Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Dust 1947 — Weird War 2 with zombies, bewbies, and gorilla warfare

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
After the fiasco with Battlefront and the Operation Babylon Kickstarter, it looks like Dust Studio is back on track once more, and the new starter sets (and expansions) are looking really good.

Dust-1947-Cover.jpg

IMG_6623.jpg

13895468_636556029844911_584437024095061765_n.jpg

IMG_9181.JPG

Some background info for those who don't know about it: Dust 1947 (previously called Dust Tactics) is a Weird War 2 war game, where Hitler got assassinated, and some alien artifact was found that allowed the world to build lasers and shit. As such, you've got zombies, gorillas, Tesla cannons, and all kinds of gender/race stereotypes crammed into a WW2 setting. It's fairly simple as far as game mechanics are concerned, and games on a 4'x4' battlefield can go by quickly.

Anyway it's fast becoming one of my favourite tabletop games. What I really like about this game is that it's still very tactical in spite of the simplicity. The cover system is pretty well-handled, and when you get loads of terrain, there's a lot of manoeuvring involved, particularly when you have armoured, melee and ranged units mixed up. Some terrain is destructible too, so that's pretty cool.

Only problem I can think of is that the game gets a bit swingy at times with smaller army sizes, due to 1/3 chance to hit on every die. Not really a complaint if you play on bigger battlefields tho.

Overall, :4/5:/:5/5: IMO, and might appeal to those looking for games with mechanics less dependent on unit abilities, and more on positioning. Oh yeah and the minis are gorgeous.

Last edited:

Ebonsword

Arcane
I've been playing this game since the original Operation Blue Thunder box set back in...2010?

I'm still not sure I like the current rule set better than the original. However, the minis do look great. Easily the best prepaints I've ever seen.

P-AX231B-W2.jpg

AL234-W2.jpg

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Agreed. The premium terrain pieces are also fantastically done, but no surprise considering it's Vincent Fontaine. Too bad he left DUST Studio and joined CMON.

I never played the FFG edition of it. How is it different?

Ebonsword

Arcane
I never played the FFG edition of it. How is it different?

I think that the first edition is a bit more chess like. The main reason for that is that most units move much slower. The standard move rate is 1, with a march move of 2. So, you really had to think through your moves because it was much harder to correct bad positioning.

Also, the first edition didn't have the improvised weapons rule. So, Armor units were a lot scarier because, if you didn't have a weapon that could damage them, you were screwed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom