Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dustbowl - Fallout'y Adventure

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Saw this game on steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/367110/

looks kinda neat, an adventure with some rpg mechanics thrown into the mix. Anyone already bought it and has some feedback on whether its worth buying?

Silva

Arcane
Tempted to get it. But Id rather have another codex fella get it first and emit an opinion.

Come on Metro, give us a hand here. Im a poor third-world dweller, man.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
bought the game, impressions so far:

main framework is indeed that of an adventure, though I like that is has the same viewpoint for all rooms, something which drives me crazy in most adventures with its changing perspective

combat is like a little arcade game, reminds me of golf games, you hit a button, and a pointer goes left and right (very fast) on a target meter, you hit again and it stops either in a miss area, hit area or critical hit area, the next round the enemy goes, then you again, until someone is dead

you can target main body, extremities or the head area, if you for example target the head area, your critical area on the target meter is smaller, but if you manage to stop on the critical area the hit is deadlier

you don't get anything like exp for a won fights, only items

basically no personal stats in the game (apart from HP, hunger and thirst), stats are entirely expressed through items

munition is rare and you can easily run out

enemies are randomly encountered from an enemy pool in areas where monsters turn up

so far its fun, but I haven't gone far yet and I can imagine the combat can be annoying for people who prefer it less arcade-ish

Last edited:

Atavismus

Learned

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Hi guyz!

I'm Atavismus, Dustbowl's coder.
I'm glad someone of RPG Codex noticed our baby (we are a 2 members team + a musician).
I planned to open a topic on this forum but, as we mix p'n'c, rpg and survival, I was not sure where hehe.

Silva, if you still wondering about some opinions here is some:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/dustbowl-a-wasteland-adventure/forum/thread/they-talk-about-dustbowl

I'll be pleased to discuss about Dustbowl with you all.

Cya!

Any chance that this will get a Linux version? Looks pretty cool and all, I like the post-apoc Stalker vibe :)

Atavismus

Learned
Thx JudasIscariot.
Well, it's planed, but we have to check how the engine we use (AGS) handle it.
For now, we are focusing on improving the game.
Then we'll try to release a linux and a mac version.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Thx JudasIscariot.
Well, it's planed, but we have to check how the engine we use (AGS) handle it.
For now, we are focusing on improving the game.
Then we'll try to release a linux and a mac version.

Here's a start :)

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=46152.0 if you use AGS 2.50 and above you should be able to make a package out of it :)

There's this as well: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/blob/master/debian/README.md

I think I'll try this myself. Do you sell a non-Steam version of the game?

Atavismus

Learned
Thx "Patron" :)
Well, I already read about it but never tested myself and I only trust what I see. :D
We uploaded a non steam version on Humble, it already should be available but it seems lost in Humble tubes...
We contacted them about it, I'll kepp you updated.
Mind, the Humble version will also include a steam key.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Thx "Patron" :)
Well, I already read about it but never tested myself and I only trust what I see. :D
We uploaded a non steam version on Humble, it already should be available but it seems lost in Humble tubes...
We contacted them about it, I'll kepp you updated.
Mind, the Humble version will also include a steam key.

Cool, I'll wait for the Humble version then :) Thanks!

Atavismus

Learned
Hi all!

We released version 1.3 with more content and a far bigger map.
(Original map was a bit more than 1x3000x4000 now it's 6x1500x1500).
Also, as it's steam sales, it's 20% cheaper.
Two good reasons to try our game imo :)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/367110

Mind, still no news from Humble Store...

I leave you with one screenshot, tell me if you want some more ;)

db_13_10.png

Atavismus

Learned
Ok :)
Let's go!

db_08_10.png

Each NPC has a portrait (so low res characters have a face)

db_07_10.png

Our small craft system, simple and efficient, it allows you to turn junks in useful gears

db_11_10.png

The map: wander in the wastes, explore, loot, fight and get random encounters

db_17_10.png

The hero's look changes depending of the equipped armour

db_17_11.png

Bunker, caves, labs, hospital, factory, wastes, etc.: we varied a lot environments

Everyone, feel free to ask me questions, I'll be glad to answer :)

AetherVagrant

Arbiter
Patron
I dismissed it after some described it as a "side-scroller", which on checking these screens may have been a misapprehension. I thought it was going to be MadMax/Terraria, but this looks interesting, like Wasteland 1 and a LucasArts adventure had babies.

AetherVagrant

Arbiter
Patron
Oh dear, I need to take my account info off Steam...I keep being unable to resist paying for things it never would have occurred to me to buy pre-codex...but when you read people's stories, comments and progress its hard to not want to throw money at them.

Its like if a homeless vet regales you with a whole Band of Brothers tale and acted it out for you instead of just asking for 5 bucks. after that performance and work how can you refuse?

Atavismus

Learned
Thx Jaesun and AetherVagrant!
Ahaha AetherVagrant :D
I sincerely hope you'll like it.
Feel free to discuss about it here or on steam (you can add me there too).

You are right: Dustbowl view and gameplay are like point'n'click and we added elements of survival and rpg.
So you have to eat, drink, sleep, cure yourself, get gear, buy/sell/craft stuffs.
There are loot, npc, quests and combats.
Our goal was NOT to make something revolutionnary, but tell a solid and interesting story in a p'n'c and make the player feel the danger of a post-apocalypse world: scrounge, recycle and fight to survive.

There is an old alpha demo available: it's a bit rough and out-of-date, but people can get the whole idea:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/dustbowl-a-wasteland-adventure/downloads/dustbowl

Well enough chit-chat for the moment, but be sure I'll be around to answer any question. ;)

Cya!

Atavismus

Learned
This thread is basically two shills smiling at each other.
Darn! You are right! Someone too nice can't survive to apocalypse!
Even if I'm new here and humble and that's only my first commercial game, I'll be trve evil arrogant now :argh:
*Cough cough* Let me try...
Hey n00bs! Hope you like real games and are not too weak to handle retro game difficulty!
Dustbowl doesn't scale to your level kids!
Pick permdeath or go to hell with Spermy Crush!

Convincing?^^
More seriously, in my mind (and code), the game was more realistic, harsh and even punishing, but my colleague balanced all this and made it fun and he was right imo

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I've played it for 2-3 hours. Mixed feelings per usual.

Pro
- Nice combination between an adventure game and a rogue-like.
- The story is interesting. I'm actually hooked on it.

Cons
- Food and water price is too high. One pistol is worth two sodas !?
- Never hit the special middle line during combat. I don't think I will ever hit it.
- C4 quest from HUB is bugged. I could not get the reward from Moore (if there is one).
- Respawning mobs are annoying. I cannot move between 2-3 rooms without a fight. The subway is still not "safe" even if theoretically I've installed the turret.
- The world map implementation must be fixed. Jumping from one screen to another is absolutely no-go.

Question:
- What is the difference between hitting different body parts?
- Is the game speed influencing the speed of hunger and dehydration?
- Are you planing more updates?

Edit: Don't get me wrong. This game is good but it needs some polishing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom