Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup .018 Release

Unwanted

Endlösung

Unwanted
Lee's rapid deconstruction is prolly my favorite spell, loud though. Vehu loves blowing shit up. Petrify+Lee is lolz. Avoid quick monsters, wasps and shit...

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Stone Soup is alright, but nothing special imo. It's kinda fun in the diablo way, as in smash mobs, get loot, but not really in the dungeon crawling way. Levels are really large, open and mostly featureless so majority of the time you autoexplore, hold tab when you see monsters, pop teleport scroll on the first sign of trouble. In fact, you can probably get the 3 rune win doing just that.
There is also some plain tedious stuff like getting for resistances for certain branches, and plain retarded things like that spell which halves your HP.
I have no opinion on the whole removing stuff controversy, since I have no emotional attachment to the game. Some of it is good, some bad I guess.
Basically a turn based Diablo, but more brains, less clicks. Although the god system is great.
Play Brogue or Infra Arcana for dungeon crawling done right (which is what this genre should be about).
I loved Brogue, and hate StoneSoup. Can you tell me more about Infra Arcana?

Emmanuel2

Savant
Stone Soup is alright, but nothing special imo. It's kinda fun in the diablo way, as in smash mobs, get loot, but not really in the dungeon crawling way. Levels are really large, open and mostly featureless so majority of the time you autoexplore, hold tab when you see monsters, pop teleport scroll on the first sign of trouble. In fact, you can probably get the 3 rune win doing just that.
There is also some plain tedious stuff like getting for resistances for certain branches, and plain retarded things like that spell which halves your HP.
I have no opinion on the whole removing stuff controversy, since I have no emotional attachment to the game. Some of it is good, some bad I guess.
Basically a turn based Diablo, but more brains, less clicks. Although the god system is great.
Play Brogue or Infra Arcana for dungeon crawling done right (which is what this genre should be about).
I loved Brogue, and hate StoneSoup. Can you tell me more about Infra Arcana?

Not AMG but;
Infra Arcana is basically your classic roguelike ala Nethack, Angband, Moria, etc. but with very unique touches.

You have your dungeon of which has alot of mystery and oozes atmosphere, your tactical combat where half of the time you'll want to skip dangerous enemies (think Multi-hue Dragon in Angband but alot more of those) and when paired with sanity mechanic is just plain awesome, resources actually matter and are not abundant, a perk system, classes that play very different from each other and alot of other things.

There are times where you have to decide whether to lock a door down to make an escape by using an iron spike and risk the less but still very dangerous route, whether or not to use occult magic, use dynamite and risk alarming enemies (of which you really do not want) in order to kill something, have to fight illusions that your mind made up due to low sanity, etc.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
That sounds fantastic. AMG really managed to sum up what I liked about Brogue. It put "dungeon crawling" in the very front. Not mindlessly chopping down monsters in huge bland levels.

Thanks for the rec!

Unwanted

Endlösung

Unwanted
Im good at predicting my own death...
3J9PF3S.png

jungl

Augur
Casters in stone soup are too easy mid late game where I find the game too boring for me to continue. Never really liked the game design choices in this game like how DEX is simply way superior then STR. I enjoyed sword of the pit more despite it being incredibly unfair and difficult. Also Wazhack and tales of Majeyal. Stone soup is addicting but tedious game.

Unwanted

Endlösung

Unwanted
This is why Geomancer is so fun to play for 3 runes.
How long would it take to safely cleave through all of these nagas, archers, casters, etc. Not with Vehu!
IugBSvB.png

Shatter + Staff of Energy + Vehu =
UNLIMITED POWAAH!
uiAmKpt.png

Didnt move away to recharge mana, lost a bit only at the end, when Shatter only kills like 2 enemies per turn who are on the screen.
ZKrPv9V.png

With non geomancer high level spells you just dont feel like a God.

Grimnir

Novice
I used to play this game alot, then I dropped it around v15. They kept dumbing it down by "streamlining" anything required more thought than how to kill the next group of monsters.The game is too easy and shallow to hold my attention nowadays.

Unwanted

Endlösung

Unwanted
But DOS and POE do hold your very delicate attention, roffles. Not even Bladers Gay 1 was as a big a chore as POE. And the Summon and Invis spam in vanilla DOS has soo much depth.

Snufkin

Augur
Endlösung do you play GrEE? My best char atm was MfGl with glaive, died on lvl 13, score 25014. Not good i know.

Grimnir

Novice
But DOS and POE do hold your very delicate attention, roffles. Not even Bladers Gay 1 was as a big a chore as POE. And the Summon and Invis spam in vanilla DOS has soo much depth.

At least those games aren't constantly removing features and simplifying mechanics. What little depth the game had is slowly being chiseled away, turning it into a generic hack-and-slash.

Zdzisiu

Arcane

At least those games aren't constantly removing features and simplifying mechanics. What little depth the game had is slowly being chiseled away, turning it into a generic hack-and-slash.
To be honest, what were the features that they removed and that brought a reasonable amount of depth to the game ? Please do not mistake tedium for depth.

Snufkin

Augur
It does have big following tho. Also i think this game is quite addictive.. but not very good looking like Tome for example. Overall it's far from my favorites RL's but it is good enough for me.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I used to enjoy playing it, but it's been a while. I successfully finished it once, I worshiped the jelly monster and then everything became extremely easy.

Snufkin

Augur
TrTm of Chei is awesome once you get blade hands spell. Dmg is just amazing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom