Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Dungeon Siege 3 Reviews

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Dungeon Siege III; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>Obsidian Entertainment's <strong>Dungeon Siege III</strong> is out for a while, so here have you a few reviews. Let's find out if the game lives up to its *critically acclaimed* predecessors.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>GameZone found the game to be right up their alley, <a href="http://www.gamezone.com/reviews/item/dungeon_siege_iii_review_-_360_pc_ps3/" target="_blank">rating it 8.5/10</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>The combat is fun, but it&rsquo;s not without its faults.&nbsp; The camera does some quirky things when playing on one screen with two players.&nbsp; The camera will over-rotate, and sometimes during attacks you won&rsquo;t be able to see who you are fighting, or where one of the players are.&nbsp; It never led to a death for me, but it led to annoyance.<br />Each character is customizable&mdash;to a degree.&nbsp; When you level up you receive points to assign into a combat ability, a proficiency (which allows you to add special effects to your combat ability), and talents (which give you passive improvements).</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Gaming Illustrated <a href="http://gamingillustrated.com/dungeon-siege-iii-review/" target="_blank">enjoyed the spectacular visuals</a> of the game on the PC, rating: 83%.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Dungeon Siege III is a really solid game and while not a total linear step forward for the Dungeon Siege III franchise, it&rsquo;s a fun game that offers tons of great action and combat. The graphics are outstanding and the audio in the game has been done really well, too. The storyline won&rsquo;t grip you and become the central focus of the game, but it&rsquo;s just good enough to keep the game together. The gameplay is solid, offering good controls on all platforms if you use a controller and if you are on PC, it&rsquo;s also recommended but utilizing a keyboard and mouse turned out to be fine after some getting used to. The multiplayer turned out to be the most disappointing aspect of the game, but overall, we really liked Dungeon Siege III and thought it was a really fun game to play.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>The idea of clicking a button thousands of times per hour <a href="http://oxmonline.com/article/reviews/xbox-360/a-f/dungeon-siege-iii" target="_blank">has a lot of appeal</a> for OXM, 8.5/10.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Of course, any good action-RPG shines as a co-op adventure, so Siege offers friends a chance to kick the A.I. ally to the curb and take up arms by your side, either online (four players) or same-screen (two). Sadly, the otherwise fun times are marred by scaling difficulty that makes the campaign significantly harder in multiplayer, a fixed camera height that&rsquo;s a bit too close to the action, and an odd restriction that requires everyone to stay on the same screen together, even when playing on separate consoles.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>We also wish the game had fast-travel options as well as a world map to give it a proper sense of scale, and that camera issues didn&rsquo;t occasionally put the view in an awkward position. Nevertheless, Dungeon Siege III is among the finer ways you can dungeon-crawl on your 360 these days, and if the developers can iron out its quirks, a sequel (which this game sets up nicely) could be epic.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#17577">RPGWatch</a></p>

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
The first paragraph conveys why I outgrew this sort of game when the arcades died.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Those scores are from the official Obsidian site, no wonder they are the best ones.

The game ranks around 75% on gamerankings, which is still OK.

DaveO

Erudite
My reliable source has the user reviews around 40%. In my opinion, they were accurate for a previous game so I see no reason to doubt that DS3 is Dumb Shit 3.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Shannow said:
They probably all played with a controller.

I played both with k&m and with a pad. And I must say that it's really more fun with k&m. Controls are quite smart actually, considering the actual focus of the game (fast paced game, stance system...). DS3 tries some (small) things new in terms of gameplay (considering it's a h&s), so the control scheme also has to be somehow different. And in terms both of control and gameplay, it's surely better than previous DS, Titan Quest or Sacred. I know it doesn't say much...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
DaveO said:
My reliable source has the user reviews around 40%. In my opinion, they were accurate for a previous game so I see no reason to doubt that DS3 is Dumb Shit 3.
I assume the PC fanboys gave it a 0/10 since it is not identical to the previous games.

J_C said:
DaveO said:
I assume the PC fanboys gave it a 0/10 since it is not identical to the previous games.

Herpa Derpa?

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wow, I didn't want to bother, but since self-proclaimed "game journalists" seem to indulge into major rimming and slurping once again, here are my very true impressions of the game, in a nutshell.

The game looks gorgeous and there is an evident attention to details in it. The gameplay is alright although extremely repetitive (and not in a diablo-esque, nice way).

That said, everything else is meh: the story is bland (at best), skills are too few and all the same (even cross-class, they kinda do the same thing), companions are uninspired, npcs are blah (well, so are the four main playable characters, story- and background-wise), combat is tedious and feels gratuitous. Levels are corridors, and there's the "glittering path GPS" thingie anyway. The economy is fucked up too: I never had to buy a single item from any merchant. No C&C, no real questlines, no nothing.

Oh, the audio sucks too, the voice acting sounding really weird (read "retarded").

At first I sort of liked the absence of potions, then I found out that monsters drop mana and hp orbs, and there are so many leech/regen skills that it's disgusting and make the use of potions useless.

Dying is virtually impossible, as your companions will revive you whenever you die, unless they're dead too.

All this taken into consideration, the game being extremely short (less than 10 hours, doing every possible sidequest) actually becomes a plus, instead of being a flaw.

Verdict: shit.

Well, from the reviews and the gameplay vids, I have two comments to make:
(a) the game seems far better than I thought it would be; and
(b) I have absolutely no interest in buying it, for the same reasons I've been saying all along.

I honestly didn't think that Obsidian could successfully make a commercial/mainstream hack-n-slash. Turns out I'm wrong. But, frankly, I just have zero interest in that sort of game, and it is all the more annoying when you think that there are developers there who can make games far closer to the type I am interested in.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's 'okay' for a digital download title and a joke for a full release $50 title. If they priced it at $20 people would be more forgiving in their criticisms.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
micmu said:
Dung Shit has fanboys? :shock:
Suprisingly, yes. It seems there are people on other forums who think that the previous games were great action RPGs.

GMonkey

Scholar
J_C said:
micmu said:
Dung Shit has fanboys? :shock:
Suprisingly, yes. It seems there are people on other forums who think that the previous games were great action RPGs.

The interesting thing is that the DS3 forums were essentially dead prior to the demo's release with no one giving a flying fuck. As soon as the demo is out everyone seems to be a hardcore fan of the originals ready to rage at the decline of these supposedly deep, acclaimed action RPGs.

:retarded:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom