Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DX:HR - Worth a replay?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
~Slightly different lines of dialogue~ is par for the course. I don't really see the original as having significantly more narrative branching than HR ("Stay out of the women's bathroom Adam/JC" "Malik/Jock/Paul you're alive/dead!") You're always going to the same places doing the same things for the same reasons, the difference is in the dialogue and your playstyle. A shame that HR disproportionately rewards the stealthy takedown hacker playstyle over all others.

Kaol

Educated
I don't rate the game particularly highly if i'm honest. Hacking minigame is enough to stop me wanting to ever playthrough again.

DraQ

Arcane
~Slightly different lines of dialogue~ is par for the course. I don't really see the original as having significantly more narrative branching than HR ("Stay out of the women's bathroom Adam/JC" "Malik/Jock/Paul you're alive/dead!") You're always going to the same places doing the same things for the same reasons, the difference is in the dialogue and your playstyle. A shame that HR disproportionately rewards the stealthy takedown hacker playstyle over all others.
This.

And you can always replay it with different loadout and playstyle - HR encourages you to stick with few weapons and upgrade them.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
So what's a sequel to a prequel supposed to be? The original game?

They need to just make it it's own alternate reality rather than still trying to fit with events in the first game.

And they actually outsourced the boss battles? :lol: What the fuck, that's retarded.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
You're all faggots.

I've replayed it, and found much more stuff on my second playthrough. So, unless you've used a guide and scourged through the whole game the first time around I would say go for it.

While you're at it, play the original, it's even better.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Examples?

Oh and I've already played the original five times. It was sweet but it has to end somewhere. :cry:

garren

Arcane
Patron
More Deus Ex is always good. Say what you want about Human Revolution, while not being nearly as good as the original, it was decent enough to warrant a sequel. Hopefully they'll learn from the mistakes of DX:HR and don't fuck the the rest of the game in the process.

DraQ

Arcane
So what's a sequel to a prequel supposed to be? The original game?
Remake of the original game.
:troll:

And they actually outsourced the boss battles? :lol: What the fuck, that's retarded.
I think they admitted that much.

Also, one thing that really made me chuckle:
14e5bat.jpg

I really enjoy it when developers admit their own fuck-ups (in a self depreciatingly humorous manner) rather than being puffed up douches incapable of even entertaining the thought that their game might not be embodiment of perfection.

Kaol

Educated
Its no better than Invisible War in my opinion.

I'm indifferent to the idea of a sequel, i don't view the game as an abomination but it's no masterpiece.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Bullshit. Its gameplay systems are generally less dumbed-down, it has a way better UI, and most importantly - the game engine isn't a fucking piece of crap. I swear, Invisible War is probably the clunkiest, least satisfying "shooter" I've ever played, even next to the original Deus Ex. Human Revolution at least gets the basics right. Yay broken ragdoll physics and animation, lack of location damage except headshots, ugly lighting, stiff animation, load screens every 2 minutes, etc.

Kaol

Educated
Bullshit. Its gameplay systems are generally less dumbed-down, it has a way better UI, and most importantly - the game engine isn't a fucking piece of crap. I swear, Invisible War is probably the clunkiest, least satisfying "shooter" I've ever played, even next to the original Deus Ex. Human Revolution at least gets the basics right. Yay broken ragdoll physics and animation, lack of location damage except headshots, ugly lighting, stiff animation, load screens every 2 minutes, etc.

I found everything about DXHR dumbed down. Invisible war wasnt particularly good either. It did have a better plot and final level though.

joeydohn

Savant

I found everything about DXHR dumbed down. Invisible war wasnt particularly good either. It did have a better plot and final level though.

What was up with DXHR's final level, was that outsourced too? I thought they were going to show me a kill count to make me feel bad for killing civilians (since it was avoidable) but nope it ended with the worst boss fight in the game then a choose your own ending.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
IW is fucking horrendous. I bought it for $2.50 on a sale to see if it was as bad as people say... it is. I couldn't continue after three or four hours. As watered down as the character customization is in HR it's even worse in IW. The level design is fucking atrocious thanks to the console limitations.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The project is based upon an existing IP that is a well known and respected action/adventure title, with elements of choice and stealth within the gameplay. The future iterations of the franchise intend to really take advantage of the new platforms coming in the next two years to provide an experience with unparralled realism, depth and consequence for player action and choice.

Ohh snap. They go for the C&C this time.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The back of the HR box has "EVOLVING CHOICES AND CONSEQUENCES" written on it. Goes well with DX's "THE CHOICES ARE YOURS AND SO ARE THE CONSEQUENCES."

Deleted member 7219

I loved DE:HR. I'm planning to do another replay soon, going to try to sneak through the entire game (no fights, except those you are forced into).

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I loved DE:HR. I'm planning to do another replay soon, going to try to sneak through the entire game (no fights, except those you are forced into).
Except boss fights, the entire game is rigged towards sneaking ... which means that there is not challenge what-so-ever. Enjoy.

DraQ

Arcane
Except boss fights, the entire game is rigged towards sneaking ... which means that there is not challenge what-so-ever. Enjoy.
Ironman the game on max difficulty.

Vids or it didn't happen.
(Also, DX1 wasn't terribly hard either).

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Are you talking to me? Cause I don't see any point in a discussion:
1) predefined enemies routes,
2) abundance of hiding positions,
3) exploitable sticky cover
are nullifying any kind of difficulty level. Ironman or easy, it doesn't matter.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Human Revolution is harder than the original, at least on the hardest difficulty. It's funny because the regenerating health makes it seem like it'll be easy, but the fact is you need it. You die in a couple of hits, enemies have great aim, they patrol more intelligently and are very effective with alarms on making things shitty for you, and most importantly, no health or energy bots. That makes a huge difference really.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer

I beat the game on hard difficulty in less than 5 hours, ghosting almost every location (except the last level where I just ran past/PEPS'd everyone). It's a cakewalk if you know where to go and all the alternate routes etc.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I enjoyed the self-imposed challenge of getting all those ghost/smooth operator bonuses without the use of the silent movement or invisibility augs. Other than that, not particularly difficult, but "no challenge whatsoever" is hyperbole. Stealth games are about observing patiently from a safe distance, coming up with a plan of action, then executing that plan perfectly. If you don't find that rewarding, then don't play stealth games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom