Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour - yet another Duke Nukem 3D rerelease

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Sue them for fraudulent advertising, as "World Tour" amounts to Europe + Cairo.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
David Cage is nothing but a clown now. This is due to the relevance of the competitive multplayer market, the e-sports. Games as movies, the "cinematic experiences", is something that's now defended by a few indies and some guys in the mainstream scene, but they know they can't just call a movie a game anymore.

David Cage's work is really not like anyone else's though. Heavy Rain started off very nicely, but got bogged down with puzzles or whatnot, sure.

But Beyond: Two Souls has been pretty much the epitome of the barely-interactive-story genre. I don't know why it bombed. The actual story was involving, sufficiently well-written and varied, and was told engagingly, and acted well, too, which is all exceedingly rare in gaming.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
the old is new again

what's the point of releasing this other than ultimate cash grab? nothing is changed, anyone can play the old game

tormund

Arcane
David Cage's work is really not like anyone else's though. Heavy Rain started off very nicely, but got bogged down with puzzles or whatnot, sure.

But Beyond: Two Souls has been pretty much the epitome of the barely-interactive-story genre. I don't know why it bombed. The actual story was involving, sufficiently well-written and varied, and was told engagingly, and acted well, too, which is all exceedingly rare in gaming.
Except that isn't exactly correct.
There is nothing particularly unique about his work in the eyes of average modern gamer anymore. Telltale and Dontnod offer the same kind of minimal interaction, "emotional" cinematic adventure, in Telltale's case attached to all sorts of hottest mainstream properties. And you have variety of same kind of games from other studios, sometimes with equally high budget and the (increasingly less important) "prestige"of being a console exclusive, like Until Dawn.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Except that isn't exactly correct.
There is nothing particularly unique about his work in the eyes of average modern gamer anymore. Telltale and Dontnod offer the same kind of minimal interaction, "emotional" cinematic adventure, in Telltale's case attached to all sorts of hottest mainstream properties. And you have variety of same kind of games from other studios, sometimes with equally high budget and the (increasingly less important) "prestige"of being a console exclusive, like Until Dawn.

Telltale had something similar in quality in season 1 of The Walking Dead, and has failed to reach that height again. In barely interactive genre, it's all about the writing, acting, framing, and I regard Beyond: Two Souls as the apex of the formula. When something gets me to care, I know it's working. Very few games do, including the barely interactive genre.

I've seen Until Dawn on Youtube before... Life is Strange... all that jazz. They strike me as being stuck in the middling, "Heavy Rain" stage of development, while Two Souls has gone up a notch from that. As far as I am concerned, it represents "Cage-vision" with practically no flaws. If only other barely interactives lived up to this standard.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
you-can-only-say-wtf-so-many-times-before-you-give-up-and-start-drinking-701fa.png

Seriously, WTF was that?

A trailer made with God Mode turned on.

Heavily pixelated graphics mixed with giant High-Res letters.

Review scores plugged by game sites that closed down years ago.

Lame-ass Duke Nukem lines.

They'd have to pay me money to even play this.

HansDampf

Arcane

20€ for a new episode. New Duke lines suck. Randy Pitchford dev commentary. Old DOS sound quality better than 20th anniversary edition. Anti-consumer bs.
How unfortunate.
:dead:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Oh wow, a Serious Sam easter egg. Finally a comeback to the Duke Nukem easter eggs Serious Sam had...over 10 years ago.

Also, they purposefully made the game files incompatible with EDuke32.

Cunts.

Astral Rag

Arcane
http://hendricks266.duke4.net/stuff/e32wt_20161014.7z

Drop eduke32.exe and the contents of this 7z into your World Tour folder and launch! This requires r5899 or better.

What is supported:
All of the World Tour CONs, including the new enemy, boss, and minibosses.
8-bit parallax skies.
32-bit skyboxes.
Original VOC files.
Lee's new renders of the original music.
Polymer lighting added by the original mappers.
Normal maps for the original art. (For the time being, normal maps only work with r_pr_artmapping 0, for the same reason texture filtering is incompatible with the artmapping feature.)
Widescreen weapons and status bar.
New Duke voice acting. Use "setvar voice <value>" in the console to configure. 0 - 2016 voice, 1 - 1996 voice except during Episode 5, 2 - 1996 voice except new lines only
Developer commentary. Use "setvar commentary <value>" in the console to configure. 0 - off, 1 - on, 2 - show but don't allow playback
New touchplate settings: pal 2 is co-op only, and pal 3 is Dukematch-only. This is in addition to pal 1 being single-player only. Some Alien World Order maps cannot be completed in EDuke32 without my code to take care of this.
The new cstat bits used by World Tour to "ignore lighting and SSAO effects" are scrubbed so our engine doesn't interpret them using our meanings.

Known issues:
The Incinerator is unimplemented.
Multiplayer (blue palswapped) Incinerator pickups are not deleted in single player.
The Firefly and BOSS5 don't have any of the new projectiles.
Some breakable objects remain unimplemented.
I haven't added the Armor box to the classic mini-hud.
The episode 5 ending.

I've spent the better part of the past three days working on this, and I need to get back to my regularly scheduled programming. The original game is completely playable with the new additions. The new episode is mostly playable.

I am not interested in spending the time implementing the Incinerator or the new projectile(s). I welcome contributions if they meet my standards. I also welcome any and all feedback. I have not actually played the new episode beyond part of the first level, and the final boss level.

By all means, spread the word.

:incline:

pippin

eduke32 should NOT support this new version of Duke imo. Not for technical reasons, but for moral ones.

tormund

Arcane
Eh, this is more about making the new episode playable on a superior port that vast majority of players are using, same episode that was made forcedly incompatible with said port because Gearbox.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I see LGR's review is posted so I post another one

he [GGGmanlives] did not mention any issues about sounds. Someone mentioned it in the comments (yes, I read YT comments) and either play dumb or really have something wrong with his ears or head...

You know what old game got better sounds than his successor/sequel? Thief - Dark Project, who got better sounds than Thi4f.
Un-fukin-believeble

pippin

It's been said that this guy is a paid shill though. At this point in time it would surprise me more to find out there's youtubers who aren't getting paid for this.

tormund

Arcane
Problem with THIAF's audio was that their audio engine was a shoddy, buggy mess. Which tells a lot about just how unfit the devs were for a Thief game.
In this case. Greedbox intentional used sounds of lower quality... because Gearbox. And then you have those shit-grade sounds juxtaposed with crisp, loud new JSJ lines (which sound like he was drugged and took zero enjoyment from his job, but that's beside the point).

BTW, i just saw this: Randee's explanation for old expansions from megaton not being included in their edition

Even if he was joking, expansions being sold as DLC at later date is just the Gearbox kind of thing.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The new maps really look good, but they don't belong to the original set of episodes. It's more like a custom fan campaign. John sounds like he needs to take a nap and inject the T afterwards. New lines sound very forced. Also, the new samples and older one don't mix well together and you can recognize which is which quickly. Apart from illegal aliens invading San Francisco, I didn't catch any other references; maybe I'm just too
rating_oldman.png
. Incinerator as a new weapon is actually useful, unlike the expander in The Birth. The enemy is burning through some prolonged time and with a good timing in smaller rooms you can quickly gain advantage with it. The new aliens who use the same gun can be nasty in a large pack and they can shrink/re-shrink while using jet packs. Later on I just used pipe bombs or RPG on them just to make it quick. They look too much detailed compared to the old bestiary.

The first level is a nice warmup, but the next one are really something when you like to see a massive number of enemies compared to the vanilla. There is a plenty of ammo and boosters too. I didn't play many custom maps in DN3D so that is a new one for me. They seem to look huge and very open-like. The gameplay stays the same and that is the most important factor. The boss fight is very simple, even compared to the Stadium. You can just force the guy who uses the incinerator to try to fry you. I could easily block him in front of one of the Hollywood's letter. Other than that, it was fun to play through it. If Gearbox were cool guys, they would just add this episode and sold it for peanuts just to prepare a ground for new game. With that price tag, I would say they are out of their minds.

DFq2kdj.png

kDggw0d.png

CP5qhUW.png

ktovaXA.png

gXDixzU.png

uzmjEu5.png

4cDL0gq.png

tfLtI8v.png

vd4DI56.png

clZ5RAT.png

Z9My6G6.png

VMQcdi0.png

p7DWYtU.png

Sodafish

Arcane
Played the new chapter. The amount of ammo and pickups they provide is generally RIDICULOUS compared to the originals; in particular it's almost impossible to not always have maxed shotgun and chaingun ammo, and armour and atomic health pickups are a dime a dozen.

The new flamer weapon is highly lacklustre and not fun to use (its biggest sin), and the new Duke lines are phoned in. The new boss is also pathetic (just stay a little distance away from him and he cant hurt you at all).

Overall 4/10

sullynathan

Arcane
I tried this because I've had problems in the past with getting Duke to work with proper mouse look.
I have to say that it gets the job done and works well.
My big problem is the real 3D rendering that makes the game run below 25 fps which is utterly ridiculous.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom