds
4) Randomized loot with millions of unique items
5) Awesome music (and textures considering 2005)
6) Some tricky puzzles in Chapter 3
7) Respawn, so you could level grind to make things easier if you wanted
8) Loads of special powers that allowed many great unique builds

The story was awful and GPG made no attempt to obscure the linearity.

DS3 otoh is just a new game that piggybacks on the DS name. I'd be interested to see if the story and choices are any good, if so, I'll be getting it despite the super twitch combat.

made

Arcane
AlaCarcuss said:
Shagnak said:

It's actually not too bad, but you have to give it time. The first hour or so and the first few levels leave a bad impression
Game doesn't really pick up, open up, or anything up after the first hour. It's exactly the same gameplay throughout. You like it or you don't imo.

edit: inb4 Jaesun wakes up

circ

Arcane
Befuddled Halfling said:
1) Non twitch combat (pure stat based) - so many consoletards automatically said the game "played itself"
Played itself so fucking much that I kept dying in the first fucking fights before I started to use skills, potions and running the hell away. Once you learned how it all worked it became easier, but in no way did it play itself. Even bossfights, which became ridiculously easy once you knew what strategy to use.
Befuddled Halfling said:
2) Fun optimize armor / ragdoll mini-game
That's the reason I still play it.
Befuddled Halfling said:
3) Crafting that allowed for some massively overpowered builds
Never much played with this though.
Befuddled Halfling said:
4) Randomized loot with millions of unique items
YEAAH.
Befuddled Halfling said:
5) Awesome music (and textures considering 2005)
Music was shit (thanks Jeremy Soule), but textures were good.
Befuddled Halfling said:
6) Some tricky puzzles in Chapter 3
YEAAH. Made BioWare's puzzles seem like sticking LEGO together.
Befuddled Halfling said:
7) Respawn, so you could level grind to make things easier if you wanted
YEAAH.
Befuddled Halfling said:
Yeah, you could really make different builds. Warriors could do shield, dual or 2h, and there was a big difference between the skills. Same thing with mages/healers/druids and archers. Well archers just got two? Although you could pick crossbow or bow.

Befuddled Halfling said:
The story was awful and GPG made no attempt to obscure the linearity.
Story was passable. It was the voice acting that really made it suck.

Befuddled Halfling said:
DS3 otoh is just a new game that piggybacks on the DS name. I'd be interested to see if the story and choices are any good, if so, I'll be getting it despite the super twitch combat.
DS3 really has nothing in common with DS2 or 1. For example skills, other than healing, I'm not sure if they're even doing shit. And there aren't that many of them either.

Shannow

Waster of Time
micmu said:
Kinda wonder why nobody commented
Because nobody (sane) gives a fuck
Huh? We have at least 2 threads going in the news section and another 2 in General Gaming.
Oh, and it's shit. (Unless, aparently, you control the camera with your "stick")

Archibald

Arcane
Biggest pile of shit that i tried since Oblivion. That being said i`m not sure if Oblivion was worse. Popamole of H&S genre.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Can anybody explain to me why chick in slut clothes has more HP and DR than knight/paldin in full metal armour and shield? :roll: So far in plus:

1)Music
2)Story better than in DS1 and 2 (and Oblibion, DA2 etc... but it's hardly an achievment)
3)Eastern European feel and art setting reminded me of Transilvania.
4) game is hard even on easy

in minus:
1)twiichy combat in not twicher game
2) game is too hard on easy
3)instalation of original take half hour (pirate instaler did this in 5 minutes)
4) Worse Obsidian game so far as story and setting goes.

I won't say it's Oblibion it's not half as soulles and bland, it's good for what it is H&S with some light RPG elemenents. 6/10

Paperclip

Liturgist
Befuddled Halfling said:

Actually the powers aren't that exciting to use because they take too long to use/charge and a char can only use one at a time because of the universal charging/reset system. This "problem" is inherent in the party based system that they use, which makes a single character isn't that special. You modify your party setup when you want to "customize" - which is fine for some people but I don't quite really like it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Played it for a bit. Got pretty bored. Moved on.

Don't see why people complaint about the camera though.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Hmm, that's too bad.

After the brilliant MotB I hoped George Ziets would apply the same magic and skillz to DSIII again, but apparently if the Codex can be trusted, it doesn't get any better after the demo?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom