Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dwarf Fortress

This might have already been mentioned, but it is so awesome, it bears repeating. Dwarf Fortress does emergent humor like no other:

One time, Tarn Adams was debugging the game and saw cats dying in huge numbers in taverns. He thought it was some bad bug, but it turned out to be simply emergent gameplay coming out of the game's many systems. Taverns had a simulation of spilled drinks, where alcohol was spilled onto the floor. Feet/paws were simulated to pick up substances on the floor/ground. And cats were simulated to lick themselves, including their paws. So they were all dying of alcohol poisoning. :)

Old One

Arcane
It's the most fun I've had with a roguelike since Omega a long, long time ago. Interestingly, Omega was also unfinished.

I've figured out that generating a world you like is extremely important, so now I have a pretty good one. It's large with a history of 1050, and the tinkering I did with the advanced settings resulted in nice, gradual biome shifts. Also, the civilizations exist in clusters with some distance between them. For example, the human civ I've started in has two towns and a large number of hamlets all bunched together in a river valley. It's surrounded by wilderness, and to get to the next civ you have to go on a long journey.

Unfortunately my cougar-man got so injured he couldn't stand up anymore, so I retired him in a tavern and made a hyena-man, which is my favorite character so far.

Old One

Arcane
I have a couple of quick questions about DF. These mostly apply to Adventurer Mode, since that's what I've been playing, but I'm curious about how they work in the larger game as well.

First off, politics is a little...unfathomable to me, at least so far. Is there a way to defend my civilization and/or expand its borders? I'm asking because I'm currently playing as a member of a really small civ surrounded by outlaws and bandits. It seems like I just conquer a town or a hamlet and found a new organization, or join an existing organization - but how do these organizations relate to the larger civilization?

The second question is similar to the first, except that it's about religion.

Finally an unrelated question with no single right answer - how long do you let your worldgen run? I've been liking the results of 4000+ years.

Perkel

Arcane
This might have already been mentioned, but it is so awesome, it bears repeating. Dwarf Fortress does emergent humor like no other:

IT also writes best smut stories as well. I read once on some forum don't remember where about how dude run away from vampire for a while which behaved weird as once he get close to him it didn't attack him but run away to repeat it time after time.

Well at some point he said fuck it. Sneak up on vampire and hatched vampire to death. Well after did was done he checked body and it was like young girl. For some reason he fired up legends and checked up on her.
Apparently she was vampirized like year ago after some battle in her village which was razed by elves. Somehow she survived to be later nabbed by vampire. From that point she killed small animals and only small animals.

So basically this little girl was vampire but never actually hurt anyone and when she met player she didn't want to kill him, probably fighting with urge to drink blood and running away constantly at the same time trying to meet with player. And he killed her in cold blood.

:negative:

Perkel

Arcane
I have a couple of quick questions about DF. These mostly apply to Adventurer Mode, since that's what I've been playing, but I'm curious about how they work in the larger game as well.

First off, politics is a little...unfathomable to me, at least so far. Is there a way to defend my civilization and/or expand its borders? I'm asking because I'm currently playing as a member of a really small civ surrounded by outlaws and bandits. It seems like I just conquer a town or a hamlet and found a new organization, or join an existing organization - but how do these organizations relate to the larger civilization?

The second question is similar to the first, except that it's about religion.

Finally an unrelated question with no single right answer - how long do you let your worldgen run? I've been liking the results of 4000+ years.

1. You can actually help your civ. Just move along with army and when you meet enemy try to kill them. Though your effectiveness might be little as we are talking about armies here battling each other. As for expanding borders it is not up to you. Game currently doesn't support you making choices for places you control nor you have any ability to influence various people on who to attack etc.

2. ?? What do you mean by that ? Expanding faith ? I that is impossible in adv mode as religion spreads through new towns who have temples etc. Though you might desecrate altars and sometimes reap fun from that.

3. The longer the world the longer history it has the more stuff in it the way less wild world is the stronger titans/forgotten beast are (but way less than at start), and sometimes world can come to a halt where some faction wins completely. So there is no right answer. Imo if you want to play adv mode. Instead of vanilla you should try Mythos of Ramrock DF which is precisely focused on adv mode and adds new races and shitload of interesting stuff for adv mode. Generally more stuff to do.

Old One

Arcane
The longer the world the longer history it has the more stuff in it the way less wild world is the stronger titans/forgotten beast are (but way less than at start), and sometimes world can come to a halt where some faction wins completely. So there is no right answer. Imo if you want to play adv mode. Instead of vanilla you should try Mythos of Ramrock DF which is precisely focused on adv mode and adds new races and shitload of interesting stuff for adv mode. Generally more stuff to do.
So far worldgen is what I do the most, I would say. It's fascinating.

I think for now I'm going to stick with the world I made yesterday. It has this one really interesting area - it's like an immense basin surrounded by mountain ranges and there's a huge river running through it. It's quite far north, just a short distance away from the far north Dwarf civ where I started my new Polar Bear Man. I noticed there was an elf civ and a goblin civ in the basin, and they seemed to be at war, but by the time I stopped the history (about 3100 years or so) they had both died out.

I wondered what happened, so I travelled there with my polar bear, and it was quite surprising. I think the mountain ranges have affected the weather, because the whole basin gets slammed with blizzards constantly. It was a real pain moving through there with almost no visibility. I think the elves and goblins either died out or left. It would be a lousy place for a civ. It's a desolate, wet, frozen swamp with constant snowfall and a large number of empty elf and goblin settlements. It's much worse than the area around my starting dwarf civ, and that's all the way up near the arctic.

So basically this little girl was vampire but never actually hurt anyone and when she met player she didn't want to kill him, probably fighting with urge to drink blood and running away constantly at the same time trying to meet with player. And he killed her in cold blood.

:negative:

This is a great argument for a graphical interface for DF. There is probably a way to look this information up even before attacking, but it's not very convenient to do while playing. But if the information was presented grahically, it would be very natural.

I have high hopes for Japa's 3D front-end in Unity.

Perkel

Arcane
You will need to wait few decades then when it will be able to display such information.

Old One

Arcane
Frankly I don't mind the interface. It reminds me of what games were like in the 1980s. If you stick with it long enough to memorize all the keys, it becomes easy enough to use.

Inventory management could use some attention though. That I'll grant.

Perkel

Arcane
I think my personal most fun moment was when i managed to tame alligators because i thought that moat with alligators will be amazing counter to invasion forces right ?

Invasion starts enemy is at the door and all fucking alligators run the fuck away in fear.

On other hand i once had problem with fucking apes on savanna biome constantly looking for a fight with my dwarves.
I redirected a bit river and area near river became all you monkey you can eat bufet for wild aligators.

Casual Hero

Augur
From the newest Steam update:
The current labor system is now a large departure from the old DF. In the old one, narrow labor assignments, like 'miner' or 'gem setter', had to be set manually on every dwarf, and often new players would have no idea why a workshop task was not being completed, or why a building wasn't being constructed. Now you still need to have the correct resources, but the jobs will be done by anybody available, starting with the most talented.
This is a huge change! This even sets it apart from what RimWorld does.
You might note that this takes away from of the nuance of the original system, but the whole steam post goes into some detail about how Toady is adjusting the mechanics to work with this system and not against it.

He always said he wasn't going to use spreadsheets for assigning jobs, and now we are finally seeing it happen.

First gut reaction screams "dumbification for masses".

Second reaction, after bottle of beer, Tarn doesn't exactly strike one as a gold digging fortune chaser, so I will give him benefit of doubt for now.

Casual Hero

Augur
I recommend reading the full post, because he does acknowledge that this simplifies it a lot but he is supplementing it with new systems that hopefully give us back some of the control.

I recommend reading the full post

Then why didn't you link the full post? You think googling Steam + Dwarf Fortress while having to spell all of that out on your cheese covered keyboard with the space key glued by said cheese to the bottom is easy?

dehimos

Augur
I have no problem with this, I use Therapist to assign jobs and understand what is happening.

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
It's been a solid decade since I last played this slop. I'd fire it up to see what a decade of updates has added, but it's probably just the ability of dwarves to get hangnails.

PS. Since Chris Chan is in the news lately... I want to broach this situation as gently as possible, but do you think Tarn would ever incest his retarded brother to lose his V-card? It's got shades of Chris Chan written all over it.

Casual Hero

Augur
I'm just going to assume that was a terrible joke and move past it.
I think it would be for the best if we kept the focus of this thread on the game and mechanics.

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
That's exactly the thing. It's suspicious that it already isn't a game mechanic. Since every third dwarf is already a cock-hungry faggot, why hasn't Tarn tried to incorporate incest into the game mechanics? As the Chris-Chan episode shows, it's very common in lonely middle-aged internet personas like him and Tarn Adams. Tarn is hiding some secret shame, that's why. Threetoe could be in danger.

Incantatar

Cipher
There should be a mod that uses an old version of DF and only adds selective changes to the game. When I look at DF today and back then, it lost quite a bit of charm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom