Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Rats released

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I found handcrossbow only in my first playthrough, couldn't find it in my other 2 runs. Where is it (or who has it)? Which fight?

No fight, Hieron has it.
Oh, that's why, on solo you can't trade with him which complicates things for a single PC (not that I'm complaining).

Use nets/bolas, find chokepoints, position yourself so that at least one enemy will be in line of fire and some of the arrows will hit the opponent and not you.

Allow me to be more specific. Elder worms.
Figure it out yourself, I've answered like 20 of your questions and you still have more and you've pirated the game if what you said is true. Not cool.

anus_pounder

Arcane
There's no way MP difficulty is only as hard as AoD, is it? Maybe I'm crazy since I haven't play AoD for quite a few patches, but I don't remember any enemy (final boss excluded) in AoD who could reliably hit a maxed dodger or blocker. Certainly not the case here.

Skall

Learned
Enjoying it so far, but that's probably because I played through AoD multiple times and the underlying systems are very similar. Good re-use of assets as well; glad it streamlined the development (at least I'm assuming it did considering the turnaround).

A few small issues I encountered so far:

Typo in "They guards..."

Not actually floating in mid-air, just a camera issue. Had these happen a bunch during map transitions while using follow mode, e.g., camera seemed to be stuck inside a mountain and spinning it around didn't do anything. Switching between characters usually helps to get around these issues.

Toughest battle so far has been against Reinard's crew. Little tip: have your fastest character throw a Liquid Fire Vial between the Alchemist and the Basher when the fight begins. This will keep them at bay long enough to take out the three opponents in front.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
it seems archers are alot stronger here too >_>

they are harder to dodge, and seems to hit harder. in AoD, according to my experience, ranged people are an afterthought in fights because how easy they are to dodge. like they would miss 70% of the time.

now they hit like 70% of the time

anus_pounder

Arcane
It seems everyone hits with more regularity than in AoD. Maxed dodger or blocker was essentially invincible in AoD, now maxed dodge means mid-game + enemies will only miss 1 out of 4 times. Or 2, if you get lucky.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
yeah, plus archers have those scary AP arrows. i remember in AoD with 10 block, you blocked like 90% of the hits. except by the few super high level NPCs like end game arena, agathoth, etc

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Toughest battle so far has been against Reinard's crew. Little tip: have your fastest character throw a Liquid Fire Vial between the Alchemist and the Basher when the fight begins. This will keep them at bay long enough to take out the three opponents in front.

I threw liquid fire on the entrance but I went for the alchemist first instead. By the time it extinguished I had already killed the alchemist and the other guy outside the camp and baited reinhard and his other two men all the way to the bridge where I proceeded to kill them one by one(there was space for only one person on that bridge). Was playing solo though - that's probably uneccesary on party mode.

Toughest fight for me so far was against the enforcer beyond the big bridge. At first I tried to take on them one at a time on the elevator, but the archers and the alchemist fucked me up, so I baited them across the bridge instead(yes, I love baiting people onto bridges). This one took me a few tries because the fucking enforcer would not stop landing critical strikes on me, and one wrong move and the alchemist throws a bomb, knocks you down and it's game over since there's a shitton of strong enemies in that fight.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Use nets/bolas, find chokepoints, position yourself so that at least one enemy will be in line of fire and some of the arrows will hit the opponent and not you.

Did you manage to beat the game on solo after the difficulty balance?

I got to the emperor fight but had to stop playing after dying once. I managed to kill everyone but the archer and the axeman on the left side. The archer killed me before I could reach him.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy

Did you manage to beat the game on solo after the difficulty balance?

I got to the emperor fight but had to stop playing after dying once. I managed to kill everyone but the archer and the axeman on the left side. The archer killed me before I could reach him.
I've only tried solo for a while, currently I'm experimenting with a 4-5-4-8-10-9 build and it's very hard (definitely harder than on solo after nerfing). I'm playing with Marcus only and on rock bottom only last 2 scorpions remain but I have to use completely different strategies than usual. With only 7 AP I can't use chokepoints because before I'll reach them I'll die from the attacks :D. It's quite fun although I'm not sure how far I'll get. If I get Ismail and Roxana it should get easier but getting there might be impossible (for me).

agris

Arcane
Patron
Any tips on how to deal with the 2nd Roxxxxxxana fight? I don't want to kill her, fyi. I've got Marcus, the crossbowman (Artudas or something) and I'm a 6-9-4-9-4-8 bow/craft/alc PC.

hivemind

There's no way MP difficulty is only as hard as AoD, is it? Maybe I'm crazy since I haven't play AoD for quite a few patches, but I don't remember any enemy (final boss excluded) in AoD who could reliably hit a maxed dodger or blocker. Certainly not the case here.
i think it's the new facing bonuses

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Is there a way to actually control which way you are facing (after initial placements) though? Cause it happened quite frequently that someone would wind up facing the wrong direction for me. And I could not figure out how to turn manually.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

they are harder to dodge, and seems to hit harder. in AoD, according to my experience, ranged people are an afterthought in fights because how easy they are to dodge. like they would miss 70% of the time.

:incline:

Mozg

Arcane

Have your character with the best defense hold an infantry or tower shield and make sure he's the closest guy to the archers - they don't seem to have the AI to pick off the guy holding a two-hander a step behind the guy with a tower shield. The vs. ranged on shields still works for dodgers with no block skill so Marcus can do it.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd say blockers are still largely invincible when facing a bowman/xbowman. I defeated the constructs by basically lining everyone up behind my main character, who had 10 block and a tower shield. Roxana would headshot the robots, Silas would poke the ones who got close, and my blocker just... blocked.

That said, how do you change facing mid-combat?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom