Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Defenders

Multi-headed Cow

It's out now on Steam bros, get downloading! :M

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yep, secret midnight launch, just noticed. Don't think I'll play much now, just install and fiddle with the settings. From looking at the developer's forum seems like they'll have some paid DLC in November (derp) and various free DLC in about a week.

Multi-headed Cow

Fart, no kidding. Just started the game, was looking at the classes, and there are two locked ones in there. Barbarian and "Series EV".

Edit: WHAT THE FUCK NO TEXT CHAT? SHIT GAME SHIT GAME

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
There is text chat, default bind is tab but you can reconfigure it. I tried the first few waves solo and for whatever reason the game does not save my character information. Is there some option to do so in the tavern. Tried to make a character and just exit a couple of times and each time I restart the previous character isn't there.

Multi-headed Cow

Dunno what to tell you bro. I did online ranked (But private game so I could solo) and my character is still there. Can't take ranked to open and vice versa though I believe.

Wait, unless you're not clicking the thing where it says "Select your character, press start!". You have to activate that, then THAT brings up your list of characters. The 4 slots thing is just because you can do 4 player local MP I think. Mildly annoying it takes a few extra clicks.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah what I'm doing is click 'join' and it doesn't give me an option to select one of the old characters. Do you have to have completed a map first with one? Try to just make one, hit the tavern, then log out and let me know. Doesn't work online, either, wow this is really annoying. Seems like others are having the same problem according to their tech forum.

Definitely a problem with them or Steam as every time I exit and verify the integrity of the cache there are always 2-3 files corrupted. Guess I'll try a clean install.

Edit again: Apparently it's a Steam cloud error -- disabling is a way around it.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
How different is this from the version that's been out on Android for eternity?

Gerrard

Arcane
I imagine some of the people here will rage if TB ends up doing the voice for the innkeeper?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Only played about an hour so far and never played the mobile version but I imagine it's pretty much the same just a bit more fleshed out. Doesn't have a huge amount of maps -- maybe half a dozen but there are about five difficulty levels and it seems they will be adding more content as time goes on. Think there's a demo up. Looks like they're going to have a lot of technical issues for a bit... their website is currently down so no doubt they're being swamped. Could have avoided this by releasing on PC a year ago and tackling one major platform at a time. Also pretty disappointed they didn't work out the Steam kinks given all the time they spent dicking with XBLA.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's a tower defense mixed with ARPG elements -- if you don't like those genres I imagine there is no appeal.

Achilles

Arcane
So, if I like Tower defence games but not action stuff, shoud I get it bros?

Multi-headed Cow

Welp. If you play online with random people they'll ninjaloot everything as soon as it appears which is a bummer, and that's assuming you can play online since Trendynet seems to be shitting all over itself. Can't even play solo games with my ranked dude.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Seems that not picking it up now was the right choice. Will wait for a sale to check opinions then and possibly reconsider.

Gerrard

Arcane
Oh yeah, that went well.
2urqvx1.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The ARPG elements. As a tower defense game it isn't particularly strong. That is, there doesn't seem to be a lot of strategic path building on the current maps. It's mostly about synergy between heroes/towers. Fun enough to play solo but, as MHC mentioned, you won't get full enjoyment unless you play with two or three other people you know. Random games are probably just more of a headache/ninja fests.

It's also a fairly 'grindy' game. The currency is mana in which you use it to build towers, use abilities, and you can bank excess amount and use it to buy weapons, pets, etc. in the shop. This is a very casual game but I enjoy it because all I was looking for was a quaint TD with shallow ARPG elements. Is it a good game? Highly subjective. Either you'll like it or loathe it. There's a demo on Steam. If you have Steam-a-phobia there might be one on the other DD sites.

Deakul said:
Awful console port with a clumsy interface.

Only interface that really wasn't optimized for PC are the item/tavern menus. As far as the controls you can hotkey abilities instead of accessing them through the wheel interface.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Played some more and as you get to the fourth or so map tower placement does become a bit more strategic. I believe there are around eight or so maps total right now but I've taken a break as the TrendyNet servers are fairly unstable. But I'll stress again, the game has that free-to-play MMO vibe to it as far as leveling/item hunting, etc. If you don't enjoy stuff like that, you won't enjoy this game.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Oh. The fucking game won't run because it can't install some 3rd party dev kit bullshit. Cute.

Edit: Now it runs but crashes randomly. Got as far as starting a game online after making a character and it crashed.

Edit2: Crashes offline as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom