Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeons and Dragons Online - Fair Codexia Dead - DDO NEWs Thread!

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Well I guess that settles that once and for all.

Good luck with the guild.

Varvarg

Educated
someone gift me a game and ill play with you. varvarg1

e: cheap bastards

Last edited:

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
So I rolled up a Cleric and started playing. It's impossible to make a character that isn't hideous, and this writing and voice acting is some of the cringiest I've ever seen. My first impression is that this is not a quality production.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Don't judge DDO by its shitty introduction and tutorial. They are indeed cringeworthy. Only once you've leveled up a couple of times on Korthos and made your way to the city itself do you start to see the beauty of the game.

It really shines when you've got a good group of six people together and you're running through all the quests. Cooperation, coordination, the DM voice-overs, the overall feeling.

It used to be a lot better in its early days. Things seemed more dangerous and less artificially made grindy and ridiculous. It was more "pure", almost like actually playing in a D&D group back then.

Even when we had the guild going last time some of that still seeped through. But then luka quit and Lhynn couldn't contain his daily buttrage and it all fell apart.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
  • DDO Bonus Days bring you +20% Heroic and Epic XP, now through July 4th!
  • Double Bonus Points is here! Get Double Bonus Points through July 9th!
  • The Weekly Coupon gets you free Cannith Essences x25 with the Coupon Code Craft4Cannith, now through July 6th!

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Would be nice if ~3 people could log in, the guild renown bonus is based on "active" accounts and we've dropped to 3 (6 gives the best bonus and then it drops a little after that).

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Anyone know the expected release date of the new expansion?

Aothan

Magister
yea I was just wondering the same, found out years after release the character system is far more extensive then what I had assumed

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
yea I was just wondering the same, found out years after release the character system is far more extensive then what I had assumed

No, at release I did not think it was good at all. I disliked the game a lot. I went back after two expansions and the skill trees and epic level whatever trees and it was fucking awesome and just keeps getting better.

Aothan

Magister
oh I see, well the coming expansion uses the Ravenloft setting so Paladin would be a useful class, but at this time I'm more inclined to try Rangers for a while, not sure if the class has the Favoured Enemy ability or how it might be implemented but as a usual rule both Undead and Vermin are reliable choices

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
oh I see, well the coming expansion uses the Ravenloft setting so Paladin would be a useful class, but at this time I'm more inclined to try Rangers for a while, not sure if the class has the Favoured Enemy ability or how it might be implemented but as a usual rule both Undead and Vermin are reliable choices

Its not as easy as that. There are so many variables and weird shit that it goes way, way beyond Paladins are good against undead and rangers have Favored Enemies. That was vanilla DDO. There is now just crazy shit and more crazy shit. One big thing is people who are willing to fuck around with equipment and consumables a lot to eek out all a character can have versus lazy slobs like myself who go for building it in. If a class has negative level immunity through trees like Paladins and can get it early enough to not have to be hassled a ton by that annoying shit I'll put a ton of thought into race. If not, I go Blade Forged or Warforged. I'll spend good money replacing that 1st paladin level too. Fuck you beholders, you can't suck away my levels you cocksuckers.

Lhynn

Arcane
Nope, i may take a break from warframe to come back to ddo for a bit. buttttt ill do it on my server, not moving back.

logrus

Augur
Project: Eternity
I'm really starved for some AD&D game, so I'm considering starting to play DDO. I've read a little and I really dig the character building options.
On the other hand I'm totally not into "MMO" part of the DDO, so no raiding and probably very limited grouping (like once a month).
Is it viable to treat DDO as a single player game and have fun? I'm OK with not having top-tier gear, if only I can craft/buy some decent enough for survival.
What class would you recommend for such playstyle, assuming I'd get the cleric hireling? I'm attracted to Artificier, is it viable choice for solo play?
And last but not least, what is the server of choice for Codexians?

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
A lot of stuff can be soloed even on high difficulty settings so you should be fine in Normal, especially with an Artificer. Artificers also can disable traps etc. which is quite useful for solo. We have a codex guild on Argonnessen although the activity is p. low (I burned myself out a few months ago, would gladly join for a dungeon run or two though).

There's also an event now where you can choose to start as lvl 10 character, seems to be available to anyone.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
I just installed this expecting a standard MMO with garbage like cooldowns, and I have to say I am extremely impressed at how they implemented the 3.5 rules into the game. I wasn't expecting it to be faithful at all and I was positively surprised. Also the concept of failing a quest, or telling an NPC how you're gonna approach certain cituation and then having to do it that way, the traps and shit. I'm really liking it enough to consider subscribing (there don't seem to be a lot of incentives to do this compared to LOTRO for example).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom