Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Dungeon Siege III Review

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
IronicNeurotic said:
abnaxus said:
Roguey said:
DS3>Divinity 2, seriously. Better character system, combat, controls, content, and combat animation despite all those things being rather meh. Marginally worse level design (the hallways are narrower). Oddly enough I prefer DS3's constrained camera to Div2's sloppy mess but MMV. Div2 is an especially wretched game to play. It's cute and funny though.
1/10

No troll and I agree with him. (Well, I'd argue the charachter system)

Well I just finished DKS a month ago and I was struck by how limited it was in many ways compared to the hype here. Roguey nails it, though I have some sympathy for Black Cat's position as I can see that DS3 is pretty marginal on the good-crap scale and it depends on personal preference more than anything. I liked DKS as a game, but as a ARPG it was pretty shit. The only really difficult thing I faced in DKS was my initial insistence on melee character and dividing stat points between intelligence and strength and dexterity instead of just putting everything into intelligence, and keeping all the charms and enchantments 'for a rainy day' thinking I'll need them sometime in the future. In the end it didn't matter once I discovered the joys of magic missile spam. In contrast, I've actually died a few times in DS3 already and though limited, I'm actually making use of a few skills rather than just the one.

bhlaab said:
I dunno, I think their big picture intention with DS3 was to a) create a solid engine of their own that fits their needs with less bugs and b) get a top-down rpg released as a full priced retail game

they accomplished both and neither goal is really a waste of time

That's what I thought in the end. Their engine is really quite nice and you can see that it would make a good NWN2 type of RPG, maybe even TB if inclined. DS3 in a way seems like a technology demonstrator for the engine that just so happens to be its own game. Helps recoup some of the development costs I guess.

circ

Arcane
I'd really hate to play an actual RPG made in Onyx. Actually I wouldn't even play it. Did you notice the sky in DS3? Probably not because the camera didn't allow it. This was done to make the engine run smooth. Of course another developer with coding chops would have just learned to optimize properly but Obsidian just cuts content as that's the SLAM DUNK way. And add to that spell effects courtesy of Windows Paint. Some people were also impressed by the big city that's your hub towards the end. Not sure what's so impressive about copy pasted tiles with clashing colors, or NPCs made using palette swaps. I could go on about the extremely repetitive content in terms of combat and skills too and retarded story. Hey guys, Avellone wrote Lionheart, why don't you go play that.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
circ said:
I'd really hate to play an actual RPG made in Onyx. Actually I wouldn't even play it. Did you notice the sky in DS3? Probably not because the camera didn't allow it. This was done to make the engine run smooth. Of course another developer with coding chops would have just learned to optimize properly but Obsidian just cuts content as that's the SLAM DUNK way. And add to that spell effects courtesy of Windows Paint. Some people were also impressed by the big city that's your hub towards the end. Not sure what's so impressive about copy pasted tiles with clashing colors, or NPCs made using palette swaps. I could go on about the extremely repetitive content in terms of combat and skills too and retarded story. Hey guys, Avellone wrote Lionheart, why don't you go play that.

I don't see the sky in any Ultima game either or most RPG's of the top down variety, and Lazarus and the U6 project did by all accounts a fantastic job on the DS1 engine. I'm sure Onyx can do everything fine. It's not hard to add a skybox if needed. Besides, why would they need to render the sky in a H&S? Diablo doesn't, Titan Quest didn't, Divine Divinity didn't, most don't unless they allow for a really close up ground level camera angle that no-one ever uses anyway. Making up rubbish that Obsidian can't code when the game looks as good as a H&S game has looked and runs 1600x1200 maxed on a 5 year old machine clearly proves otherwise. That they reused assets has NOTHING to do with the quality of the engine, so what's your point there?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
circ said:
I'd really hate to play an actual RPG made in Onyx. Actually I wouldn't even play it. Did you notice the sky in DS3? Probably not because the camera didn't allow it.
Circ cannot into isometric RPGs. :retarded:

circ

Arcane
Except there's nothing isometric about DS3. It's just a really narrow FOV with mobs popping seemingly out of nowhere. Having it show a skybox would atleast increase the FOV a little bit.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Someone should petition Blizzard to include a skybox with Diablo 3 because I don't think I've seen a single in-game screenshot or video with one.

Edwin

Scholar
Worst Obsidian game ever made....but yeah they stayed true to the formula,I tried DS2 back in 70 and all I remember about that game is that its name was Dungeon Siege 2 so it was probably 1 of those horribad games

turul

Augur
I predicted to myself that the full game gonna suck, after playing the demo and the previous DS games. :smug:

bhlaab

Erudite
turul said:
I predicted to myself that the full game gonna suck, after playing the demo and the previous DS games. :smug:

i thought the demo sucked too until i found out that using an xbox controller makes the game far more playable, and katarina is a very fun character to use imo

Achilles

Arcane
Roguey said:
I already wrote over 400 words explaining my reasoning. I'm sorry but you'll have to do a bit better than three to convince me how I'm wrong in my assessment.

I understand and to be honest, I know that "disputing" an opinion with just a few words is a pretty assholey thing to do. I'm truly sorry about that. I just can't muster the will to write a lengthy post about Dungeon Siege 3 as I don't think the game is worth it, so I just voiced my disagreement. I do respect a different opinion though.

Radisshu

Prophet
circ said:
I'd really hate to play an actual RPG made in Onyx. Actually I wouldn't even play it. Did you notice the sky in DS3? Probably not because the camera didn't allow it.

GTFO of the Codex plz, you can see all the sky you want IRL :thumbsup:

SkyrimSucks

Novice
It's rumored that Onyx will be used for the Wheel of Time game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom