Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DX: The Nameless Mod

Jonas

Campfire Cabal
Developer
MetalCraze said:
It's a goddamn internet forum in Deus Ex. A setting based on a forum I guess quite a number of people doesn't even know.
Well yes and no. The characters are named from people on that old forum (which doesn't even really exist anymore) and the places were inspired by a consensual fiction we all dreamed up back then, but references to that old community are far outnumbered by references to other games, films, books, and music, as well as Internet and pop culture as such, and none of those references are necessary to get in order to understand how the setting works or what's going on in the plot.

Let me put it another way, have you ever been to Sigil, the City of Doors? I'm fairly certain you haven't, yet did you enjoy playing Torment? Everything you need to know about Sigil is given in the plot, same way that everything you need to know about Forum City is revealed gradually as you explore it and talk to people. If you just can't muster any interest in that setting, that is of course a valid criticism, but I don't know if it's something we could've done anything about :)

Admiral jimbob said:
Responding with "well next time we'll just make a generic space marine story like Halo would you like that better" did come across as pretty petulant.
Yeah I guess it did. I've just encountered that knee-jerk "eww something different" reaction far too often now, so I've become more than a little tired of it. I guess I was projecting :wink:

Mackerel

Augur
Well, I linked those videos for laughs, the statement preceding them is hyperbole. However, if your going to be so thin skinned about having anyone come down on your mod then don't put in such horrible lines or things like lollerskates, because I'm sure as hell going to make fun of it. I've just never been a fan of "internet humor", so it pretty much ruins the experience for me. But then, I'm just one guy, and my awesomeness isn't rated OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAND!

Jonas

Campfire Cabal
Developer
Mackerel said:
However, if your going to be so thin skinned about having anyone come down on your mod then don't put in such horrible lines or things like lollerskates, because I'm sure as hell going to make fun of it.
Conversely, if you're gonna act all offended when I come back at you with a bit of polemics, don't make fun of my mod :lol:

Mackerel

Augur
Sorry, if I gave you the false impression I was offended, I just tend to have the need to clarify my position when I feel something I wrote has been misinterpreted. Judging by the sense of humor present in your mod, I wasn't really sure if you were capable of recognizing my post as a jibe. :wink:

Jonas

Campfire Cabal
Developer
Admiral jimbob said:
oh god please tell me it doesn't use that kind of reference
Not really. There is one in the FAQ on our website though - it was written when the mod was almost done, and we were all going slightly insane by then.

Jonas

Campfire Cabal
Developer
Oh wait we do have a lolcat on a computer monitor in one of the levels, but it's an easter egg, and it's mostly there because I love cats. We're not that big into memes, they change too frequently to be of any use in a several-year project like TNM :)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Even with the forum references I still really enjoyed this mod. It is by far, the most professionaly done mod for any game.

Grim Monk

Arcane
I'm now playing this Mod, and I got a question for you guys.

Its my first playthrough (Difficulty: Punishing) (Style: Simi-Pacifist), and I was told to rescue Silver Dragon from the World Corp Parking Lots.

The problem is that all the World Corp Guards don't become hostile, even after I start Tranqing/Stunning some of them.
It feels like I'm :( metagaming/cheating...

I tried looking for a ways of getting him while avoiding the guards altogether.

Considering that (quest giver) King Kashue had keys to them on his desk, tried exploring the sewers.
Found a bunch of stuff, most which seemed like I should have found only later on in the game...

Also found the duct leading to the Sub Level of World Corp on the Green parking level, but its still of no help in getting Dragon out.

I refuse to read the walkthrough, but feel like I've slipped hopelessly of track.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Talk to Dragon.

Huh o_O?

That's the first thing I did.

After I tell him that I'm rescuing him.

I get three options:
Tell Him to Run for the Exit
Tell Him to stay in place.
Tell Him to follow me.

I'm going for a pacifist approach, don't want to simply run out of the building with him while shooting/setting guards on fire.

deuxhero

Arcane
The pacifist option is the same as the rescue mission in the original game: Tell him to run and block the shots with your body.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
:necro:

Finally got around to playing and completing this so it's now time for Roguey Impressions: The Definitive Opinion.

First the elephant in the room: Yeah, the whole forum-in-joke thing didn't bother me, except in how the setting falls apart when held to any kind of scrutiny. Okay I can buy that I'm playing as someone role-playing in some Second Life-esque forum, but even with the internet being "serious business" it makes no sense why people would put up with the shit they have to in this forum. Why would anyone keep logging on to a forum where they're stuck underground with only a cat for company for two years? Or actually having to work mundane jobs for "money" to live in the forum? On the upside, Narcissus acknowledges it's all fake.

When it comes to system-improvements, I like how the scarcity/cost of multitools and lockpicks makes upgrading them past trained worthwhile. They also cribbed one of the few good ideas from Shifter by making the laser sight wobble within the firing cone. I didn't try fists out, though I imagine it's better than swimming. Being a non-murderer, my weapons of choice were the crossbow with tranqs and flare darts, the prod, grenades, and the new EMP gun and rice-bag launcher. It's too bad augmentations didn't receive any improvement though, other than the ability to upgrade with redundant modules and making the use of the power recirculator free and always on.

The first hub starts off with all the pain of a typical amateur mod: the level is way too big for its own good (a problem that thankfully only really applies to downtown and the corporate sector), and it's loaded with tons and tons of text (unfortunately a problem that stays). The cargo cult modders should have analyzed the New York, Hong Kong, and Paris hubs, not to mention the dialogue length, from Deus Ex and considered why they were created the way they were. I ended up spending three hours walking, talking, and reading before I even saw any combat, and Chris Avellone will tell you from experience that that's not the best way to hook someone into playing your game.

Furthermore, the sewers in the corporate sector must have been designed extremely poorly on purpose to discourage you from exploring them, because I have no idea how anyone could think including that map was a good idea. I'm glad they're completely optional.

Other than that, map design is pretty great for the most part, excepting the linear crap with the renegade AI. That level also climaxed with an infuriating mandatory sliding puzzle which I hated very much. Then they repeat that puzzle again at the end, except that one was much easier and I solved it in minutes so I didn't mind as much. But yeah, other than the annoyances I've mentioned, these were some fine levels and I enjoyed quite a few of them more than the cramped-but-still-kinda-nonlinear kind found in Human Revolution. I also appreciated the increase in difficulty when it came to getting through levels non-lethally, as well as being forced to use my speed and cloak augs on occasion to avoid detection, though my brief experiments with going-full combat seemed as easy as ever (though more demanding than DX in the final areas, given the larger number of enemies you can face at a time; plus I also played on normal and I imagine things can become more difficult by increasing NPC quantities and/or decreasing item quantities and/or player health).

I was really impressed with the amount of narrative and gameplay-affecting C&C. This is the New Vegas of Deus Ex in that you have a major faction choice (went PDX of course), a minor faction choice (didn't want to pick a side or instigate the conflict by betraying both, but ended up getting hated by all because someone "saw" me in the city that's supposed to be hidden. Oh well, I can buy it, I guess) and everyone except mods and the other faction leader can be killed or knocked out at any time. Witcher 2, eat your heart out. It even has ending slides!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also get a buzzing in my head every time someone pats me on the back and gives me more money for refusing to kill people.
2my1d9t.png

Aw yeah that's the stuff. A bit of a shame that I didn't get any acknowledgement for ignoring Kylie though (or for knocking out the aliens; those dead bodies in the ending cutscene certainly weren't from me).

Last but not least, the music was fantastic. The composers did a great job of creating a soundtrack in the spirit of Alexander Brandon's. The title track particularly won me over with its fake-out non-ending; I love those.

This mod gets the Roguey seal of reluctant approval. +M

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
"Furthermore, the sewers in the corporate sector must have been designed extremely poorly on purpose to discourage you from exploring them, because I have no idea how anyone could think including that map was a good idea. I'm glad they're completely optional."
That's actually more or less the case. The sewers were designed to be super confusing on purpose, to appeal to the kind of people who like to sketch out maps on paper or something.

Fists are kinda cool but mostly inferior to real weapons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom