Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour - yet another Duke Nukem 3D rerelease

sullynathan

Arcane
is the mouse look as good as the DOOM releases?

Garrettt

Educated
"So help me Duke" guys we can hear from the end of the trailer that Duke is in trouble... we need to save him!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Jon St. John doesn't give a single fuck in that trailer, obviously not in a good way.

I don't think there's a single new line in the trailer (at best they nick one or two from other Duke games) so he didn't care 20 years ago either.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Jon St. John doesn't give a single fuck in that trailer, obviously not in a good way.

I don't think there's a single new line in the trailer (at best they nick one or two from other Duke games) so he didn't care 20 years ago either.

Quality sounds a lot better in the trailer, so either they re-recorded them (possible, since he recorded new lines) or they changed the audio so much he now sounds utterly bored.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Groovy! Duke Nukem 3D: World Tour Announced

Duke Nukem very nearly said, “It’s time to announce a video game and prematurely leak the announcement of the aforementioned video game, and I’m all out of leaks.” Very nearly. As rumoured, Gearbox Software last night announced Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour [official site]. It’s an expanded and revamped re-release of 3D Realms’ 1996 proto-Gone Home FPS, including a new episode and an (optional) 3D graphical makeover. What’s neat is that Gearbox have reunited some of the old gang, including level designers, a musicman, and of course the voice of Duke.

So! The base is Duke Nukem 3D (plus its first expansion), an FPS from 1996 with a wisecracking ’80s action-movie hero who’s mighty teed off that aliens have come to Earth to cause mischief and abduct our busty babes. Gearbox and Nerve Software are expanding that with a new eight-level episode visiting Amsterdam, Egypt, Hollywood, London, Moscow, Paris, Rome’s Colosseum, and San Francisco.

Original level designers Allen Blum III and Richard Gray (LEVELORD!) are returning for that new episode, which is a really nice idea. Also returning is Lee Jackson, who composed Duke’s iconic theme song Grabbag and will bring new music to World Tour. And yep, Jon St. John will be speaking new lines for Duke. Also fancy in this edition is developer commentary. Plus a 3D makeover which I don’t really dig because the lighting really jars with the game’s original style – but hey, it’ll have an option to toggle between that and the original look as we please.

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour is due out on October 11th, priced at £14.99/19,99€/$19.99. Duke Nukem 3D’s Atomic Edition, which contains the original game plus its first expansion, cost $5.99 on digital stores until it was pulled from sale. The Megaton Edition, which included more expansions plus a 3D makeover, was $9.99 before it too was pulled. The World Tour’s new content cost money to make, absolutely, but it’d be a shame if Gearbox didn’t eventually return Regular Plain Old Duke 3D to stores too. Recontextualising and expanding are fine but preservation’s important too.

For folks who’ve been out of the loop and are wondering why I’m talking so much about Gearbox: they bought Duke Nukem after creators 3D Realms collapsed, remember? Then it only took five years before that ownership was fully settled.

The big question is: will Duke keep borrowing lines from ’80s and ’90s action movies, or will he update his retro references to the noughties? You know, lines from films like 300, Planet Terror, Live Free or Die Hard, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, and Avatar.

“I see you” -Duke Nukem, 2016?

"Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour is due out on October 11th, priced at £14.99/19,99€/$19.99."

plRdc2J.gif

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
"We really do not want to make another Duke Nukem AAA game again and hope we can use this to pretend the audience isn't there anymore."

grudgebringer

Oh shit
Created by the original episode designers, Allen Blum III and Richard “Levelord” Gray!

New musical score for Episode 5 created by Duke’s theme song author and original game composer, Lee Jackson!

I can't believe they pulled Levelord out of his never-ending retirement to make some maps for this, wow.

On second thought, fuck everyone, I'm buying this, no matter what.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Oh shit
Created by the original episode designers, Allen Blum III and Richard “Levelord” Gray!

New musical score for Episode 5 created by Duke’s theme song author and original game composer, Lee Jackson!

I can't believe they pulled Levelord out of his never-ending retirement to make some maps for this, wow.

I can't believe it at all. Knowing the average douchebaggery of Gearbox and Pitchford, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they're just digging up old and discarded Levelord levels to use in this new episode, and then got his approval to use them while some in-house intern polishes up the map for release.

Grim Monk

Arcane
I'm really surprised at no mention of "remake for a modern audience", ie no "sexism" or bad language.

My first thought on them pulling the game was that they might "Current Year" it.
CpkjBf_WYAAZY12.jpg

We will have to see if this is simply a cash grabbing hack job or something worse...

How much was the Megaton Edition going for before it got taken down?
DNTPHC.jpg

Archive Source:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150901000000/http://steamcommunity.com/app/225140

Last edited:

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
jesus christ just make the 2001 Duke Forever into a playable game and release it is that so fucking hard
Actually, I think it would be. As I recall hearing, by that point, they just made a bunch of random shit for the trailer and nothing else.

tormund

Arcane
Oh shit

I can't believe it at all. Knowing the average douchebaggery of Gearbox and Pitchford, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they're just digging up old and discarded Levelord levels to use in this new episode, and then got his approval to use them while some in-house intern polishes up the map for release.
Or they just paid them so they can use their names for that sweet "made by original devs" cred.
This is Gearbox we're talking about after all.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom