Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Rats FAQ

Arch-Vile

Learned
Guys, I need Aod-Compliant portaits. Where find?

Someone made a guide on Steam that explains how to use the ones from AoD:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=793277063

Downloading the file containing AoD-portraits here[rpg-portraits.ru]. Unpack archive to the directory \Steam\SteamApps\common\Dungeon Rats\user_portraits. Start the game. Play.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
Playing solo, trying to win second fight! :outrage:

Good fucking luck. I reloaded 50 times on a block based build and eventually give up. Fucking sword guy.

So much easier with a dex build.

Erm, it looks like they switched constitution to become the game's defense stat. str and dex no long improve block and dodge.

It does, but the effect is mild.

I have 10 dex and 8 con with maxed dodge and I still can't dodge 1/2 of the blows. It all comes down to RNG honestly.

Good fucking luck. I reloaded 50 times on a block based build and eventually give up. Fucking sword guy.

So much easier with a dex build.

Actually I made it, but solo vs Barca team - this is REAL hardcore.

Barca team as fine for me honestly, mostly because that one archer shot another of his comrade dead, consistently if you stay in a particular square.

Gulnar

Scholar
So... the game is awesome.
Having a party instead of a single guy makes the TB combat system much more enjoyable - especially with weapons like 'donut' range spears and crossbows - and the little nods to AoD are even better. So far, i've reached the first gang and i'm battling through the river, middle difficulty, with a 8 cha / 8/8/8 physical stat dodge spearman. Companions are the crossbow guy from the first fights, the old mercenary you get from Barca gang, and the hammerman you get at the beginning.
This said, i have some "complains" which really aren't, they're just considerations:
1) the game is less smooth, graphical performance wise, than its predecessor. I can understand that this is mainly because there more fancy things like the river in the caves, or the magma river, and so on. Also, my laptop is a old-as-fuck shit and i'll be changing it soon, so it's more than normal that i have some fps drops.
2) Achievements. I don't get achievements. I mean, i got only the "Moving up in the world". No "Kill or be killed". Is that normal?
3) Fuck ants, and more than that, fuck scorpions. They don't hit too often, but when they do, especiall if they hit the old-mercenary-with-5-cost guy, they chunk him for half life, thank to his low poison resistance.

Still, 10/10 so far. GOTY.

Tigranes

Arcane
Started a Psychopath run with standard Dagger/Dodge + 1 companion (Marcus). Took three or four tries but got Barca's team. Game 2 ez, pls rescind VD KKKs

Quick thoughts:
  • The existing dynamics re. swords, etc gets a welcome increase in complexity with party members, but it remains to be seen how difficulty is balanced across all the builds and party sizes. Doesn't mean much if I did OK in a couple of fights.
  • Monsters, really? So do they have power attacks, etc. or do they just have standard hit and then special property, e.g. poison? I'm skeptical any of them will be as interesting as human fights, but we'll see.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
Barca team as fine for me honestly, mostly because that one archer shot another of his comrade dead, consistently if you stay in a particular square.
Well, if I run into corner, he shot me from behinde their backs.

The square isn't a corner, is head on.

a
xXx
_o

a is archer, o is you, X is barca. a tries to shoot you but hits the x on the left.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
You mean if not moving anywhare, and move 1 square to Barca? Or stand still.
It doesnt help too, I tried. Also if bowman hit someone two times, that someone start to attack bowman, that's good. )

I can imagine that if you kill Barcs, you can search his body in combat, find a key, and open door in combat, then maybe... if it possible at all.

hivemind

Is the game doable with solo on cca max 3 reloads per fight if you have the fight tactics figured out or is it just a reloading autism contest after a certain point?

Goral
Eyestabber

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I can tell that I realoaded fight with big skorp+skorp many times till I rised dodge at 1 point. Then won from first attempt.

Mozg

Arcane
Does each fight give you a set amount of SP that gets divided between your dudes?

As in, in a four man team, does everyone get Fight SP/4, a three man team SP/3? Or does everyone get a set amount of SP independent of team size?

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
Is the game doable with solo on cca max 3 reloads per fight if you have the fight tactics figured out or is it just a reloading autism contest after a certain point?

Goral
Eyestabber

I can answer that question.

No. I don't think so. The reason is that unlike AoD where high defensive rating can get you through pretty much everything except 1 or 2 fights, in DR past midgame, even with max def, you still get hit half of the time.

Also since they introduced facing THC bonus, expect flanks to hit more frequently as well.

This game is not intended as a solo game given how fair the mechanics are(as in no one is really beyond overpowered).

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
rating_oldman.png

No shit. I will be 50 when the CSG comes out.

valcik

Arcane
Hurry up and push it out of the door whilst you're still kicking, grandpa!

:troll:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
@Vince
Wouldn't you consider an interview with Matt Burton? You can always wear a ski mask. Or you could be interviewed by sstacks in a radio interview (I assume they would be interested). It would help with the exposure of your games, it helped Hannah & Joe (Whalenought Studios) and Dejan (Stygian Software). Unless it's not your face you don't want to reveal but your voice (or both).

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
It's not about the anonymity (the whole thing started when I had a full time job and a proper contract preventing me from managing or running other companies and while I wouldn't call working on a game in my spare time running/managing another company, it would have been subject to interpretation and would have been brought up constantly). I left my job 3 years ago so it doesn't matter anymore but I've been promoting AoD as Vince for years and I'm used to it now.

As for the interview, I don't like podcasts and such. I respect Matt for what he does but I've never watched any of his videos (or any of the KS video updates or youtube videos or any other stuff of that nature). Not my cup of tea, I guess, so I'll leave it to those who actually like it.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's not about the anonymity (the whole thing started when I had a full time job and a proper contract preventing me from managing or running other companies and while I wouldn't call working on a game in my spare time running/managing another company, it would have been subject to interpretation and would have been brought up constantly). I left my job 3 years ago so it doesn't matter anymore but I've been promoting AoD as Vince for years and I'm used to it now.

As for the interview, I don't like podcasts and such. I respect Matt for what he does but I've never watched any of his videos (or any of the KS video updates or youtube videos or any other stuff of that nature). Not my cup of tea, I guess, so I'll leave it to those who actually like it.
Try listening to podcasts. It's something entirely different than stupid youtube videos.

sstacks

Arcane

Totally understand but you're welcome to come on the show if you ever change your mind.

I hear very good things about Dungeon Rats.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom