Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour - yet another Duke Nukem 3D rerelease

Grim Monk

Arcane
BTW, you can bet that their new maps will contain :current year: political and meme culture references...

I'm sorry, what was that you were saying?

They are saying that the new references won't live up to those you posted...

Its an expectation that most "Current Year" one liners/memes will feel weak sauce and cringey:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1Vzg92DMev1

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
*watches video*

Stating "...made us remember why the shooter was so important" instead of "...made us remember how fun it was." - Check.
Playing with a controller - Check.
Playing BADLY with a controller - Check.
Doing stupid stuff like standing next to explosive things when enemies appear - Check.
No prior experience with Duke3D - Check.

Yawn.

garren

Arcane
Patron
*watches video*

Stating "...made us remember why the shooter was so important" instead of "...made us remember how fun it was." - Check.
Playing with a controller - Check.
Playing BADLY with a controller - Check.
Doing stupid stuff like standing next to explosive things when enemies appear - Check.
No prior experience with Duke3D - Check.

Yawn.
plus:
missing most secrets - check
playing on easy - check
running past ammo and explorable areas right next to him - check

tormund

Arcane
It's like he never played FPS with a controller in his life. But why even play it with a fucking pad in that case...
And why even get someone who at very best acts like he has zero experience with pre CoD/MoH FPSs.

m_s0

Arcane
This reminds me, why hasn't there been any leaks on 2001 DNF? Was it all smoke and mirrors?
Basically, yeah. Great teaser, but that game never existed - not as a whole, anyway.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I would even be happy with a leak from the Quake 2 engine version which also looked fun.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Anyone who doesn't know Hollywood Holocaust by heart does not deserve to get paid to review video games.

I just cannot believe how unprofessional video game reviewers are. No wonder they're so fucking entitled and bitchy. It's like going to a doctor who never went to medical school, has no interest in medicine, doesn't give a shit about your health, and the whole time you are in there fucking bleeding to death out of your eyeballs he just talks about how important and formative "ancient" medicine from 5 years ago was.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
So it turns out I was right, they had JSJ re-record all his lines in addition to recording new ones, hence why they all sounded flat as fuck to me. He sounds BORED. Also the sound mixing in that IGN video is all over the place.

Harpsichord

Arcane
They are saying that the new references won't live up to those you posted...

Its an expectation that most "Current Year" one liners/memes will feel weak sauce and cringey:
You're just apologizing for him:
Heh, I actually saw people mentioning how Borderlands humor is similar to Duke 3D. :lol:

BTW, you can bet that their new maps will contain :current year: political and meme culture references...

Because the humor is similar, it follows the same format. It's just using a different base. The original game was full of pop culture references relevant to the time. It would seem that "Gearbox's idea of humor" that everyone is making fun of is the same idea of humor that they appreciated about the original Duke3d.

But keep hating because it's new guys.

pippin

I don't know why people find the pop culture references to be that important to be honest. Those are like 3 or 4 lines per campaign. Duke rarely speaks.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
It's not the pop culture references that appealed to me with Duke, it's the general attitude of Duke that they portrayed: The wise-cracking one-liner action hero that shows no fear. But since video game designers only seem to have a 0.001 batting average when it comes to clever writing, they stole, borrowed and hocked almost everything he says that's worth a damn. They could get away with it 20 years ago...but just barely. You'd have to be braindead to even try that today...which explains why Gearbox is doing it.

One of the few lines from DNF that I remembered that conveyed the sense of the character I'm talking about, without being a pop culture reference, was when the tacked-on sidekick died a dramatic death somewhere in the third act. Duke's response: "Guess he won't be appearing in the sequel." (IMO the best Duke line from DNF was featured in a trailer, but cut from the game.)

Compare this to Caleb from Blood. He's not exactly wise-cracking (more like crazy as a fruitcake) but his one-liners have a more classic approach to them: Lines from stage shows and musicals. He's doing the same thing Duke is, but he's stealing from the old masters, not the current pop culture.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Everything about Duke is very much 80s action films, with the tough guy action film hero archetype and one-liners.
The problem is that you can't really add a lot of new stuff to that, because there haven't really been any good recent films like those, especially not with good one-liners.
I can't think of any at least. Jason Statham doesn't talk much. Keanu just says "whoa". No one talks in the new Mad Max. Dredd is just Judge McFrownyface through the whole movie. etc etc
Those who try are often more pathetic than cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0yKSNq-oLg

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Yes.

Not like that the way Shitbox does it is objectively worst and much more retarded. We hate it only because it's new. No other reason. No sir.

They could get away with it 20 years ago...but just barely.

They could get away with it even now. Gaming still isn't mainstream culture. It is a niche hobby now as it was then. Call of Duty and GTA selling 200 billion copies don't count. The gaming industry still isn't Hollywood, and writing for games still isn't a real job.

Last edited:

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
kTZL4PJ.jpg

:hmmm:

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
How can you defend something like this? Re-releasing a game with less content than the previous version on Steam for DOUBLE THE PRICE with a terrible mishmash of old and new audio (with the old audio sounding worse than what you currently hear with DOSbox) and the only thing it has going for it is eight new levels. The new renderer doesn't even look very good.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron

Interesting.

This suggests that there may be a deal in place that puts a 20-year waiting period on Duke-related shenanigans.

It also tells quite clearly that Gearbox will be giving gamers EVEN LESS value for their money if they buy this, AND opens up the possibility for 20-year old expansion packs to be sold as modern-day DLCs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom