Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Kings - new dungeon crawler on Greenlight

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Does this have actual melee combat, and not swing dance combat? It almost seems like that....

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
ITT -- People falling all over themselves to rack up KKK by hating on Grimrock. Bonus Kreds to Derptavius for name dropping Wizardry.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Does this have actual melee combat, and not swing dance combat? It almost seems like that....

I dunno. Hopefully.

If this has actual melee combat (like Dungeon master, of course there are some creatures you do NOT want to melee at all with), then I am very interested. If it is just swing dancing Grimrock combat then nevermind....

sser

Arcane
Developer
Grimrock did that genre fine, but I still couldn't stomach it when it went full-on combat toward the end.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
ITT -- People falling all over themselves to rack up KKK by hating on Grimrock. Bonus Kreds to Derptavius for name dropping Wizardry.

I'm afraid you have misunderstood, Metrosexual. I don't hate Grimrock. I dislike the real time blobber genre; it should have died 20 years ago.

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
If this has actual melee combat (like Dungeon master, of course there are some creatures you do NOT want to melee at all with), then I am very interested. If it is just swing dancing Grimrock combat then nevermind....

For what it's worth, the creator said this on the Grimrock forums.....

"It will be real time combat like the good old Dungeon Master, as well as LoG (wich i enjoy so much too !)."

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

For what it's worth, the creator said this on the Grimrock forums.....

"It will be real time combat like the good old Dungeon Master, as well as LoG (wich i enjoy so much too !)."

If they can actually pull that off... :takemymoney:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Grimrock did that genre fine

How exactly? Dungeon Master is still much better (combat mechanics wise).

Solid dungeon design. Difficult puzzles here and there. I don't expect that very often, so if another game is going to approach a Grimrock-"ripoff" I have my doubts they can do what Grimrock was actually good at.

Mortmal

Arcane
I want Wizardry-esque, not Grimrock-esque.

There's something i dont understand with the codex , everytime a dungeon master clone is announced theres some guys claiming they want a wizardry clone instead, and its brofisted by many. However i notice little to no discussion when a turn based blobber appears. For exemple i dont see those people, or barely, in the xulima thread while its completely on par with said classics and theres more content to discuss about than in POE beta.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
When this is released you'll be able to do a marathon session in which you climb steadily up the dungeon hierarchy by playing Dungeon Keeper, Dungeon Master, Dungeon Lords, and then Dungeon Kings.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

There's something i dont understand with the codex , everytime a dungeon master clone is announced theres some guys claiming they want a wizardry clone instead, and its brofisted by many. However i notice little to no discussion when a turn based blobber appears. For exemple i dont see those people, or barely, in the xulima thread while its completely on par with said classics and theres more content to discuss about than in POE beta.

Well, to be honest I can't really keep track of all the new stuff that is coming out, and my back log of old older games is too big to play new games anyway, at least if they are not released on GOG. But I get the impression that most new "blobbers" are trying to cash in of the success of Legend of Grimrock.
Also, it seems I have even got the Xulima thread confused with the thread about the old Ultima like Ultizurk games...although I see I have already commented on it having too mcuh Bloom. I guess I have to check it again.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Grimrock did that genre fine

How exactly? Dungeon Master is still much better (combat mechanics wise).
Efff ewe and Dungeon Master. Every post on this topic from you is Dungeon Master this, Dungeon Master that. The true king of this series is Eye of the Beholder and it's combat mambo.

I'm afraid you have misunderstood, Metrosexual. I don't hate Grimrock. I dislike the real time blobber genre; it should have died 20 years ago.
I understood perfectly, just pointing out what an idiot you are for going into a thread about a real time blobber and expecting the combat to change. It is what is, it's a classic genre, if you don't like... too fucking bad?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The true king of this series is Eye of the Beholder and it's combat mambo.

I never ever had to do any combat mambo with Eye of the Beholder, except for the end boss in the first one. Because you can actually melee in Eye of the Beholder, and Dungeon Master. Keeping in mind where that one fucking corner is that protects the sides and backs was great, and retreating there to fight.

Mortmal

Arcane

Well, to be honest I can't really keep track of all the new stuff that is coming out, and my back log of old older games is too big to play new games anyway, at least if they are not released on GOG. But I get the impression that most new "blobbers" are trying to cash in of the success of Legend of Grimrock.
Also, it seems I have even got the Xulima thread confused with the thread about the old Ultima like Ultizurk games...although I see I have already commented on it having too mcuh Bloom. I guess I have to check it again.

Do not stop at the presentation, wait... That means you dont even read crooked bee and felipepe review ? Thats a serious crime, and you could be put in trial for heresy...If you dont read old school rpg reviews, they will go back to publish anime ones with dating and waifus.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I understood perfectly, just pointing out what an idiot you are for going into a thread about a real time blobber and expecting the combat to change. It is what is, it's a classic genre, if you don't like... too fucking bad?

Oh well, it could have been worse. I could have been whining about a game already released 15 years ago having RTwP combat insted of being Turn Based. Fortunately nobody is that retarded.

Do not stop at the presentation, wait... That means you dont even read crooked bee and felipepe review ? Thats a serious crime, and you could be put in trial for heresy...If you dont read old school rpg reviews, they will go back to publish anime ones with dating and waifus.

I'm too busy actually playing games that I don't have time to keep up with all the news.
Too much Incline these days; I can't keep track of it all! Even real time blobbers is an incline after the Dark Decade (2002-2012).

Last edited:

SwiftCrack

Arcane
When this is released you'll be able to do a marathon session in which you climb steadily up the dungeon hierarchy by playing Dungeon Keeper, Dungeon Master, Dungeon Lords, and then Dungeon Kings.

:lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom